Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times

Advertisements

Hello -- My friend and baby (8mo) are coming for a visit this weekend. I had a lot of great ideas but they were all outdoors and now the weather isn't looking great (not going to complain because we need the rain). It seems like the storm system will be pretty large so I can't drive out from it.

I think the Aquarium will be the way to go at least one day. It sounds like the Children's Museum is a bit too advanced for that age? Any other ideas? Hopefully the weather won't be awful all day on Saturday and we can check out Ignite. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:32 AM

649 posts, read 817,019 times
Don't bother focusing on entertaining the child, its too little. I would never recommend the aquarium in the summer for someone with an infant, it is a MADHOUSE! Seriously, it can be dangerously over crowded and it is not a cheap activity with parking (good luck on a rainy day).

the DeCordova is awesome, has a kids space (Ymmv on an 8mo old) and has beautiful grounds in case the weather lets up.

the ICA can be parked at reasonably and you can drop baby and co. off in front and then streetpark.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Eh ... play it by ear ... it's only supposed to be showery .. not a total washout

Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 AM

48 posts, read 53,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Don't bother focusing on entertaining the child, its too little. I would never recommend the aquarium in the summer for someone with an infant, it is a MADHOUSE! Seriously, it can be dangerously over crowded and it is not a cheap activity with parking (good luck on a rainy day).

the DeCordova is awesome, has a kids space (Ymmv on an 8mo old) and has beautiful grounds in case the weather lets up.

the ICA can be parked at reasonably and you can drop baby and co. off in front and then streetpark.
Agreed on the aquarium. The irony is that people go to avoid rain, but they end up waiting in line for an hour in the rain just to get in.

I'd just deal with the rain. Faneuil Hall and the Public Market have indoor parts to escape for a little. There's that Discovery Museum in Acton that I hear is geared toward littler kids, and you can show your friend some of the historical sites in Lexington and Concord.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:03 AM

48 posts, read 53,869 times
You can check out Newton library's museum pass page for other ideas:

EventKeeper at Newton Free Library - Plymouth Rocket Web Calendar Solution

Old 08-10-2016, 09:48 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Don't bother focusing on entertaining the child, its too little.
Exactly. A baby that age you just have to deal with, not specifically entertain. Likely you'll be able to go to almost any restaurant you want and the baby will pretty much sit there. It's not until they're a tad older that they really become difficult to deal with. Focus on what you and your friend would like to do where it's not too much of a hassle carry/push the baby in a stroller, etc.

The only thing I can really think of are the museums. But, as was noted, you could probably do Fanueil Hall, as there's a lot of indoor space, since it might not be raining nonstop.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:06 AM

93 posts, read 83,040 times
There are a lot of cute indoor playspaces where you only pay the cost of the child. Imagine Cambridge near Alewife. Or Vinkari Safari in Woburn. I liked those a lot more when my daughter was a baby, less chaotic and less expensive too (adults are $20 dollars plus at all the museums).

Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 PM

187 posts, read 217,483 times
At 8 months I would focus on entertainment for you and your friend, lunch, museum that you would enjoy, shopping.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
The children's museum actually has a designated area for crawling babies. The baby may appreciate walking around the museum with a chance to get out of the stroller and sit (or crawl) and play.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The children's museum actually has a designated area for crawling babies.
Yes, this is true and the area (for children under 3 years old) is fairly large. I would ask your friend for some background if you haven't already. How mobile is the baby? If not able to crawl and move around there isn't much point in going to the Children's Museum. Even if they can I was always iffy about taking them to this room when under 1 year in age. All they are going to do is put stuff in their mouth and the museum is rife with germs. If your friend is less anal than me, it is worth getting a membership if you do go to the museum. The cost is tax deductible so there may not be a big difference between a membership and a single visit. The HUGE benefit is that there is a members only hour (9-10a) on the weekend. Once it opens to the general public it is a zoo. I generally take the kids there promptly at 9a, work our way upstairs by 10a and am out of there by 11a.

I agree that the aquarium will be packed and not interesting to an 8 month old.

The weekend is looking less like a washout and may just be scattered storms. I'd walk around with the baby and try to grab a few nice meals when it is asleep. For us, eating out with infants was easier than toddlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts