Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 03:17 PM

59 posts, read 53,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Did your husband get any kind of relo package? Do they offer any sort of temp housing? What's the real estate market like in your current area -- do you have any sense of how long it might take to sell your house? You will have a MUCH easier time buying a house here if you've already sold your previous house -- sellers in these parts don't like offers with home sale contingencies.
Yes, he does get relocation and they offer 60 day short term housing. So in the end it probably wouldn't make sense to use the relo package to move to an apartment just to have to move again when our house sells. Market in Carmel is usually pretty good, except our house is a step up in price from what sells like hotcakes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 03:19 PM

Westford is at the top of my list right now... how does it compare to Chelmsford, which is a slightly shorter commute and seems to also have less expensive housing? I'll have to look more closely at Andover too, though I think the commute is longer from there.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:37 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalia2150 View Post
Westford is at the top of my list right now... how does it compare to Chelmsford, which is a slightly shorter commute and seems to also have less expensive housing? I'll have to look more closely at Andover too, though I think the commute is longer from there.
Chelmsford has a good bit more working class blood. Westford is very white collar. Westford has a sizeable of-of-state/international population. The town is 22% Asian according to the latest census.. I’m sure the school district plays a large part in the migration patterns. Westford, though nothing like the towns to the south, has a larger “luxury” market, though you wouldn’t be able to tell based on the homes for sales right now. You won’t see many SFH, that aren’t on main roads or in the cottage/lake area, for <$600k in Westford. Feel like Chelmsford offers a lot more flexibility in that $400-$600k range. I would say too that Westford feels/aligns more with the metrowest/north metrowest. Chelmsford feels, largely, more like the towns that fall east of it/the Merrimack valley. That is to say, Westford has more country roads, old homes on large lots, quaint town center. Chelmsford has a lot of that too, but predominantly on Westford Rd/the Westford side of town. Chelmsford boomed in the 60s and 70s, whereas Westford boomed in the 90s/00s. You can see the difference within the neighborhoods and a lot of the housing stock visible even on the main roads.

Chelmsford is a good town, as is Westford. You won’t be uncomfortable in either, though my bias tells me Westford or Andover will be a better fit for your family than Chelmsford.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:21 AM

How would the commute from Andover compare to Westford? Looks a little longer, but I don't know what the specific roads/traffic are like.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
How would the commute from Andover compare to Westford? Looks a little longer, but I don't know what the specific roads/traffic are like.
It totally depends on where you live within each community. But, in Andover, you’d probably want to look at neighborhoods immediately surrounding downtown, especially east and north of downtown. In Westford, you’d probabaly want to look around the town center, east of the town center, or south Westford. Using that rule of thumb above, Westford would save you five miles. But, that shouldn’t be a deterrent of any kind. Both will offer easy backroads.

We deliberated between Westford and Andover. I’m very, very familiar with both. I can certainly recommend streets/neighborhoods in both to check out, as can some other posters here!

Old 12-22-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It totally depends on where you live within each community. But, in Andover, you’d probably want to look at neighborhoods immediately surrounding downtown, especially east and north of downtown. In Westford, you’d probabaly want to look around the town center, east of the town center, or south Westford. Using that rule of thumb above, Westford would save you five miles. But, that shouldn’t be a deterrent of any kind. Both will offer easy backroads.

We deliberated between Westford and Andover. I’m very, very familiar with both. I can certainly recommend streets/neighborhoods in both to check out, as can some other posters here!
That would be great if you don't mind!! Thanks!

Old 12-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
That would be great if you don't mind!! Thanks!
Sent you a DM with a lot of info!

Old 12-24-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Sent you a DM with a lot of info!
So helpful, thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts