Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 01:08 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times

Advertisements

Do Cambridge, somerville, Coolidge corner and similarly dense neighborhoods have mosquitos and other biting insects? Can you sit outside without getting eaten alive? What about Newton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 01:22 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Do Cambridge, somerville, Coolidge corner and similarly dense neighborhoods have mosquitos and other biting insects? Can you sit outside without getting eaten alive? What about Newton?
I mean, there are a few biting insects, especially near open water and preserved forest land, but it's really tame here. I live in a neighborhood that is squarely suburban and we can play outside with my girls without even having to worry about insect repellent. I'd expect it to be better in most areas of Cambridge/Somerville/Newton except in some pretty rare circumstances.

For what it's worth I grew up in Louisiana which is basically just one big pile of standing water, so my idea of "few biting insects" may be slightly biased.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:31 PM

1,016 posts, read 307,403 times
I lived near Tufts/Davis Square (Somerville) for many years, worked and spent a lot of time in Cambridge too and don't recall ever having a major problem with bugs. Maybe a fly or mosquito here or there. That's probably because those towns are not terribly woodsy.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:12 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
No mosquitoes or ticks in my area of Cambridge. I don't even need to close the screen door when the sliders are open. For me it's a huge pro of living in the city.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Two weeks in a row I happened to be at someone's house and we were outside on the patio. Both nights I was eaten alive by the damn mosquitos, with over a dozen mosquito bites all over my feet and legs. The first night I didn't realize we'd be outside and I had no repellant. The second, I had put on natural repellant, which turns out is pretty much useless. These outings were in Newton. So yes, plenty of mosquitos are hanging out in Newton.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Two weeks in a row I happened to be at someone's house and we were outside on the patio. Both nights I was eaten alive by the damn mosquitos, with over a dozen mosquito bites all over my feet and legs. The first night I didn't realize we'd be outside and I had no repellant. The second, I had put on natural repellant, which turns out is pretty much useless. These outings were in Newton. So yes, plenty of mosquitos are hanging out in Newton.
If I were ever to live in NE again, no way I could deal with the bugs. One of the nice things about CA.
What about Coolidge corner? Seems to be lots of green around there.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:08 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
If I were ever to live in NE again, no way I could deal with the bugs. One of the nice things about CA.
What about Coolidge corner? Seems to be lots of green around there.
I really hate bugs too, and despite my recent mosquito incidents, I haven't found the bugs in the area to be all that bad. Years ago, I lived near Coolidge Corner, but I spent summers in Chicago, so I can't speak to the bug situation there, specifically.

I don't like the bugs in the south. I don't want scorpions or poisonous spiders. Or the enormous beetles that Florida seems to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts