Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:37 AM

73 posts, read 61,931 times

Advertisements

Framingham to become a city (legally and politically), 67K+ people is a city statistically, but surely this will have some impact. What's the impact of this on development and real estate? I would think it may help downtown and near transit.

My biggest fear with possibly buying in Framingham is the economic reliance on retail and big box commercial. Companies are going out of business left and right that are in this industry and I wonder how this will impact the commercial tax base (which in turn impacts residence tax base and availability of jobs). Malls in general are in decline, how will route 9 commercial do? How will Staples corporate sale impact jobs there? In some ways all towns within the I495 corridor benefit from the booming Boston area market place lead by GE, healthcare, education, etc. but wonder if any towns like Framingham (Burlington, Braintree, Peabody also with big malls) will be impact within the macro economic trends going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
This is literally a paperwork issue. Will have almost no bearing on anyone's life.

With regards to the reliance of retail, I wouldn't worry about it that much. Today's retail store can always be rezoned in the future.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:02 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
As I understand it, and I have not researched it at all, it mostly has to do with the form of government the town/city has. I don't really see how it would have a significant impact on whether retail stores locate in the area.

There will always be a need for bricks and mortar retail. No matter how popular online sales get. And people will always want restaurants. Framingham's physical location is very desirable -- it is kind of centrally located to several different employment hubs, it is not far from highly desirable towns, it is not insanely far from Boston, and it has the train and Logan Express.

I would expect Framingham to only increase in value over time.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:24 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
As I understand it, and I have not researched it at all, it mostly has to do with the form of government the town/city has. I don't really see how it would have a significant impact on whether retail stores locate in the area.

There will always be a need for bricks and mortar retail. No matter how popular online sales get. And people will always want restaurants. Framingham's physical location is very desirable -- it is kind of centrally located to several different employment hubs, it is not far from highly desirable towns, it is not insanely far from Boston, and it has the train and Logan Express.

I would expect Framingham to only increase in value over time.
Yes, Framingham property value is based on location and compatibility to other places not based on local businesses.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airunxc View Post
Framingham to become a city (legally and politically), 67K+ people is a city statistically, but surely this will have some impact. What's the impact of this on development and real estate? I would think it may help downtown and near transit.

My biggest fear with possibly buying in Framingham is the economic reliance on retail and big box commercial. Companies are going out of business left and right that are in this industry and I wonder how this will impact the commercial tax base (which in turn impacts residence tax base and availability of jobs). Malls in general are in decline, how will route 9 commercial do? How will Staples corporate sale impact jobs there? In some ways all towns within the I495 corridor benefit from the booming Boston area market place lead by GE, healthcare, education, etc. but wonder if any towns like Framingham (Burlington, Braintree, Peabody also with big malls) will be impact within the macro economic trends going on.
Burlington has a lot more going on career wise than the Burlington mall, with all the tech businesses in that 128 area.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:00 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airunxc View Post
Statistically Framingham was the largest town in Massachusetts. Should population size be a factor in determining the most appropriate form of local government?

Old 04-10-2017, 06:00 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Statistically Framingham was the largest town in Massachusetts. Should population size be a factor in determining the most appropriate form of local government?
Typically, a large population means a more transient (renters) population and a lower voter turnout. A representative town meeting government with a population that size often makes it hard to get people committed to serve as town meeting representatives. Those that do run for office are typically home owners and that can concentrate to power to a select few. Further, those that do run and win tend to run and win forever and that may create a "townie" mentality within town government.

Under a mayor/city council government, it creates a more level playing field especially with the at-large councilors who represent the entire population, not just their district.

What is interesting is that only 11,000 registered voters - about 28% - came out and voted on this.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:07 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
In a case like that, yes. It's ridiculous for a community with 67K to retain a town form of government. Weymouth finally made the switch years ago. So did Braintree and Franklin, all smaller than Framingham.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
What is interesting is that only 11,000 registered voters - about 28% - came out and voted on this.
I never heard of an April election until I moved to MA. Why we can't vote in November like the rest of the country is beyond me.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I never heard of an April election until I moved to MA. Why we can't vote in November like the rest of the country is beyond me.
A lot of places have primary elections in April or May and will hold votes on those days if an issue comes up. Usually turnout is significantly lower, which plays into the political considerations of the people who want the issue up for a vote. It's not strictly a MA thing, although I agree with you that it is probably better to do these things in November unless there is some urgent reason why it should be done in the Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts