Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 35,981 times

Advertisements

Hey I need someone who LIVES in holyoke to tell me what I'm getting in to. I'm moving to James Street, and my landlord said he hasn't really had problems living there. The main reason I'm moving is to get away from my parents and be closer to HCC. I live in West Brookfield now, so this is going to take a lot of getting used to I realize this... But is my neighboorhood in holyoke really going to be an issue? Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 11:05 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
Go there and look around.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM

I have looked around, it seems ok but ive never lived in a a city before so i dont know what to comare it to. i was jsut hoping someone on here has lived/lives on james street or in that vecinity to give me some insight.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 101,703 times
Have you looked at Neighboring Westfield, Easthampton and Southampton?
They are a little bit more Rural.
There is a bus that runs on Route 202 in Westfield, right by HCC.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,226 times
Drive through Holyoke. Spend some time on James Street at different hours of the day. Also venture into Easthampton and Westfield and see how you feel about those different areas.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 AM

thanks, I'm kind of locked in now, paid my lease.. So maybe after the lease runs out I'll decide more rural si the way to go. thank you

Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 41,262 times
Default Holyoke

I've lived there for the past 3 years. I'd best compare this neighborhood to a tuna fish sandwich - when you load on the mayo its creamy goodness shines; when it's dry, you feel like puking. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 41,262 times
Default Just some clarification......

......to my previous post. I realize now that it probably seemed a bit cryptic. By "mayo" I meant real mayonnaise, like Hellmann's or Cain's, not that low-fat Miracle Whip crapola. Secondly, "tuna" referred to canned tuna, not tuna steaks that you would throw on a grill. The canned tuna I referred to is the kind packed in water, NOT oil. By "its creamy goodness shines" I meant that its deliciousness (if there is even such a word) is apparent - there is no question or doubt. "Puking" was just that - vomiting.

Hopefully with this clarification the previous post now makes sense. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:37 PM

40 posts, read 166,359 times
Well, I have some friends and a brother who attend HCC. I live in Chicopee, a close neighbor to Holyoke. I know your really interested in someone who lives there, but I do have some insight on the area.

Holyoke is not that bad as what you may have heard.

I'll first start off telling you about the neighborhood. James Street is located in the offskirts of downtown Holyoke and somewhat serves as the connection in linking the downtown to the other half of Holyoke. James Street is located right between Elmwood and Springdale Parks. Both are actually parks that are currently being invested in for major upgrades. Especially, Springdale. It's relatively a safe area so you probably wont have a major problem. Most of Hoyloke in that matter is safe. There just happens to be some areas that are pretty rough. People say it's unsafe to walk, I've walked the area and I actually noticed that the neighbors are very kind and want change in the city. They are doing the most they can do to help improve it. Peoipel also say it's a bad spot to drive through at night, no it isn't I've driven down there plenty of times and nothing bad has happened.

A word of advice, when you do move in get to know your neighbors and be friendly. That way you know them and at the same time they will trust you. You will watch over the neighborhood the same way they watch over it.

If you like it than you will have no problem. But, to be reassured talk to your neighbors ask them what they think. Your landlord probably doesnt even live their so always ask others. If you really are worried, check Holyokes city website, specifically the police. They usually have some insight on the area. If not on the website, go to the station and ask them about it. They will surely be gald to help you. Another good factor is the fact that the police chief: Chief Scott is all into the idea of safety and on eliminating crime.

And trust me the good neighbor policy does work. If you help the neighborhood to become better, your neighbors will want to help too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts