Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 06:02 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times

Advertisements

I live in SC and have a registered handgun. We do not need to have a gun permit in SC unless for personal carry. I will be traveling this summer including sometime in MA. I keep the gun loaded and in my vehicle when on the road. I also keep it in my hotel room at night. I do not carry the weapon but do transfer it from my car to my hotel room.

What is the law in MA concerning such.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 06:18 PM

12,444 posts, read 9,540,640 times
You do need a gun permit in MA, and the last I heard, there is no broad reciprocity with the gun laws/permissions of other states, so I don't think that would be lawful.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I live in SC and have a registered handgun. We do not need to have a gun permit in SC unless for personal carry. I will be traveling this summer including sometime in MA. I keep the gun loaded and in my vehicle when on the road. I also keep it in my hotel room at night. I do not carry the weapon but do transfer it from my car to my hotel room.

Thanks
Massachusetts does not recognize any other states' permits but you can bring it only if you are partaking in a competition, attending a meeting of collectors, or for hunting. You must be licensed under the laws of your state which meet a certain standard. The gun itself must be unloaded, cased, and stored in an inaccessible area of your vehicle.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...40/Section131G

Further, most hotels will not allow you to bring it. I suggest you leave it at home.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:11 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

Thanks

Apply for a Non-res permit. It's a $100 fee and must be done in person. Otherwise, give this a read and it should give you all the answers you need to know. Keep in mind, in MA, keeping a loaded handgun inside the vehicle requires a conceal carry permit. Otherwise needs to be locked and unloaded in the trunk.

Non Resident License Info | Massachusetts | GOAL

Honestly, you are better off leaving it home unless you apply for a non-res permit in each of the states you plan to travel to. FOPA does allow for the carry of firearms between states, but it specifies that it covers you when traveling through states from one state where you can legally possess/carry, to another state where you can legally possess/carry.

You'll also want to give this a read. Even though you are covered under FOPA, you'd most likely have to argue this as a defense after you get arrested and have the pistol confiscated.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation

Quote:
Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest.
IIRC, you need a license to possess a handgun in NJ, NY, CT, RI and MA from each of those individual states. FOPA would cover you traveling through them, but if you stop and sight-see for a weekend in CT, the terms of FOPA don't really apply and you'd need an actual CT carry permit at that point. Arrests do happen.

https://nypost.com/2015/08/03/texas-...-911-memorial/

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-21-2018 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-21-2018, 08:46 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
IIRC, you need a license to possess a handgun in NJ, NY, CT, RI and MA from each of those individual states.
And NY is even more difficult than we are. NYC especially, which if your heading up 95, you're passing through NYC (of course you can go further north and cross Tappan Zee or Bear Mountain Bridges and end up in West central CT).

Unless your coming here for a competition, leave it at home. Way more trouble than it's worth.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Just leave it at home. The odds of you ever needing a gun a lifetime is miniscule, never mind for a week or two.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 AM

23,574 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Apply for a Non-res permit. It's a $100 fee and must be done in person. Otherwise, give this a read and it should give you all the answers you need to know. Keep in mind, in MA, keeping a loaded handgun inside the vehicle requires a conceal carry permit. Otherwise needs to be locked and unloaded in the trunk.

Non Resident License Info | Massachusetts | GOAL
If you do decide to go that route, I would get on it ASAP if you plan on bringing it in the summer. There is an enormous backlog there.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Nothing good can happen when bringing a gun from out of state to Mass. Leave it at home. Plus you need to travel through hostile territory through NY, NJ, and CT. Law enforcement often oversteps their bounds in these states, then it is up to you to spend legal fees to defend, even if you are in the right.

You can legally transport THROUGH states by FOPA, but having one in Mass as your destination is questionable at best. Check here.

Handgunlaw.us

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation

Old 03-22-2018, 10:46 AM

44 posts, read 35,701 times
I agree with others that you'll be better off to leave your handgun at home. You wouldn't be covered under FOPA in the states you're traveling through because you are not legally allowed to have it at your destination (MA).

As an aside, what did you mean by "a registered handgun"? I have been looking into relocating to SC, and was not aware that registration was required there. If it is, I would need to seriously rethink my plans...

Old 03-22-2018, 03:10 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiced View Post
I agree with others that you'll be better off to leave your handgun at home. You wouldn't be covered under FOPA in the states you're traveling through because you are not legally allowed to have it at your destination (MA).

As an aside, what did you mean by "a registered handgun"? I have been looking into relocating to SC, and was not aware that registration was required there. If it is, I would need to seriously rethink my plans...
Registration not mandatory in SC. More a courtesy in case of theft. In SC one can carry if they take a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) course.

Columbia SC - Schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts