Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:22 PM

69 posts, read 165,995 times

Advertisements

Hey All-

We're looking to buy a home in MA and need to get an idea of the various types of heating sources and associated costs (Natural gas, propane, oil, electric, other?). We had oil heat when we left in 2002 and we don't want that again, although I'd like to see what monthly averages are. Also, does anyone have experience with heat pumps? Pros & cons? What about costs of converting an oil furnace to electric or gas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 12:51 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Hey All-
We're looking to buy a home in MA and need to get an idea of the various types of heating sources and associated costs (Natural gas, propane, oil, electric, other?). We had oil heat when we left in 2002 and we don't want that again, although I'd like to see what monthly averages are. Also, does anyone have experience with heat pumps? Pros & cons? What about costs of converting an oil furnace to electric or gas?
Thanks!
I have a heat pump and IMHO it is the only way to go.

- never have to worry about carbon monoxide as nothing is combustable.
- has emergency heat, so if something fails you can just use the heat strips.
- pump is both your ac and heat.
- Not expensive never really had a bad month.
- won't blow your house up when incompetents at the utility go out for donut and the pressure increases.
- no waiting on oil deliveries.
- I find it to be quiet.

Cons
- when it gets cold like under zero - depending on the unit you have, it can struggle to keep the house warm.
- is designed to be on all the time so is on a lot and can bother you / cause dryness in the house from the constant air flow.

My second choice would be baseboard but I am bothered by the potential injury to pets and no possibility of central air.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:29 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
If for some reason you already have a fear of natural gas, then a heat pump is a reasonable option. If you aren't afraid of gas it is generally cheaper and more efficient. Here's a calculator. This is the company that provides my gas and electric, so I don't think they have a dog in this fight:

https://c03.apogee.net/mvc/home/hes/...source&spc=hcc

Natural gas conversion is easy and typically subsidized by the gas provider. Running the gas line to your house is not cheap or subsidized. It's so expensive that you'll either have a gas line or you'll have to stay with oil/convert to heat pump.

The fear of natural gas as opposed to other heating sources is not backed by statistics. By far the most dangerous way to heat is with electric space heaters, which is what you'll be using if a heat pump system falls behind in really cold weather.
Natural gas seems more dangerous than electric heating in the same way airplanes seem more dangerous that cars.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:18 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Natural gas here with national grid. I heat approx. 2500 sf (600 of that is in the basement) in a drafty 50 yr-old ranch. I use 3 nest thermostats to try and come up with the most efficient schedule I can as will as picking away at fixing the drafty areas. Main living area heat is usually set to 68-70 degrees.

Worst bill ever was approx. $325/month when we had some really cold weeks last year and I had a newborn in the house with a wife on maternity leave. Typically, $250-275/month is what I see in the heart of winter.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
By far the most dangerous way to heat is with electric space heaters, which is what you'll be using if a heat pump system falls behind in really cold weather.
Natural gas seems more dangerous than electric heating in the same way airplanes seem more dangerous that cars.
Tell that to the people in Merrimack Valley.

If my heat pump falls behind in winter you just turn on the emergency heat. Which costs a bit more but will do the job. You don't go to space heaters.

During 2015 when it got down to -20 sometimes my heat pump managed to stay up at 69. Some of the newer models are better at this than the older ones. But, if I had a problem all I would have needed to do is turn on the emergency heat which uses the electrical strips in the air handler to heat the house.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
People afraid of natural gas would fit in well in the shark thread from this summer.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:05 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Tell that to the people in Merrimack Valley.

If my heat pump falls behind in winter you just turn on the emergency heat. Which costs a bit more but will do the job. You don't go to space heaters.

During 2015 when it got down to -20 sometimes my heat pump managed to stay up at 69. Some of the newer models are better at this than the older ones. But, if I had a problem all I would have needed to do is turn on the emergency heat which uses the electrical strips in the air handler to heat the house.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't tell the families of people that die in a plane crash that planes are safer than cars, but it's still true.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't tell the families of people that die in a plane crash that planes are safer than cars, but it's still true.
But the what 100 thousands of people without heat tonight because of the disaster are suffering more than a one day blip. Imagine the stress of months without hot water and heat? No, thank you.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:14 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I think one of the new Mitsubishi Hyperheat or Fujitsu Halcyon XLTH ductless heat pump systems would be pretty darned good in a house that's well insulated anyways. You can also get them set up with a central air handler and air ducts running to each room - I think that costs more to install and loses some efficiency though, but it provides even heat distribution to avoid cold spots, even if the insulation and airtightness of the house aren't great.

Here's an interesting comparison of some systems that's provided by Efficiency Maine. Note that you can alter the unit cost of any fuel to tailor the calculations to your area.
https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-h...st-comparison/

Old 10-21-2018, 06:38 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
I have electric baseboard heating and it's really expensive, even with my small house and I pay even more than normal as I'm signed up for clean electricity. Hoping to get the ductless heat pump next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts