Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:10 AM

12 posts, read 13,014 times

Advertisements

After looking into various places around Boston, we really liked N Reading. It had the right mixture of commute, affordability, school system and some fairly new townhouses (<20 year old :P).

We are an Indian couple in our early 30s and I have not seen any Indian presence in that area. I am just wondering if we would end up becoming isolated. I know there are a lot of variables in this, however it would be helpful if someone can help us know if Indian families were able to fit in that area.

Also what is the catch with North Reading. Why is it still affordable?

My definition of affordability is fairly new 2B2B townhouse under 600K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 07:18 AM

604 posts, read 561,106 times
I'd say North Reading just isn't a terribly exciting place in terms of local business and culture. (The only reason I've ever gone there was to go to the Wal-Mart, one of the few in the area) There are some more desirable towns nearby such as Andover, Lynnfield and Burlington (big south asian community here). But it's a solidly safe middle class suburb place. Easy to commute to the 128 belt job centers, commuter rail available to get to Boston but not the quickest commute.

"Fairly New" under 600k is going to be a challenge a lot of places in metro boston.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:33 AM

15,951 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoping-boston-1 View Post
After looking into various places around Boston, we really liked N Reading. It had the right mixture of commute, affordability, school system and some fairly new townhouses (<20 year old :P).

We are an Indian couple in our early 30s and I have not seen any Indian presence in that area. I am just wondering if we would end up becoming isolated. I know there are a lot of variables in this, however it would be helpful if someone can help us know if Indian families were able to fit in that area.

Also what is the catch with North Reading. Why is it still affordable?

My definition of affordability is fairly new 2B2B townhouse under 600K.

One word - Schools.

May I ask : if you like the town and are ok with schools, what does it matter there are no other Indian families. Lots of Indians up north in Andover, North Andover, Westford, Acton. Also Cambridge, Newton.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
I'd say North Reading just isn't a terribly exciting place in terms of local business and culture. (The only reason I've ever gone there was to go to the Wal-Mart, one of the few in the area) There are some more desirable towns nearby such as Andover, Lynnfield and Burlington (big south asian community here). But it's a solidly safe middle class suburb place. Easy to commute to the 128 belt job centers, commuter rail available to get to Boston but not the quickest commute.
at this point in our lives, we are not looking for a "terribly exciting" place.
In fact I love a quite community, however I am not sure why South-Asian community stayed away from here. So I am just
curious what I might be missing.

Quote:
"Fairly New" under 600k is going to be a challenge a lot of places in metro boston.
Yes, I understand. This is the reason I was surprised to see that N Reading seemed affordable.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
One word - Schools.
Shouldn't that make it a little more expensive?

I felt like this was affordable, fairly closer to Boston and good schools. It is almost as good as Natick. In fact I find it better than Natick. But I am surprised people preferred Natick and it is hence considerably more expensive than N Reading which is something I did not understand.

This is the reason I was asking if there is something I am missing in N Reading except for it being a "not terribly exciting" place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
May I ask : if you like the town and are ok with schools, what does it matter there are no other Indian families. Lots of Indians up north in Andover, North Andover, Westford, Acton. Also Cambridge, Newton.
That is correct. In fact I don't mind it.
I just fear that if I do have kids in the future, they may end up having a culture shock. I might be exaggerating here.
But really I have no experience with this. And I am somehow not willing to test this theory with kids.
If you look at it from my side, I just fear if kids would end up becoming isolated in school/pre-school.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM

550 posts, read 680,070 times
North Reading is a nice town with good schools. I'm not sure what the percentage of Indians in town are but In Andover & North Andover there is a decent size Indian population. Indian restaurants in both towns and the Temple is right in Andover

Old 08-08-2019, 11:28 AM

604 posts, read 561,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoping-boston-1 View Post
Shouldn't that make it a little more expensive?

I felt like this was affordable, fairly closer to Boston and good schools. It is almost as good as Natick. In fact I find it better than Natick. But I am surprised people preferred Natick and it is hence considerably more expensive than N Reading which is something I did not understand.

This is the reason I was asking if there is something I am missing in N Reading except for it being a "not terribly exciting" place.

That is correct. In fact I don't mind it.
I just fear that if I do have kids in the future, they may end up having a culture shock. I might be exaggerating here.
But really I have no experience with this. And I am somehow not willing to test this theory with kids.
If you look at it from my side, I just fear if kids would end up becoming isolated in school/pre-school.
First, he is suggesting the schools are not in the elite category of nearby Andover, Lynnfield etc. But don’t get it wrong. They are fine schools. No gangs or anything like that.

As for your kids and culture shock, They have no culture yet to shock because they don’t exist. If you have children and raise them here, their experience will be American, growing up with Americans in America. Even if you move to a town with a strong Indian population. They will be a part of the great melting pot of our culture and they will be stronger for it.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:43 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
I live in Lynnfield. I would say North Reading is priced a bit lower because of a couple of factors...

1) Property taxes - tax rate is higher than some other comparable towns

2) Accessibility - except for some limited commercial activity on Routes 28 or 62, you have to drive thru other towns to get to the highway or public transportation for the bulk of your commerce, jobs, etc.

If you think North Reading is undervalued, then jump in now, because surely it won't stay that way.

Lynnfield does not have much of an Asian or Indian population either, and yet one of my sons' best friends is the only Indian male in their high school graduating class. That young man and his younger brother never had an issue with assimilation.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:55 PM

15,951 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
First, he is suggesting the schools are not in the elite category of nearby Andover, Lynnfield etc. But don’t get it wrong. They are fine schools. No gangs or anything like that.

As for your kids and culture shock, They have no culture yet to shock because they don’t exist. If you have children and raise them here, their experience will be American, growing up with Americans in America. Even if you move to a town with a strong Indian population. They will be a part of the great melting pot of our culture and they will be stronger for it.
Andover schools are not all that elite. Just good. I don’t know how NR compares. Indians who move to Andover do so for it’s easy access to 495 and 93

No matter where you live your kids will have to live within a largely white community. I thought it was YOU Who was concerned about Lack of Indian community. Indians look for good schools but they also don’t worry if they can afford private schools.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
North Reading is a nice town with good schools. I'm not sure what the percentage of Indians in town are but In Andover & North Andover there is a decent size Indian population. Indian restaurants in both towns and the Temple is right in Andover
Got it. It is still surprising why this town was left alone considering the fact that this meets all the factors.
Quiet, suburban, good schools, mildly affordable and decent commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts