Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:25 PM

9,253 posts, read 6,399,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
101, Manchester to Portsmouth to New Ipswich.
Yes, that makes sense. I agree with that demarcation point for flatlanders 100% percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 03:14 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,097,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
I might be uniquely qualified to discuss this. I was born in New Haven, moved to the Boston suburbs at age two and grew up there. Then I returned to CT for college, and stayed on for a few years, after which I moved to Northampton, MA, where I still am. I have traveled all over NE, including northern Maine, ALL of MA, ALL of CT, much of NH and VT and RI and ME. Though of course there is always more to see. So: my conclusion is that NE is indeed its own region, and that only the sports team fandom challenges that, along with the NYC-suburb quality of SOME of CT's Fairfield County (but even there, the folks see themselves as New Englanders, and the terrain and architecture, etc. look like the rest of NE, as others above have said). We are one of the most clearly defined regions in the US, and have more similarities than differences. Other than western CT, BTW, virtually the entire region, including VT, follows the Pats and the Sox, when you look at natives.
"Some" of Fairfield County? Fairfield, New Haven and Litchfield counties are all served by Metro North and are part of the NYC metro... and > half of the state's population resides there..

Old 02-04-2018, 03:28 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,064,144 times
Folks, there's more to New England than just Boston and MA. If the voting from Northern Pass taught anyone an example, NH is close to MA but not its subordinate.

When you close your eyes and ask people to picture New England, they think Mountains, covered bridges, fall foliage, colonial history, quaint cities or towns with villages or centers, lighthouses, seafood, maple syrup, rocky beaches, hidden lakes, and yes, Boston. But more importantly not just Boston. Much of New England is not Boston centric. Sure, they root for the Boston teams because they're local, sometimes they'll go to concerts, but in reality, most people aren't going to have a life around Boston unless they're in and around Rte.128/I-95, mostly, I-495, and to some extent towns near the Mass border east of Worcester county. There's a broader term for New Englanders than life in Cities, quite a few aren't city people at all, but enjoy nature and outdoor activities, as well.

I count CT (and VT) as part of New England. Whether CT residents agree is up to them.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:58 PM

21,669 posts, read 31,333,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Folks, there's more to New England than just Boston and MA. If the voting from Northern Pass taught anyone an example, NH is close to MA but not its subordinate.

When you close your eyes and ask people to picture New England, they think Mountains, covered bridges, fall foliage, colonial history, quaint cities or towns with villages or centers, lighthouses, seafood, maple syrup, rocky beaches, hidden lakes, and yes, Boston. But more importantly not just Boston. Much of New England is not Boston centric. Sure, they root for the Boston teams because they're local, sometimes they'll go to concerts, but in reality, most people aren't going to have a life around Boston unless they're in and around Rte.128/I-95, mostly, I-495, and to some extent towns near the Mass border east of Worcester county. There's a broader term for New Englanders than life in Cities, quite a few aren't city people at all, but enjoy nature and outdoor activities, as well.

I count CT (and VT) as part of New England. Whether CT residents agree is up to them.
They all agree - even in the NYC metro.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:25 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,535,423 times
Too many Yankees fans west of the Connecticut River disqualifies most of CT as New England. The rest of the state is welcome to join the surly nihilist New Englander party.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:45 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,966,000 times
Geographically CT is very much part of New England, even towns Fairfield County towns like Greenwich, Westport and Fairfield have RTM type of government. Towns in Fairfield County are in many ways linked to Boston/New England from the town greens with seeple churches to the pre-revolutionary houses.

I'm someone who was born raised in Boston and recently moved down to Fairfield CT.

However, the reality is that the New York City and it's influence has infected Fairfield County ranging from abrasive personalities to NY style driving (worse than Boston; although Boston's pretty bad as well). Can you tell how I feel about New York

It's difficult for me to tell how many New Yorkers have moved to Fairfield, New Haven and Litchfield counties, however their influence is palpable. It's a net negative because NYC may be an economic/influential powerhouse, however the quality of life is absolutely terrible there. The quaintness (serene country villages) and uniqueness (even in aging mill towns there is a certain charm) of NE becomes lost when New Yorkers take over. Unfortunately, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket suffer from the same affliction, although it is seasonal, thankfully.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 PM

652 posts, read 753,197 times
Too many expat New Yorkers/people who spend 80 hrs a week in NYC. Too many yankee/giants fans.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 4,854,832 times
Connecticut, Mass and Rhode Island are three peas in a pod. Some subtle differences among the peas but not enough to get worked up over. New York is more different— the Dutch roots, lack of Puritans and some other things. But not as different as Virginia or Texas to name two. New England is a pretty stong identity and I’d say the people who move over to Connecticut from New York become New Englanders rather than make that part of NE into NY. Boston today is full of people who came from elsewhere, but it’s still Boston isn’t it? Those newcomers take on the Boston way of life.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:16 AM

837 posts, read 1,229,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
"Some" of Fairfield County? Fairfield, New Haven and Litchfield counties are all served by Metro North and are part of the NYC metro... and > half of the state's population resides there..
My husband's job took him to FF County last year. I'd say from New Haven to Stamford may geographically be New England, but it definitely has a huge NYC influence. Given that NYC is closer than Boston in that area, it makes sense.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:58 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,923,324 times
If you dont get NESN on your cable package, not New England.

If you get your local news from a non-New England State, not New England (I am looking at you Berkshire County).

When I get Yankee Magazine I tend to skip the articles from CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts