Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,548 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am a current Braintree resident and owner of a small 2 bedroom home. My husband and I are looking to sell and move to a new home hopefully next summer. Unfortunately, with our budget of 500k we will likely not be able to reside in Braintree. We are looking into some other South Shore towns. We are looking for a town that has good schools, a nice community feeling, and relatively affordable homes (500k budget, at least 1800 square feet, move in ready). We know the commute will be tough, but are hoping not to have to move to car from 93 considering we will both have to commute into Boston.

Some ideas - South Weymouth, Abington, Whitman, Hanover.

Any comments on the above communities? Any input on communities and schools.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 03:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,527 times
What are you looking for in a house? Because $500k seems to be a good budget for Braintree. Plus it meets your other requirements for schools, commute, etc.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:57 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,235,563 times
By move in ready maybe the OP is referring to a recent reno or newish build.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
By move in ready maybe the OP is referring to a recent reno or newish build.
Yes. Nobody wants to move to a property that needs work but sometimes you have to make compromises and buy a house that you'll need to update just for the schools and the commute.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:23 PM

23,587 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW717 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am a current Braintree resident and owner of a small 2 bedroom home. My husband and I are looking to sell and move to a new home hopefully next summer. Unfortunately, with our budget of 500k we will likely not be able to reside in Braintree. We are looking into some other South Shore towns. We are looking for a town that has good schools, a nice community feeling, and relatively affordable homes (500k budget, at least 1800 square feet, move in ready). We know the commute will be tough, but are hoping not to have to move to car from 93 considering we will both have to commute into Boston.

Some ideas - South Weymouth, Abington, Whitman, Hanover.

Any comments on the above communities? Any input on communities and schools.

Thanks!
Definitely Hanover over the others. S Weymouth would be the best commute but probably the worst schools.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:48 AM

55 posts, read 87,808 times
Hanover is the best of the towns you have listed. $500k would buy you something nice that would be move-in ready.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,548 times
Hi All,

Thank you for your responses!

I actually have had a hard time finding something is Braintree with adequate square footage (more than 1800 sq feet) that is not in need of a lot of work. I really want something that is newish so I do not need to do a big construction project.

I do understand about compromises - I just am not in A position to do a major reno at this time so would prefer something I can move into that I could be happy wth. Hence why I am looking at the surrounding communities.

Is Weymouth really as bad as everyone says it is?

Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 AM

10,029 posts, read 15,675,599 times
The schools aren't great. We had a poster on here who lived in Weymouth who was dying to get out because of the drug problems.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:57 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,568 times
We have friends in Weymouth. Their daughter is in kindergarten. AFAIK they haven't had any issues save the typical he-said-she-said stuff little kid skirmishes during recess. They will probably move once she hits maybe 4th or 5th grade because it's the upper grades which have the iffy reputation.

(FYI I've worked with a lot of Weymouth grads who weren't druggies or such. Many of them were attending area colleges at least PT. The drug issue is there, yes, but you can say the same thing about almost any high school anywhere, even the more *exclusive* ones).

Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 AM

550 posts, read 681,273 times
unfortunately drugs are everywhere even in more upscale communities. We have a bad heroine epidemic here in the Andover area which unfortunately has taken the lives of several Andover High students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts