Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:46 PM

50 posts, read 53,607 times

Advertisements

We gathered a few list of note worthy items we want in a home. And we will probably keep adding to this list.

One of the thought we have is - may be hold off on the purchase now and save up money for the next year.
Meanwhile, if we identify a community coming up somewhere, speak with the builder about the things we want in the home - or if we surprisingly find a lot somewhere that is in the middle of a community or a cul-de-sac - may be see if a builder can help us with that.

But, in order to do that - I just want to see if folks here have an idea of how much it would cost to build a home with requirements such as in this spreadsheet? I know these are mostly very nice to have things and I should probably speak to a builder first - but I don't even want to start this if someone says - this excluding the lot, permits etc - will still cost over $250-$300 per sqft. I would then better stick to the cookie-cutter builders.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...UkmxoXOqWSzxc/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 01:58 PM

1,199 posts, read 640,392 times
Is "vaasthu" the Hindu version of Feng Shui? I noticed it's a higher priority on the spreadsheet than schools and even ceilings, so you might need to shell out extra for a special consultant.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Is "vaasthu" the Hindu version of Feng Shui? I noticed it's a higher priority on the spreadsheet than schools and even ceilings, so you might need to shell out extra for a special consultant.

yeah
My wife and in laws are great with that and they frequently consult the priests from back in India to advise on exact locations where certain rooms should be facing, home should be facing etc.
If the home is getting built - my assumption is that we will know these conditions upfront and we will get a chance to speak with the builder and the architect upfront as to if there are any modifications required, they can be done.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:49 PM

9,899 posts, read 7,249,396 times
"Retail" price for a basic spec house today with average finishes is about $200/sq. ft. not including the lot. What you are looking for could easily start hitting $250-300/sq. ft. That 5 burner stove and industrial hood could cost $15K alone and the glass wall depending on size might be $20K. The double stairway will be in the $20K range.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
"Retail" price for a basic spec house today with average finishes is about $200/sq. ft. not including the lot. What you are looking for could easily start hitting $250-300/sq. ft. That 5 burner stove and industrial hood could cost $15K alone and the glass wall depending on size might be $20K. The double stairway will be in the $20K range.

wow ! That is really costly - I wonder if most of that per sq ft cost you referred to is taking into consideration that contractors and builders are now really busy with new constructions and hence you have to pay them more to get to work on your project?

I heard average build home could be around 125-150 sq ft range !!!

If a decent home is $200/sqft - how do custom builders even make money with some decent homes in littleton, groton or for that matter any non-great school district - because it looks like the new homes in those areas that are listed are around 200-250sqft range ...

Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 AM

3,690 posts, read 7,444,748 times
I built several homes in Essex County from 1999-2004. Building a custom home is not for the faint of heart and very rarely for a first time buyer. Further, it is usually less expensive to buy an existing home than build a new construction home.

I would expect a 3200 sq ft, 4BR, 3BA house with your specifications list would easily cost $700,000 retail cost to build, that includes the builder's profit but does not include the cost of the land.

Depending on the community, a buildable lot in Eastern MA, could cost from $150,000 - $600,000, or more. Add that price to your construction cost of $700,000, and you have the price for your completed home.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,033,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuseddesi View Post
If a decent home is $200/sqft - how do custom builders even make money with some decent homes in littleton, groton or for that matter any non-great school district - because it looks like the new homes in those areas that are listed are around 200-250sqft range ...
You're paying retail.

They're paying wholesale.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:05 PM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Not to mention you are getting builder grade materials if you expect to build a home on the cheap. Hollow core doors, generic base trim and casings, cheaper grade floors and building materials. Etc.

I helped a friend spec out his house he built (since he knows nothing about construction and I was involved in the trades in my 20's) and just upgrading from the basic stuff is where things get spendy. Delays...there were plenty. Having to extend apartment leases month to month and paying the inflated rent gets old. Then you gotta deal with the post house blues of dealing with shrinkage (cracks in drywall and spreading of moldings/casings) and getting contractors back to fix various things, or getting warranty service on the appliances bought by the contractor and covered under their warranty, vs dealing with it directly yourself. One of the houses in the development ended up getting a HUGE crack in the foundation about a year later, and it was a PITA dealing with getting that fixed.

In the end, after dealing with all that, i don't think I'd ever build a house. It would have been less of a headache finding a house that was less than 10 years old, and just making the offer and moving in 45 days later. All these new houses are built pretty much the same basic Colonial style anyway.

I helped build some pretty cool houses in my 20's. Some well into the million dollar range...even for 10-15 years ago.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:01 PM

9,899 posts, read 7,249,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuseddesi View Post
wow ! That is really costly - I wonder if most of that per sq ft cost you referred to is taking into consideration that contractors and builders are now really busy with new constructions and hence you have to pay them more to get to work on your project?

I heard average build home could be around 125-150 sq ft range !!!

As noted, that $125-150 is not even reasonable in this area.

Check out this house:

12 Virginia Rd, Burlington, MA 01803 - Recently Sold Homes & Sold Properties - realtor.com®

The builder paid $350K for the lot and then he has the cost of demolishing the old home and he added an underground propane tank so who knows his base cost. The house is 3090 square feet.

Original asking price was $960K. Less $350K leaves $610K/3090 is $197/sq. ft - right around the $200 I mentioned for a spec house. Final selling price was $899K. Less $350K leaves $549K/3090 is $177/sq ft. I saw the house - it uses basic Schlage locks, solid core Masonite doors - not wood, basic plumbing fixtures, vinyl siding. The granite is nice but nothing very expensive. The master bath looks nice but again, nothing special and the guest baths use fiberglass surrounds - low cost. It's pretty but it's nothing special

As for Littleton and Groton, the lot cost them much less than the one I listed. This house:

43 Bruce St, Littleton, MA 01460 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

cost $150,000 for a raw lot. There's no sewer. The finishes aren't anything special. Baths - again the master is nice but the guest is fiberglass. Again, it's a pretty spec house with nothing really special.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As noted, that $125-150 is not even reasonable in this area.

Check out this house:

12 Virginia Rd, Burlington, MA 01803 - Recently Sold Homes & Sold Properties - realtor.com®

The builder paid $350K for the lot and then he has the cost of demolishing the old home and he added an underground propane tank so who knows his base cost. The house is 3090 square feet.

Original asking price was $960K. Less $350K leaves $610K/3090 is $197/sq. ft - right around the $200 I mentioned for a spec house. Final selling price was $899K. Less $350K leaves $549K/3090 is $177/sq ft. I saw the house - it uses basic Schlage locks, solid core Masonite doors - not wood, basic plumbing fixtures, vinyl siding. The granite is nice but nothing very expensive. The master bath looks nice but again, nothing special and the guest baths use fiberglass surrounds - low cost. It's pretty but it's nothing special

As for Littleton and Groton, the lot cost them much less than the one I listed. This house:

43 Bruce St, Littleton, MA 01460 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

cost $150,000 for a raw lot. There's no sewer. The finishes aren't anything special. Baths - again the master is nice but the guest is fiberglass. Again, it's a pretty spec house with nothing really special.

I saw the bruce st interiors - they are pretty nice when compared to other new homes in the market - however it does nothing really special like you mention.

Are there any contemporary builders in the new england area who aren't just doing colonial homes - or at least better than these normal interiors or construction? !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts