Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:43 PM

53 posts, read 109,529 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been offered a job near Boston- something my wife and I would greatly appreciate to be a part of as they have a strong arts, sciences community (obviously). This would be an excellent position for us and I really hope that I can make this work out.

The job is located near scituate, hingham, cohasset areas. At first I Thought wow this is great, coastal community (I was told its only 30 min to Boston by company) and we can take the ferry if we want and so forth.

But now I see that the homes are very expensive. I'm also getting mixed signals that the area is or is not safe to live long term.

Can you guys please help my wife and I find a location that is safe to live in close to drive to work (I really really do not want to be driving 30 minutes a day to work in the snow) or take a train to work that is reliable in the winter so that I can accept this job offer?

My wife and I have a budget of 400k or less which I think is reasonable (My first real job, I do think I need to save as much as I can for retirement and I dont have much money in savings)- so I really would prefer a home in the 200-300 range. We would like the sqft size to be at least 1500. And yet with even this moderately sized home its almost impossible to find anything that is in our price range.

We are from the region that straddles the midwest and north east so this is a total price shock for us. I can't imagine how anyone can even afford to live in the boston area, save for retirement, and live in a safe place

Theres so much that the city and norhteast has to offer and I really really want to be a part of this!

Also Im a minority and am wary of the blue collar towns because of all the things that have been happening htis past year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 5,188 times
Hi josh238, unfortunate a budget of 400k within 30 minutes wont get you much of a home. I live in dartmouth about 45 min away from boston. It might be a bit farther than you wanted but at least you can get a nice home(400-250k) in a great school system. Low taxes, great community, downfall is no train. You would have to drive. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:33 PM

Does this mean you drive 45 min a day to Boston?
Because otherwise I'm not comfortable doing that.

I know people live in Portsmouth to Boston- is there a train service?

Just concerned about driving in the snow- my position would require me to come regardless of the weather unfortunately so access to the work place is essential

Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
There is a train from Portsmouth, but it takes a long time and it won't get you to Scituate. Hingham, Scituate and Cohasset are all safe but they would be out of your price range for a single family home. I'm not that familiar with prices on the South Shore anymore but perhaps a condo would be okay?

Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM

No issues with condos but theyre too expensive too.

So theres no where else I could live?!!!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:32 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Honestly, If you want the job I would look at renting first. Then you and your wife could investigate areas that you would feel comfortable living in and you don't mind the commute from. It's easier when you've been here awhile and are familiar with the traffic patterns.

This is a very expensive area of the country to live in and you wouldn't be the first to be shocked at the prices of homes.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:57 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh238 View Post
Hi, I have been offered a job near Boston- something my wife and I would greatly appreciate to be a part of as they have a strong arts, sciences community (obviously). This would be an excellent position for us and I really hope that I can make this work out.

The job is located near scituate, hingham, cohasset areas. At first I Thought wow this is great, coastal community (I was told its only 30 min to Boston by company) and we can take the ferry if we want and so forth.

But now I see that the homes are very expensive. I'm also getting mixed signals that the area is or is not safe to live long term.

Can you guys please help my wife and I find a location that is safe to live in close to drive to work (I really really do not want to be driving 30 minutes a day to work in the snow) or take a train to work that is reliable in the winter so that I can accept this job offer?

My wife and I have a budget of 400k or less which I think is reasonable (My first real job, I do think I need to save as much as I can for retirement and I dont have much money in savings)- so I really would prefer a home in the 200-300 range. We would like the sqft size to be at least 1500. And yet with even this moderately sized home its almost impossible to find anything that is in our price range.

We are from the region that straddles the midwest and north east so this is a total price shock for us. I can't imagine how anyone can even afford to live in the boston area, save for retirement, and live in a safe place

Theres so much that the city and norhteast has to offer and I really really want to be a part of this!

Also Im a minority and am wary of the blue collar towns because of all the things that have been happening htis past year
A few things to clear up:

1) Whoever told you it would be 30 minutes from Scituate to Boston was lying to you. Plain and simple. Maybe it would take 45 minutes at 2 am. Scituate is only defined as being "close to Boston" because there are people who commute in daily. In mileage terms it is close. In real world travel times, it is not.

2) You can't afford to live in Boston so there's no point in bothering. There are places within about a 30-45 minute drive from Scituate that you CAN afford. You just have to look. This will unfortunately mean you'll be about a 1 hour drive from Boston (on the weekend) living in a bedroom community, not a city.

Realistically going to Boston will be a special occasion for you.

3) You won't find a livable house for less than $300k unless you are willing to do a ton of work.

If your goal is "to move to Boston" then you will probably be disappointed and should stay where you are if you're happy. The cost of living here will eat you alive.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:08 PM

72 posts, read 69,589 times
^ That last sentence is so damn true.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:12 PM

72 posts, read 69,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh238 View Post
Does this mean you drive 45 min a day to Boston?
Because otherwise I'm not comfortable doing that.

I know people live in Portsmouth to Boston- is there a train service?

Just concerned about driving in the snow- my position would require me to come regardless of the weather unfortunately so access to the work place is essential

Dartmouth is 45 minutes on a perfectly sunny Tuesday day at 10:36am lol. It is a lovely town however.

If you're open to renting, I'd explore that.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Where exactly is the job? If you're working in Scituate you could commute from Pembroke, Plympton, Halifax, or Kingston, and you can find houses for under $400K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts