Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus1220 View Post
So I've been browsing Zillow & Redfin for homes in the Boston metro area and it seems to me at least from the Zillow/Redfin listings that the housing stock in greater Boston/Mass is really old and possibly sub-par. I mean I guess it makes sense given the fact that it's one of the oldest inhabited parts of the country, but a lot of other metros are quite old as well such as New York and Philadelphia and SF/Bay Area and they don't seem to have this problem - there are far more new homes listed there and the older ones seem to be renovated at a higher rate. Most of the houses I see listed in Boston/Mass are of the old colonial type and a lot of them seem a bit run down to be honest. (I get that some of them are pretty on the exterior, but they're honestly not my type - too morose, small windows, small rooms, low ceilings, etc.

Does anyone know why this is? I'm almost positive that California has more draconian anti-growth laws and regulations, so that's ruled out, unless there's some law I'm not aware of.
Land value. NYC and especially Philadelphia can sprawl out in a 360 degree radius and growth of their metro areas can extend out quite far. Boston is hemmed in to the east by the ocean. And with the shape of the harbor, places that aren't necessarily so far out as the sparrow flies are not so easy to travel from via car or train.

Add that to the explosive job growth in high paying industries, and all the land that is considered commutable to Boston and Cambridge becomes more valuable. When the land is more valuable, it matters less what the house on top of that land looks like. The land alone becomes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars or more.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:51 AM

875 posts, read 663,478 times
Lots of beautiful housing here .... with ugly prices.

When we hire out of state candidates we tell them to temper their enthusiasm for the job offer against the cost of housing.

The greater Boston/Cambridge/Eastern MA area is attracting some of the best and brightest and consequently highest paid in not just one industry but several ....... Biotech/Pharma, Finance/PE/VC, Tech etc. Its all about high competition and low inventory rather than curb appeal.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:01 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus1220 View Post
The housing situation in metros with lots of culture and amenities is really bad - and I suspect this is largely because of regulations as opposed to the fact that they're desirable. Based on net migration statistics, Sunbelt cities are far more desirable at this point than northern metros and their housing supplies are near perfectly elastic over time.

Sucks to be honest. I would move to the Bay Area, NYC or Boston after graduating, but I honestly can't see myself establishing a comfortable living situation in any of those places despite the fact that I will likely have an above average income. Oh well. Atlanta, NC and TX aren't all that bad.
Some truth here---I would only advise those with high income potential to move here. There are some exceptions, though, especially if you don't mind a long commute to your job in Boston. I anticipate that Providence and Worcester, and Framingham will become more popular as time goes on, as the housing prices are much cheaper in those cities..

Old 05-04-2018, 09:12 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Some truth here---I would only advise those with high income potential to move here. There are some exceptions, though, especially if you don't mind a long commute to your job in Boston. I anticipate that Providence and Worcester, and Framingham will become more popular as time goes on, as the housing prices are much cheaper in those cities..
Have you seen the home prices in towns like Shrewsbury and Natick? I'd argue the latter has already happened. The cities themselves may still be relatively affordable, but the better 'burbs of these second tier cities are already far above national averages.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:24 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Originally Posted by CaseyB V
New England homes traditionally have lower ceilings to keep the heat in.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I toured a beat up house in Worcester a couple years ago. It was about 120 years old.

First floor had wonderful 10'-12' ceilings. Giant windows. Queen Anne style house.
Second floor had 5'-11" ceilings. I'm 6' tall...
Goes to show that New England has something for everyone. In our very earliest houses, you can barely stand up! Many of the various Victorian era styles are so vast and high ceilinged that few can afford to heat them; a lot have been converted into offices. I think the 20th century styles are the most practical--the
generic Colonials, Capes, ranches, even the raised ranches. If you want brand new, you'll pay a LOT and are probably looking at a tear down. (And if you move into an established neighborhood and tear down one of the houses, there's a pretty good chance that will not go over very well with your new neighbors!)

A house that's got some age to it is usually better built and has more character--and people who are moving here had better just learn to appreciate it

Old 05-04-2018, 09:53 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Arlington too, 30 years ago it was pretty blue collar but now it has gone through the roof.
I grew up in Arlington. It's insanity now.

And people buy one floor of a 2 family now???? With a shared driveway???? Wtf.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:54 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Yes, the Victorian era homes had high ceilings, with a fireplace in almost every room.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
My place has high ceilings but hey, I'm worth it.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:17 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,549 times
Also IMO it has to do with the culture. The Yankee towns (i.e. ones with Congregational and Episcopal churches) have some of the wealthiest and most Frugal people you will ever find. The culture is much different than NY and Philly which is more showy.

These are people that drive 20 year old Volvos and try and hold out until after thanksgiving to turn the heat on. Yet would Never, ever put vinyl siding on their house even through it costs $8k to paint every few years because its low class and ugly.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Also IMO it has to do with the culture. The Yankee towns (i.e. ones with Congregational and Episcopal churches) have some of the wealthiest and most Frugal people you will ever find. The culture is much different than NY and Philly which is more showy.

These are people that drive 20 year old Volvos and try and hold out until after thanksgiving to turn the heat on. Yet would Never, ever put vinyl siding on their house even through it costs $8k to paint every few years because its low class and ugly.

Man, vinyl siding is such a scourge. My parents did it too. I get it, but its nasty stuff. Really bleak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts