Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 1,757 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my girlfriend to MA from the Jersey Shore area. We are both in our mid-20s. I did go to college in Boston and would love to be back in the city, but the prices for city apartments are absolutely insane.

We need a 2BR since we have two cats, one of which has to be separated from the other due to a contagious illness.. thus the second bedroom. Our budget is up to $2,000-2,100 max for a 2BR.

We took a look at the areas of Framingham/Natick, Acton, Wilmington, Burlington, North Andover, Lawrence, Georgetown and Newburyport.

Off the bat, Framingham/Natick did not excite us too much and looked far too congested. We were too afraid to stop our car in Lawrence!! It looks like a very high crime area, but maybe we just went to a bad section? Newburyport was amazing but it seems to be too far from Boston if we wanted to meet friends, etc.

My job will have me traveling all around the immediate Boston area, so our focus area was narrowed to anything off I-93, as far north as the Tewksbury-ish area. Ideally we like Wilmington and Andover/North Andover.

Does anyone have any good experiences at apartment complexes in this region? We just want something safe, close to some sort of social life (i.e. Georgetown seemed too rural when we checked it out) and within 40mins of Boston.

As of now our ideal choice is a place in Andover right off I-93 at the intersection of I-93/133. Google Maps says the typical drive into Boston/Fenway area is 30mins. Would this easily double with commute traffic?

P.S. does anyone have some insight regarding what a typical rent increase percentage is in MA? In NJ we have seen almost all complexes raise rent about 4-8% per year. Just curious if MA has any restrictions on this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 01:21 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,936,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njburrito View Post

As of now our ideal choice is a place in Andover right off I-93 at the intersection of I-93/133. Google Maps says the typical drive into Boston/Fenway area is 30mins. Would this easily double with commute traffic?

P.S. does anyone have some insight regarding what a typical rent increase percentage is in MA? In NJ we have seen almost all complexes raise rent about 4-8% per year. Just curious if MA has any restrictions on this.

Thanks!
Where exactly are you working? Andover to Fenway is only going to be 30 minutes when there is no traffic. Even right now on a Sunday afternoon Google Maps says its 50 minutes. If you work the graveyard shift, that might work. If not, you might want to consider public transportation, too.

In your shoes I'd look more at Waltham or find something from a private landlord in much closer in. Depending on where you'

Old 05-15-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Where exactly are you working? Andover to Fenway is only going to be 30 minutes when there is no traffic. Even right now on a Sunday afternoon Google Maps says its 50 minutes. If you work the graveyard shift, that might work. If not, you might want to consider public transportation, too.

In your shoes I'd look more at Waltham or find something from a private landlord in much closer in. Depending on where you'
I work for an IT company and will be sent to customer locations all around the Boston area, so it's hard to say exactly where I'll be working (different work site every day). My main work areas will likely include Waltham, Framingham, Marlborough, and Boston. I don't mind living 20-30mins from these areas and mainly want a pretty quiet yet civilized area where we can settle for 2-3 years until we decide where to buy a house.

How is the public transit from Andover to Boston? It looks like there's a commuter rail stop right in Andover but I'm curious as to some realistic trip times to the city / North Station.

I will check into Waltham-- we did consider it but it looked to be a bit too pricey for what you really get. But we will definitely take a second look. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2016, 03:13 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,238,906 times
Quote:
I work for an IT company and will be sent to customer locations all around the Boston area, so it's hard to say exactly where I'll be working (different work site every day). My main work areas will likely include Waltham, Framingham, Marlborough, and Boston. I don't mind living 20-30mins from these areas and mainly want a pretty quiet yet civilized area where we can settle for 2-3 years until we decide where to buy a house.

How is the public transit from Andover to Boston? It looks like there's a commuter rail stop right in Andover but I'm curious as to some realistic trip times to the city / North Station.

I will check into Waltham-- we did consider it but it looked to be a bit too pricey for what you really get. But we will definitely take a second look. Thanks!

During rush hour it would take at least an hour by car into Boston. I-93 traffic is horrible during rush hour. The commuter rail is an option though the Andover stop isin't close to the 133 apartment complexes. You're best option might be driving to the Anderson transit center and taking the rail in, that would still take an hour though.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:52 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,936,429 times
Quote:

1) Unless you NEED a complex, you'll find much better deals on Craigslist from private landlords.
2) what you're getting in Waltham should include about 30 minutes+ each way of not waiting in traffic. You also get a more active city.
3) Andover is probably great once you're ready for the suburban life. That was me at 25 and even I lived in Belmont.

Where in NJ are you coming from? What in NJ terms would you be looking for?

Old 05-15-2016, 04:50 PM

550 posts, read 682,329 times
Andover has more apt complexes than NA. There is one on Lowell St super close to 93. North Andover only has one apt complex and that's Royal Crest. My advice is to stay away from there because it is one big college dorm. Merrimack College is right across the street and a lot of college students rent at Royal Crest.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 PM

3,690 posts, read 7,441,895 times
Not sure if your budget is high enough, but Burlington and Woburn would be better options in my opinion.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,734,752 times
I'd suggest looking to see if you can find something in Melrose. I think it might be a little more exciting of a location than some of the others you mention for someone your age.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
1) Unless you NEED a complex, you'll find much better deals on Craigslist from private landlords.
2) what you're getting in Waltham should include about 30 minutes+ each way of not waiting in traffic. You also get a more active city.
3) Andover is probably great once you're ready for the suburban life. That was me at 25 and even I lived in Belmont.

Where in NJ are you coming from? What in NJ terms would you be looking for?
We considered a private rental through Craigslist, etc., but have had some pretty horrible experiences with private landlords in the past. In total we've had 4 of them and all 4 broke the lease agreement by entering when not authorized, not having valid COs, not properly holding security deposits, etc. I'm sure we could find a good one but I feel more secure in a complex knowing they're typically more inclined to follow tenant laws. Definitely not ruling it out 100% depending on what we find though!

Waltham is sounding a little better, we'll give it a second look in a week or so when we head back up! We do want some sort of nearby downtown but want a young life also, and to be able to be around some other young people, so Waltham may be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
Andover has more apt complexes than NA. There is one on Lowell St super close to 93. North Andover only has one apt complex and that's Royal Crest. My advice is to stay away from there because it is one big college dorm. Merrimack College is right across the street and a lot of college students rent at Royal Crest.
We are looking at one right off 93 on Lowell St., probably the same place. As of now that's our #1 pick unless something else comes up. We did take a tour of Royal Crest but I agree, it was obvious the population is mostly students and the reviews / management feedback online leave a lot to be desired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Not sure if your budget is high enough, but Burlington and Woburn would be better options in my opinion.
We took a look around Burlington and Woburn but it seems like it's about $300-500/mo above our budget for most of the places that are comparable to places in Andover, North Andover and Wilmington. If you know of any 2BR in Burlington/Woburn for the <$2,200 range feel free to let me know! I've had pretty bad luck finding any myself, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'd suggest looking to see if you can find something in Melrose. I think it might be a little more exciting of a location than some of the others you mention for someone your age.
Hmm we've never thought of Melrose! Is that a safer town or does it have a pretty decent reputation? It's definitely closer to Boston. It looks like Stoneham is also nearby-- is that a good area? It looks like apartments are fairly cheap in Stoneham so I'm curious if there's an underlying reason.

Thanks all for the help!

Old 05-15-2016, 09:50 PM

317 posts, read 332,519 times
I have rented in the Boston area 7 times. Could be my good luck, but I've never had those things happen. In fact, I'd say people in general are less satisfied with bigger complexes around here. Extreme raising of rent, impossible to break lease, noisy neighbors with no recourse, etc. You can definitely get a better deal moneywise with a private lease as well. With that budget why live in the far out suburbs, when you could get a decently nice place close to the city. When you are a married suburbanite like me you will never regret having lived in/near the city in your 20s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts