Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:41 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how long you must keep another person's belongings if they are out of contact and have made no mention of being in touch or coming for the belongings?

In my case, it's a driveshaft and carseats for a 1972 Dodge Challenger in my basement since 2001, no contact or returned calls from the owner since 2010. I was moving and had the house cleaned out, including the car parts. Suddenly the owner surfaces and says I should give him my $5k wood stove because the parts were valuable. I think he's a bit unstable and is an angry jerk who used to be a good friend and neighbor.

Thanks for any advice you might muster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 10:10 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Here's a page describing what needs to get done if a tenant leaves property behind at a rental unit. I'm not an attorney by a long shot, but I would imagine the requirements are similar if someone leaves their personal property at your house.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...achusetts.html

Old 04-29-2018, 06:08 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
$5k is a stretch in value for those parts. An original driveshaft might be $150 and the seats will vary on their condition. If they were trashed, they might be worth a few hundred in parts.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
So he left trash in your basement for a decade+, did not remove it when you repeatedly requested he do so, and you disposed of it. Worst case, the guy takes you to small claims court and loses.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So he left trash in your basement for a decade+, did not remove it when you repeatedly requested he do so, and you disposed of it. Worst case, the guy takes you to small claims court and loses.
I think that's what he has in mind, although he says the parts were worth at least $5k. I am more concerned that he is a little loosely wrapped, angry, and might do some vandalism or even arson. It's too bad- we were friends and neighbors for years and he used to be a nice guy and a good builder. Something went awry around 2010 and he is now none of the above.

Thanks to all for your answers.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:39 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
If he is demanding $5000 then I think you should be able to demand $5001 for 17 years of storage plus a disposal fee for the unclaimed goods.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:00 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
This is abandonment of property on his part. He obviously heard you had moved and figured he could get money from you.
Ignore him.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:35 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
This is abandonment of property on his part. He obviously heard you had moved and figured he could get money from you.
Ignore him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am more concerned that he is a little loosely wrapped, angry, and might do some vandalism or even arson.

This may not be so easy to ignore.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:57 PM

I certainly can't pay him off if he's that crazy. He's so passive aggressive that I doubt he'd do anything that dumb. He does think I should give him my $5k soapstone wood stove, and I told him he could get one the same way I did- go down to the fireplace store and buy one for $5k. The stove weighs 500 pounds. I doubt he'll steal it.

I did have to pay to have the stuff removed (along with my own trash) and there was a disposal fee for all the trash.

I am going to forget the whole thing and accept that my realtor has dealt with him and not worry. She's having the locks changed tomorrow, since he always had a key as a neighbor and formerly good friend. Anyway, locks should be changed with new ownership. Over the 17 years I had the house, I certainly gave keys to visitors or a temporary housemate, etc.

Thank you all for your answers.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:53 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I certainly can't pay him off if he's that crazy. He's so passive aggressive that I doubt he'd do anything that dumb. He does think I should give him my $5k soapstone wood stove, and I told him he could get one the same way I did- go down to the fireplace store and buy one for $5k. The stove weighs 500 pounds. I doubt he'll steal it.

I did have to pay to have the stuff removed (along with my own trash) and there was a disposal fee for all the trash.

I am going to forget the whole thing and accept that my realtor has dealt with him and not worry. She's having the locks changed tomorrow, since he always had a key as a neighbor and formerly good friend. Anyway, locks should be changed with new ownership. Over the 17 years I had the house, I certainly gave keys to visitors or a temporary housemate, etc.

Thank you all for your answers.
Don't worry about it and just enjoy your new life in Colorado. I assume the house is still insured and if he tries anything it would be covered anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: