Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 5,193 times

Advertisements

We are looking to make a home somewhere between Boston and Portsmouth. We are leaning towards northern Massachusetts.

My husband will be working in Portsmouth, NH. I’m self-employed and work from home. We are in our mid 40s and have two kids, ages 9 and 11.

We have spent the last year living in the South Loop of downtown Chicago, and we enjoy the walkability, the museums, the parks, the lake, and the access to a vast and colorful culture. We are renting a tiny apartment in a building that is new and shiny and full of young professionals. It’s been a great experience! But we’d like a small house with a yard, where our kids can stretch out a little bit and, ideally, have access to neighbors with kids. Our current budget is $350K. We would consider renting for a couple years until we save up more for a larger downpayment.

Before moving to downtown Chicago, we lived in an upper middle class suburb outside of Chicago. It was not a good fit for us. We would rather see native gardens than a chemical-soaked, weed-free, extremely well-manicured lawn. And I do not love shopping malls.

We are a mixed race family. I’m caucasian, my husband is asian.

Our eldest daughter excels in math, science, and art and is socially awkward. Our youngest daughter excels in language arts and music and is socially confident. We’d love to find a school that would be a good fit for them.

We tend to gravitate toward quirky, places with a creative atmosphere. A friend who lives in Northampton, MA (which we love, but is too far from Portsmouth) recommended we check out Salem, MA.

We would also consider Portland, ME … but my husband feels better living closer to Boston. He works in technology and wants to be nearer to a big job pool.

Thanks for any an all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 10:57 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,936,429 times
If your husband is working in NH and you're working from home, you'd do better in terms of taxes to stay out of Massachusetts. I'd look in New Hampshire if I were you, perhaps renting. Portsmouth is a fun town to visit (it's not Boston, but it's got a cute downtown).

Old 09-10-2017, 11:20 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,705,099 times
Financially living in NH is best as long as your husband works there.

I can say with much certainty that your budget is too low for MA if you want to live anywhere that is safe with a decent school system and a sane commute for your husband.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Good point, thank you! As you may know, the state of Illinois is currently in a financial crisis and the taxes in Illinois and Chicago are some of the highest in the nation. Makes leaving easier! We spent a couple days in Portsmouth this past summer, while visiting with friends who live in Maine, and really enjoyed our time there. Fell in love with the whole area, actually. So, when the opportunity to relocate presented itself, we said YES! Massachusetts has a great reputation, school-wise, which is very appealing. Would you say that trickles into New Hampshire?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,705,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneMolecule View Post
Good point, thank you! As you may know, the state of Illinois is currently in a financial crisis and the taxes in Illinois and Chicago are some of the highest in the nation. Makes leaving easier! We spent a couple days in Portsmouth this past summer, while visiting with friends who live in Maine, and really enjoyed our time there. Fell in love with the whole area, actually. So, when the opportunity to relocate presented itself we said YES! Massachusetts has a great reputation, school-wise, which is very appealing. Would you say that trickles into New Hampshire?
No. The mindset in New Hampshire is completely different. There is no income or sales tax and the government spends less on everything, including education.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:56 AM

3,690 posts, read 7,441,895 times
With a $350K budget, you're better off looking in NH.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
No. The mindset in New Hampshire is completely different. There is no income or sales tax and the government spends less on everything, including education.
Thanks. Good to know. We respect the independent nature of those living in New Hampshire. And we’re not looking for a top-tier, cut-throat school system. Actually, we’re trying to avoid schools with high-stakes testing … with some kids, it can kill the spark and the desire to learn. We just hope to find a school district where the teachers are supported and inspired, and where the kids are encouraged to be decent, thinking people.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,917,099 times
Maybe Exeter nh?

Old 09-10-2017, 01:54 PM

880 posts, read 822,146 times
If your husband wants to live near Boston for the job pool, I'm assuming means working in downtown boston, Cambridge,waltham area rather than the tech firms that are out in the far suburbs.

Living commutable distance to Boston with a budget of 350k (2 br at least) puts you in lower-middle class neighborhoods with very poor schools. Given this fact, you might want to scratch Boston area off your list completely.

Due to the NIMBY-attitude of Boston area, not enough housing has been built within commute distance (less than 1 hour) which has caused supply/demand inbalance where top earners have outbid everyone else and have driven any 'STARTER' house in a good school district to 700-800k

Old 09-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Thank you, everyone! My husband has been getting similar advice from colleagues. Looks like we're narrowing our search to New Hampshire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts