Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 12:17 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Same here. I wasn't expecting it. Maybe after a bad year next year, but not now. I wonder if they're just noticing that the farm system was gutted over the past few seasons?
It's just kinda crazy, the Sox are going to finish with a +.500 record, and the guy's getting canned. Less than a year after a 108-win season and world series championship. That was with a first year manager too. His team has made the playoffs three years in a row. I don't know, do random firings like this have any deterrence effect on other people who might be looking for the job?

Honestly this year has been more about pitchers who should be better not being better. I think Cora has a lot of blame here too. Offense is still downright scary. But a lot of contracts expiring soon and people are gonna want to get paid. The farm is kinda gutted too, but we will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 12:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Honestly this year has been more about pitchers who should be better not being better...The farm is kinda gutted too, but we will see.
This is his MO: not afraid to make big moves and signings, bad at building bullpens and leaves gutted farm systems in his wake. Maybe ownership decided it was time to head in another direction with the bill coming due. As you pointed out, he won a World Series last year and that trumps the rest of it. The team is still plenty talented but there are some tricky negotiations approaching... Maybe Theo is ready to come home.

Last edited by porterhouse; 09-09-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 01:59 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
It's just kinda crazy, the Sox are going to finish with a +.500 record, and the guy's getting canned. Less than a year after a 108-win season and world series championship. That was with a first year manager too. His team has made the playoffs three years in a row. I don't know, do random firings like this have any deterrence effect on other people who might be looking for the job?

Honestly this year has been more about pitchers who should be better not being better. I think Cora has a lot of blame here too. Offense is still downright scary. But a lot of contracts expiring soon and people are gonna want to get paid. The farm is kinda gutted too, but we will see.
Yeah, it's not as if this year's team didn't have the talent.* There was a lot of underperforming this year, and they're still not an awful team. I guess it's not bad to root for a team that won't tolerate mediocrity, but this seemed premature.

*The exception, and many of us have harped on it all season (and the offseason prior to this season), being the back end of the bullpen. That rests squarely at Dombrowski's feet. He underestimated the need for a strong, consistent set up guy and closer, and he overestimated the existing talent. The starting pitching and middle relief underperformed anyway (this team should have at least been a surefire Wild Card team even without a strong closer/setup combo), but coming into the season without a strong candidate in that role hurt them dearly and you can blame Dombrowski for that.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:22 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
It's just kinda crazy, the Sox are going to finish with a +.500 record, and the guy's getting canned. Less than a year after a 108-win season and world series championship. That was with a first year manager too. His team has made the playoffs three years in a row.
They didn't just make the playoffs; they won the division 3 years in a row - which is the only time in their history they've done that. And let's not forget that we had just finished in last place 2 years in a row prior to his arrival.

Quote:
Honestly this year has been more about pitchers who should be better not being better.
Yep, and it all goes back to Spring Training when the starting pitchers barely got any innings in. Why???

Quote:
I think Cora has a lot of blame here too.
I agree. In fact, I feel Cora is largely responsible here. Again, Spring Training.

Quote:
The farm is kinda gutted too, but we will see.
Is it? Dombrowski has a reputation for killing the farm, but I don't follow the farm enough to know if he did that here.

The word going around is that he got fired for not doing anything at the trade deadline. As far as I'm concerned, that's Monday morning quarterbacking. I feel he made the right decision. The offers were horrible; we would have had to give up far more talent than we would have received in return. And nobody had any idea we'd go on an 8 game losing street immediately after.

Frankly, I felt he did a spectacular job in Boston...though I'm not completely comfortable saying that because, again, I really don't know what he did or didn't do with the farm.

Having said all that, I never really liked the guy. You may think this is a strange reason, but I don't care for how he drinks his water. He sips from his bottle of Poland Spring like he's drinking wine at a fancy country club. His son does the same thing. IMO, they just look like a couple of stuck up d-bags. Just not down to earth.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:10 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Somebody has to pay for the dismal season. I expect this bought Cora another year but on a short leash.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Must watch.

https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1171202537573273600

Old 09-10-2019, 12:11 PM

The inside story of how Dave Dombrowski’s firing took place

Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 PM

10 games out of the 2nd wildcard. 18 games remaining. It's done.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
It was done awhile ago

Old 09-12-2019, 08:39 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
It was done awhile ago
It was.

There was a thread a while ago that questioned why the Red Sox were not as popular as the Patriots even though both teams have been the most successful in their respective sport over the past 20 years. This season embodies the answer. The Patriots haven't won every Super Bowl since 2001, but they've been contenders in most seasons and they've been consistently good. The Sox have been far less consistent. Especially in recent years. They'll win the World Series and then turn in a clunker of a season (or a few seasons). I realize that being in the hunt for the Wild Card in September is hardly awful, but it's disappointing for defending World Series Champions and the highest paid team in the Majors. The last two decades have been excellent for the Sox. But they've been otherworldly for the Patriots and that's why there's a solid gap between the two in terms of popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts