Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,408 times

Advertisements

My family and I are contemplating a move to the Boston area. Of course, we will need a place to live. We will be renting, at least at first. Our criteria:
-commuting to Norwood
-good schools (2 kids ages 8 & 2), but not so "good" that the kids have ulcers before they are 18.
-prefer more urban feel. Hate big yards and too much space and driving everywhere. Want to walk to the library, some restaurants, parks, etc.
-want kids to be able to walk to school and to play with their friends
-at the same time, a tiny little yard would be nice
-want a real downtown core
-don't care about bars. See: 2 little kids
-budget for renting (2 br is fine) max $2500
-need parking (at least 1, ideally 2 cars)
-would prefer not to feel like the "poor folk" in town

So based on my own research, I was thinking that Arlington (east or central) would satisfy the majority of what we want. But am I off base? And more importantly, would the commute make me hate life? How bad would it be, really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 12:17 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,941 times
Arlington makes no sense for a commute to Norwood. I'm not sure why you'd do that, especially since Arlington itself is pretty expensive compared to towns surrounding Norwood.

If you still want good schools bordering urban neighborhoods something like Milton or Dedham would be a much easier commute compared to Arlington. Plus Arlington has gotten so expensive that you can probably get more for your money in those places.

Newton is expensive, but not much more so then Arlington. And in Newton you'd cut your commute to Norwood in half. You could look at Needham too.

And again take a look at Milton. Although some of the parts of Boston that Milton borders aren't the nicest (Mattapan), although other parts on the eastern side border a fairly nice section of Dorchester.

Last edited by tysmith95; 03-25-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 12:42 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,730,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Arlington makes no sense for a commute to Norwood. I'm not sure why you'd do that, especially since Arlington itself is pretty expensive compared to towns surrounding Norwood.

If you still want good schools bordering urban neighborhoods something like Milton or Dedham would be a much easier commute compared to Arlington. Plus Arlington has gotten so expensive that you can probably get more for your money in those places.

Newton is expensive, but not much more so then Arlington. And in Newton you'd cut your commute to Norwood in half. You could look at Needham too.
Agree with this. Arlington is great, but not such a good commute to Norwood. Newton would be much better, although it will be tough to find a rental in that price range. Needham would also be great, but I don't know that there's much more available at that rate, either. But definitely give both towns a look to see if something does come up. Dedham is worth investigating. Maybe Natick, too.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:54 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Agree with this. Arlington is great, but not such a good commute to Norwood. Newton would be much better, although it will be tough to find a rental in that price range. Needham would also be great, but I don't know that there's much more available at that rate, either. But definitely give both towns a look to see if something does come up. Dedham is worth investigating. Maybe Natick, too.
Depends on what the OP is looking for. A brand new "luxury" apartment complex it would be difficult to find a place in Newton for 2500 a month. But looking at craigslist there are a couple of decent 2 and 3 options for under 2500 in Newton, a bunch of recently renovated older places. Needham doesn't have as many apartments so it actually might be harder, but still possible.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:11 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
Natick, Dedham, Norwood all have decent town centers, economic diversity and won't be nervous breakdown in the breakdown lane material like a commute from Arlington would be. Needham too if you can find that rare rental. Welcome to Mass.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,408 times
Thank you! One complication is that I'm not sure I'll be commuting to Norwood forever, yet we don't want to have to uproot our kids again down the road. Milton seems to have real potential in that regard--transit seems pretty convenient. I'm definitely exploring this further!

Old 03-25-2018, 02:54 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,730,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Depends on what the OP is looking for. A brand new "luxury" apartment complex it would be difficult to find a place in Newton for 2500 a month. But looking at craigslist there are a couple of decent 2 and 3 options for under 2500 in Newton, a bunch of recently renovated older places. Needham doesn't have as many apartments so it actually might be harder, but still possible.
This is true. Take a look at what is available in Newton. It is so convenient to almost everything.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:14 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acyle View Post
Thank you! One complication is that I'm not sure I'll be commuting to Norwood forever, yet we don't want to have to uproot our kids again down the road. Milton seems to have real potential in that regard--transit seems pretty convenient. I'm definitely exploring this further!
Milton has its charms, if you don't think you'd ever have to commute up 128 North to Lexington/Burlington/Waltham. Milton is next to towns with several red line stops going into Boston and Cambridge.

It's possible someone could end up commuting North on 128, if they work in certain areas of life sciences or IT. If that is not either of you, then little to worry about.

Commuting between North and South of Boston is rougher than commuting between East and West, from any point. You'll find out soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts