Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 AM

779 posts, read 877,739 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently a Verizon FIOS customer and have their bundle service, which costs over $200/month. For the past 6 months or more I've been debating whether I should just cut the cord and get a streaming service. We got a Roku to stream Amazon Prime shows and that's great. Here's the catch, though. I'm a big football fan. And I like watching the daily news, so being able to stream local channels is a dealbreaker for me.

It seems like Playstation Vue is my best bet as it seems they have some local channels that we can stream (CBS, NBC) + all the other stations that we tend to watch regularly and they have DVR service, which I definitely need. They don't have Nickelodeon, but don't tell my kids. I'm just curious if anybody else has made the jump and what their experience was like. Especially for those who watch local channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 10:51 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
I have you tried an HD antenna for local?

Old 08-24-2017, 11:03 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
How are you going to get internet service? At least with my Fios plan, internet+TV+phone is about the same price as internet by itself, at least if you aren't a new customer.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
How are you going to get internet service? At least with my Fios plan, internet+TV+phone is about the same price as internet by itself, at least if you aren't a new customer.
I can keep my Verizon FIOS 75Mbps internet for $65/month. Add playstation Vue and Ooma (I need to keep my landline) and Im guessing I'll be paying slightly more than $100/month for everything.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I haven't, but maybe I should give that a shot as a backup

Old 08-24-2017, 11:33 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Do you have any friends/relatives that would let you use their account? My daughter who lives in Georgia claims she can't afford cable so I let her log into my Comcast account and she can watch all the stations on her TV which gets internet.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 22,999 times
I've been using playstation vue for about 6 months now. Its been great so far. The quality of the feed has been excellent. A few items to note:

1. if your ISP meters your useage, then you'll risk going over if you watch a lot of TV. I don't think FIOS does so you shouldn't have a problem there.

2. Quality of the feed will depend on your internet speed, which means both ISP and your internal network. Obviously being hardwired to your router is going to be the best, but I use mine on wifi without issue, you just have to make sure that you are getting a good signal to your roku or whatever you end up using.

3. I use mine through a 1st gen amazon fire tv box and the PS Vue interface is quite laggy. Apparently this isn't an issue with the newer generation of fire tv boxes and sticks. PS Vue is almost unusable on the 1st gen fire tv sticks. So just something to be aware of. If you have laggy performance of the menus and such within PS Vue, it may be a hardware issue rather than a connection or PS Vue issue. When I use PS Vue on my ipad, its very snappy. None of this has any bearing on the quality of the picture once you select a channel, just navigating the guides / menus.

4. PS Vue counts as a tv service provider for the apps related to any of the channels you get on PS Vue. For instance, one of my issues in the Boston market is that you don't get live Fox, which matters to me for sports. Fortunately, you can authenticate the FoxSportsGo app and watch any of the live sports Fox offers through that. Same with something like NESN Go. When i'm traveling I can authenticate NESN Go with my PS Vue credentials and use the app to watch Sox / Bruins games.

To be quite honest, I haven't really missed not having cable. There is still nothing on TV ever, you just have hundreds of less channels of nothing on TV

Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I haven't, but maybe I should give that a shot as a backup
Results will vary based on location/obstructions. I live in a hilly area and I still pick up about 6 HD channels, and 6 or 7 SD. Its really all I need along with my Internet for streaming.My bill for internet only is less than $60 through RCN.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:27 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
+1

I can get all the locals and 10 out of Providence, including all the weird ones (25.3? 66.4?) and Spanish ones. To get WBTS (NBC), it's repeated at 60.5, but 10 is also NBC. $40 decent antenna on my patio gets all that.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:34 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
I cut the chord almost a year ago. It's been great. I had FiOS before that and my bill over the years had creeped up to almost $250/month for internet/phone/TV.

For local channels, I would definitely get an antenna. No point in paying for channels you can get for free. Plus, antennas are incredibly cheap. Check out a website like Antenna Fool to see what type of antenna would work best in your location.

To make TV use a bit more streamlined for my wife and kids, I invested in a Tablo DVR. It was a couple hundred but it basically turns your antenna feed into an electronic feed which you can view through an app on your Roku. This way you're not constantly switching inputs and you can record OTA shows as you'll. I guarantee you'll be shocked at how many OTA channels you'll get with an antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I can keep my Verizon FIOS 75Mbps internet for $65/month. Add playstation Vue and Ooma (I need to keep my landline) and Im guessing I'll be paying slightly more than $100/month for everything.
I use Sling for my streaming channels. They all offer different sets of channels. So, if there's one you need (my kids have to have Disney Jr.) that might force you to one provider over another but I certainly wouldn't let those channels be local OTA's that you can get with an antenna.

Also, as I mentioned I was with FiOS prior to cutting the chord. If you're not under a contract, I would highly recommend shopping around for a new ISP. On the Comcast website (not over the phone) I found internet service with 200/15 speeds for $50/month. The up speed is nothing to write home about but I can live with that being that the down speed is good. Plus, it was much cheaper than the 75/75 package Verizon was offering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts