Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 23,413 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am going to start working at Baystate Medical Center from June, 2008. I need help and advise to find an apartment close to Baystate but also a safe place to stay in. I read a few threads in the forum and got mixed reviews about the towns in and around springfield. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me with some valuable advise in this regard....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 06:38 AM

605 posts, read 2,382,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsrirams View Post
Hello everyone,

I am going to start working at Baystate Medical Center from June, 2008. I need help and advise to find an apartment close to Baystate but also a safe place to stay in. I read a few threads in the forum and got mixed reviews about the towns in and around springfield. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could help me with some valuable advise in this regard....
How close do you need to be and what's your budget?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:16 AM

Well, I would have to be in the hospital by around 5 am almost everyday. So I would prefer a short commute, upto 15-20 min max from the hospital. My budget would be.... upto $1000 for a single bedroom...

Old 04-12-2008, 10:52 AM

35 posts, read 139,013 times
Downtown Springfield and the area around the hospital are not great. The city seems to get better the farther east you go.

The two "nicest" and most convenient suburbs, Longmeadow and Wilbraham, didn't seem to have much in the way of apartments or rentals. You could try West Springfield or Agawam (right across the river) or if you wanted a somewhat longer drive but really nice town, Northampton (although it's kind of pricey).

You could also consider renting (or maybe even buying) a small house in the 16 Acres or Indian Orchard areas of Springfield -- still in Springfield but much nicer parts of town and about 15-20 min from the hospital.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSoxFan? View Post
Downtown Springfield and the area around the hospital are not great. The city seems to get better the farther east you go.

The two "nicest" and most convenient suburbs, Longmeadow and Wilbraham, didn't seem to have much in the way of apartments or rentals. You could try West Springfield or Agawam (right across the river) or if you wanted a somewhat longer drive but really nice town, Northampton (although it's kind of pricey).

You could also consider renting (or maybe even buying) a small house in the 16 Acres or Indian Orchard areas of Springfield -- still in Springfield but much nicer parts of town and about 15-20 min from the hospital.
I agree with all of that, and would throw in Enfield, CT as most of it is very safe, there are more rental opportunities and it's still only 10 mins from Baystate at that time of the morning once you're on the highway.

I commute in the opposite direction and am in work in less than 15 minutes.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM

hows chicopee??

Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsrirams View Post
hows chicopee??
Complete dump.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 14,974 times
anyone know anything about carew st? thinking about renting there

Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,784,554 times
No.... not Carew street!!! Not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubert View Post
anyone know anything about carew st? thinking about renting there

Old 08-02-2008, 05:31 PM

96 posts, read 454,582 times
Actually there's a great neighborhood up the hill from the hospital called Atwater Park.

Carew Street is a pretty dense street, much of it west of Newbury Street is made of triple deckers. Not the most beautiful part of town.

You may want to go a little further east to East Springfield, plenty of nice rentals there, or if you can find a rental in Atwater that would be your best bet.

City of Homes | Choose Springfield, Massachusetts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts