Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 AM

39 posts, read 160,983 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
My family is moving to the South Shore area this summer. We plan on only being there for 2-3 yrs. We are debating whether we should rent a house, as opposed to buying. It seems a lot of houses in the towns we are considering (Duxbury, Cohasset, Marshfield, Hingham) have been on the market a bit. The market has slowed down where we are as well and given that we are wondering whether we should rent and not have to deal with the hassle of selling when we are ready to move back. What are your thoughts?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
I'd say buy. Chances are the market won't be as bad to sell in 2 or 3 years as it is now. You are still taking a chance, but if your going to shell out $, at least have something to show for it. Plus after two years you avoid capital gains tax on your home when you sell.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
If you are definitely only going to be here for 2-3 years, it would probably be financially more prudent to rent instead of buy. There are many calculators that will tell you exactly what the difference would be, based on assumptions of home appreciation, market performance, resale costs, taxes, etc. you can estimate the costs to buy vs. rent. Here is one: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/bu...T_GRAPHIC.html

There are also non-economic factors, like the freedom and responsibilities associated with home ownership, so keep those in mind, too.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
If you are definitely only going to be here for 2-3 years, it would probably be financially more prudent to rent instead of buy. ........
I concur. If you really are out of here in a couple of three years then rent. More then five, buying begins to make sense.

Your call.

Rich

Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
If you buy, be very careful to choose something with the best prospect of resale. As you've noticed, homes are tending to "sit" on the market now, with no real evidence of exactly when that's going to turn around. Keep the odds on your side by buying a home with the kind of location and features that'll make it more attractive than the competition in your price range.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
I agree with the other posters. 2-3 years is not a long enough horizon to buy as you will have to pay closing costs on the purchase. I would recommend you rent.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
When you factor in the costs of buying (closing costs, etc) and the uncertainty of being able to sell your home on your time frame, and to hopefully at least breaking even, well IMO renting would most likely be the best option for you. "Been there, done that" and while buying was the best option for us when we relocated my family half-way across the country, these are uncertain times and you may be able to find a nice long-term rental from somebody who doesn't wish to take a loss to sell at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh1 View Post
Hi everyone
My family is moving to the South Shore area this summer. We plan on only being there for 2-3 yrs. We are debating whether we should rent a house, as opposed to buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts