Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 02:11 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times

Advertisements

Felger & Mazz on WBZ 98.5 fm has certainly dominated afternoon radio drive against WEEI 93.7 fm...for years.

Now WEEI has shuffled its afternoon drive as of last month.

Adam Jones AND Christian Arcand moved from evenings at 98.5 to join Mego (Meghan Ortellin (sp?), a young female who I think had aired with Merloni & Faurier? Maybe she replaced Glen Ordway in that threesome when he retired a couple years ago. Can't recall.

I unlike many enjoy Adam Jones and his snark; and I unlike some enjoy Michael Felger.

I used to listen to 98.5 80 percent of the time, but now I may shift to almost 50-50.

But can WEEI quickly, or more likely in the next few years, approach or even surpass the 98.5 The Sports Hub ratings monster... realistically?

Do folks here listen to portions of both, live or on podcast? Or maybe it's too stressful or too much silliness or whatever, and one prefers NPR or local music stations and their afternoon drive, or WBZ news or maybe Howie Carr?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 02:55 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
I stopped listening to sports radio years ago with the advent of podcasts. When I did, I listened to Holley and Arnold in the early PM and switch to Felger and Maz on the drive home. Other than that, it was NPR all day. Today it's a number of podcasts including Boston Public Radio.

Do people still listen to Howie Carr?

Old 02-08-2023, 03:47 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I stopped listening to sports radio years ago with the advent of podcasts. When I did, I listened to Holley and Arnold in the early PM and switch to Felger and Maz on the drive home. Other than that, it was NPR all day. Today it's a number of podcasts including Boston Public Radio.

Do people still listen to Howie Carr?
I think so, but must be ages 55 plus. He's replayed overnight on Talk1200 AM.

And he still has his Boston Herald column.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I stopped listening to sports radio years ago with the advent of podcasts.
Same. Every now and then I will pop it on during a big story and am immediately reminded why I am happier not listening to local sports radio. I do like Zolak though.

Old 02-08-2023, 04:10 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
For Patriots coverage, I like the more straightforward presentation of story/data, not so much the people cracking disparaging jokes and just throwing crap at the wall... I like Phil Perry, who I think is affiliated with NBC-Boston, but also has a lot of material posted on YouTube. He also appears with Tom Curran, but I think Curran is also more of a personality than a conveyor of information - to me he's okay, but not great.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:37 PM

604 posts, read 561,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
But can WEEI quickly, or more likely in the next few years, approach or even surpass the 98.5 The Sports Hub ratings monster... realistically?
Nope

Old 02-08-2023, 07:58 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
I think so, but must be ages 55 plus. He's replayed overnight on Talk1200 AM.

And he still has his Boston Herald column.
My understanding is that he is no longer paid for his column and gets ad revenue instead.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:54 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Felger & Mazz on WBZ 98.5 fm has certainly dominated afternoon radio drive against WEEI 93.7 fm...for years.

Now WEEI has shuffled its afternoon drive as of last month.

Adam Jones AND Christian Arcand moved from evenings at 98.5 to join Mego (Meghan Ortellin (sp?), a young female who I think had aired with Merloni & Faurier? Maybe she replaced Glen Ordway in that threesome when he retired a couple years ago. Can't recall.

I unlike many enjoy Adam Jones and his snark; and I unlike some enjoy Michael Felger.

I used to listen to 98.5 80 percent of the time, but now I may shift to almost 50-50.

Do folks here listen to portions of both, live or on podcast? Or maybe it's too stressful or too much silliness or whatever, and one prefers NPR or local music stations and their afternoon drive, or WBZ news or maybe Howie Carr?
I mostly listen to Sirius XM in the car, but occasionally tune into 98.5 Toucher and Rich in the morning (I've enjoyed them since the WBCN days). I like Bertrand and Zolak / Felger and Mazz in small doses. Apart from listening to a Sox game, I can't remember the last time I tuned into WEEI. Nothing about the recent changes there is going to entice me to change that. I'm in my late 30s, so not "young" anymore, but I've long felt that WEEI was intended for an older audience than me. I think the recent changes are an effort to change that image, but not enough that I'd change my listening habits.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:22 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
I haven't listened to the radio in like two decades.

Old 11-10-2023, 01:19 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
1/2 of Toucher and Rich is out. Admittedly, I haven't tuned in as much the past several months, but it sounds like things have been messy. Fred had been out a bit for various health related reasons, and Rich had recently accused him of creating a toxic work environment. So clearly things weren't great. But it'll be interesting to see what happens next. WEEI has to be thrilled, Toucher and Rich killed them in the mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts