Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:31 PM

53 posts, read 177,812 times

Advertisements

To be honest, I think you are all right - but at different stages of life. The walk-ability and being close to everything is great when you are just starting out with owning a home and having babies ... just moving away from condos - but priorities shift real quick after that baby goes up and is going to school, or is entering middle school and you are thinking ahead...

My husband and I joke about this all the time - concentric circles... we started off in Cambridge, moved a little bit away (Arlington) and then a little more (Winchester) and are now thinking about a 2 acre place near 495... at this point we spend most of our life in a car anyway!

Pretty soon, we want to be back at the first circle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 02:43 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG001 View Post
To be honest, I think you are all right - but at different stages of life. The walk-ability and being close to everything is great when you are just starting out with owning a home and having babies ... just moving away from condos - but priorities shift real quick after that baby goes up and is going to school, or is entering middle school and you are thinking ahead...

My husband and I joke about this all the time - concentric circles... we started off in Cambridge, moved a little bit away (Arlington) and then a little more (Winchester) and are now thinking about a 2 acre place near 495... at this point we spend most of our life in a car anyway!

Actually, I wanted the walkability most for my middle schooler. I love that he can walk places and even take the T with his friends if they want to, for example, go out for hamburgers for lunch when they have an early release day. I think the city is great for kids. We're not in the city, but I love how we're in a more urban town than we used to be. We moved here from another area, and we were in a town that would be roughly comparable to those by 495. We couldn't stand how far out it was. I love going on the T with my kids.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 PM

295 posts, read 317,290 times
In a way, walkability or whatever it signifies may have lost some of its importance. You can get anything you want delivered next day on the Internet, including groceries, can meet and make friends all over the world any time of day, hail a ride anytime pretty much anywhere without the need for a cars, send emails instead of going to the post office, bank online, etc. There are even restaurants in Boston that will deliver out to the inner core burbs.

I grew up in the city so understand the conveniences it offers. but if the cities continue to change into its upscale monotony, I'm not 100% sure this is necessarily a positive, because the experiences become canned, and in a way, just as boring as the suburbs. But of course, the jobs and MBTA will always be there.

As for Arlington, I would move there in a heartbeat. But it won't be because of its walkability. In fact, we drive through Arlington quite a bit and while there are sidewalks, there are stretches of it that are pretty dark at night, the busier stretch of MA ave isnt exactly bustling with people at any point during the day with everything pretty sparse and not central at all. The bike trail is definitely a plus.

Last edited by Steephill2; 05-09-2016 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
In a way, walkability or whatever it signifies may have lost some of its importance. You can get anything you want delivered next day on the Internet, including groceries, can meet and make friends all over the world any time of day, hail a ride anytime pretty much anywhere without the need for a cars, send emails instead of going to the post office, bank online, etc. There are even restaurants in Boston that will deliver out to the inner core burbs.
I disagree, at least for myself. Sometimes I need something right now, or today. Like when my 6th grader tells me today that he must have a specific book for English class by tomorrow. I like being able to run over to the local bookseller and get it. (Although I can't walk there. But I could take the T if I wanted to.)

Yes, I can call up and have any number of things delivered to me, but I'd go stir crazy never leaving the house. Sometimes I just want to get up, walk outside and interact with some people. Online interactions aren't really the same, although I have made some friends online.

Just yesterday, I realized I needed a level to hang some pictures, and we didn't have the one that was right. It was really nice, on the way to walking to get my son from school, I was able to walk over to the local hardware store, and buy the level, and then after I got my son, stop at Starbucks and get him a cookie, and then walk home. Sure, I could have ordered the level from amazon and had it delivered to my house in two days, or one day if I wanted to pay extra, (or in some cases even have it delivered that same day), but I guess for me there is that intangible quality that I like, being able to just walk over and interact with some people and fulfill that need myself.

I like going out to eat. I love it when I patronize a restaurant so frequently that they know my name and what I typically order. I guess if you don't care about that sort of thing, then walkability isn't much of an issue (although, ironically, most places where you can get delivery tend to already have relatively high walkability scores). For me it is a huge plus.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:06 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I disagree, at least for myself. Sometimes I need something right now, or today. Like when my 6th grader tells me today that he must have a specific book for English class by tomorrow. I like being able to run over to the local bookseller and get it. (Although I can't walk there. But I could take the T if I wanted to.)

Yes, I can call up and have any number of things delivered to me, but I'd go stir crazy never leaving the house. Sometimes I just want to get up, walk outside and interact with some people. Online interactions aren't really the same, although I have made some friends online.

Just yesterday, I realized I needed a level to hang some pictures, and we didn't have the one that was right. It was really nice, on the way to walking to get my son from school, I was able to walk over to the local hardware store, and buy the level, and then after I got my son, stop at Starbucks and get him a cookie, and then walk home. Sure, I could have ordered the level from amazon and had it delivered to my house in two days, or one day if I wanted to pay extra, (or in some cases even have it delivered that same day), but I guess for me there is that intangible quality that I like, being able to just walk over and interact with some people and fulfill that need myself.

I like going out to eat. I love it when I patronize a restaurant so frequently that they know my name and what I typically order. I guess if you don't care about that sort of thing, then walkability isn't much of an issue (although, ironically, most places where you can get delivery tend to already have relatively high walkability scores). For me it is a huge plus.

Agreed on all points and don't think our perspective will really change over time.

We lived in South End, Bay Bay, Beacon Hill for almost 15 yrs and my wife was also in Coolidge corner for a few years. After a lot of comparison shopping we found that Arlington/Belmont/Newton center would likely give us the best balance based on our wish list with some semblance of the walkability that we were used to. We ended up in Belmont.

Staying put was not an option as we wanted a house, more room in general, yard, neighborhood etc for the 2 kids as they grow older .... we do have friends who stayed put and are raising their kids in Back Bay ...... but we have far more friends who are looking to move from downtown but not ready for the full suburb experience........different strokes for different folks and all that.

Getting back on track, I am not surprised that Arlington real estate is where it is as it ticks a lot of the boxes.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:05 PM

295 posts, read 317,290 times
It is most definitely different for everyone. For myself, I goto big box stores for hardware and school supplies, and thats if its not attainable online, but those places are not traditionally located in walkable areas. Can't wait til we have same day deliveries via drones though. But if having a a local bookstore and a hardware store down the street is a priority then I respect that. The only problem is that there is a lot of pressure on these types of mom and dad shops to stay in business, not only from competition from larger corporations, but also operating costs/overhead such as rising rent costs as these towns get more expensive. And thats not counting the disruption the Internet has caused from a shopping and convenience standpoint. Some of these places close early or may not even open on weekends at all. Arlington itself has lost smaller more regional entities like Foodmaster and the Chateau to larger replacements. But at the end of the day, that doesnt have much impact on walkability, although the suburban/urban experience may start to get blurred, possibly eroding the "neighborhood" and "everyone knows your name" feel. Kinda like Target next to Fenway Park.

Last edited by Steephill2; 05-10-2016 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG001 View Post

That's your experience, and it's probably not uncommon but ours is pretty much the opposite. Having more than 75% of your classmates within a 1/2 of a mile radius, and quite a few just within 250 feet is really convenient for the kids. Walking to a diverse selection of restaurants, museums, and parks with the kids is pretty awesome too. When they become teens, the level of independence they can have in an urban neighborhood is something I would have died for when I was a teen growing up in isolation. Our neighbor's teens walk or bike around constantly and jump on the T like it's second nature. They also have little interest in getting a driver license which statistically makes them much safer. For us, our car sits in the driveway Monday-Friday, kids get around mostly by biking, walking or by scooter.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
It is most definitely different for everyone. For myself, I goto big box stores for hardware and school supplies, and thats if its not attainable online, but those places are not traditionally located in walkable areas. Can't wait til we have same day deliveries via drones though. But if having a a local bookstore and a hardware store down the street is a priority then I respect that. The only problem is that there is a lot of pressure on these types of mom and dad shops to stay in business, not only from competition from larger corporations, but also operating costs/overhead such as rising rent costs as these towns get more expensive. And thats not counting the disruption the Internet has caused from a shopping and convenience standpoint. Some of these places close early or may not even open on weekends at all. Arlington itself has lost smaller more regional entities like Foodmaster and the Chateau to larger replacements. But at the end of the day, that doesnt have much impact on walkability, although the suburban/urban experience may start to get blurred, possibly eroding the "neighborhood" and "everyone knows your name" feel. Kinda like Target next to Fenway Park.

Yes, this has been an ongoing problem for a few decades now. It has been hard for mom and pop shops to stay open, when there is no way they can make use of the economies of scale and have to charge more and can't have the same selection as a big box store. But, I've been very impressed that it seems especially in the Boston area, that people are very dedicated to shopping locally and make it a priority.

I moved here from a very suburban suburb, and there were very few mom and pop shops. I was ecstatic to have some shopping, even big box stores, finally open up near us -- not walkable, but a 10 minute drive. I can't say I hate the big box stores -- I do like the value they offer, and I do like the selection, and I have tons of stuff from Target.

And I know amazon is evil, but I can't help but have some love for them. I buy quite a bit from them. I love books, and I love to support my local bookstores. There is nothing like the experience of walking around a bookstore and discovering a book you'd like to read, or getting a personalized recommendation from a bookseller -- that's something you can't get at amazon. I try to buy books from the local bookstore when I can, but I admit, if there is a new hardcover book I want, and I can get it at amazon for $14, whereas I'll have to pay $35 at the local store, it's really hard for me to do that. But if it's a paperback and it's a difference of $12 versus $14, I'm willing to pay that $2 to support the local economy and keep the bookstore in business. (I also have a personal policy where if I discover the book from the bookshop, I have to buy it at the bookshop, even if it is more. Whereas, if I discover the book online somehow, then I'll buy it on amazon.)

So I absolutely get the draw of big box and online retailers. But, small shops and restaurants are great things. You can't get a restaurant experience online. And yes, many of the hours are not as convenient, and yes, you may need to pay a bit more, but when you know you're directly supporting your neighbors and helping to keep a neighborhood feel, well, I'm willing to pay a little extra for that.

And again, especially on a beautiful, sunny day like today, it's nice to get out and walk. Today, I'd prefer to walk to Target than have to get in my car and drive 20 minutes. So walkability is still a big thing.

(And also, we as humans take up way more space than we need. Encroaching on all the space where the other earthlings live creates problems, such as with disease-- we get emerging diseases when we're in closer contact with other critters than we have been before. This is one reason for the emergence of Lyme disease. So by creating lots of sprawl, we're doing additional harm to ourselves and the planet beyond the obvious.)

Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
The one underlying driving force in most of this thread is "what we must do and/or did for the kids", thus unless one has some of the little nippers their desires/beliefs/needs are quite different.

I do not have children and for many years lived in large cities but as I aged and my needs changed (I wanted country clubs, garages, use of an automobile to get places, not sharing things, peace, quiet, close to work, etc.) I gyrated to a private home in the suburbs.

I often consider moving back into a city but I am very comfortable where I am.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:10 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Yes, this has been an ongoing problem for a few decades now. It has been hard for mom and pop shops to stay open, when there is no way they can make use of the economies of scale and have to charge more and can't have the same selection as a big box store. But, I've been very impressed that it seems especially in the Boston area, that people are very dedicated to shopping locally and make it a priority.
True but the more walkable the neighborhood, the more foot traffic you get walking into the local stores. If you need to drive to a specific destination like Target every time you need something you are more likely to pass that up and go online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts