Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Gee, I'm sorry if that bothers you so much, I cringe whenever I hear it.
That's a lot of cringing. Ever think about moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM

32 posts, read 114,070 times
Just want to say thanks for the constructive responses. I will say there is one caveat:
I work at the big "tech" (you know the one) and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences there. It has been the bright light in a very rough move.

And I will add that being that my husband is a US Marine, we have traveled all over so my accent is well, muddled. My mother majored in English and trust me when I say that I understand how to speak without sounding like a south Georgia Denny's waitress who has never crossed the county line.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
So cringe. Who cares?
I guess you've learned to fit in well here, considering it hasn't been that long. Congratulations! You sound like a native.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
That's a lot of cringing. Ever think about moving?

Holden, you may have misunderstood. I was born and raised here, my family has been here since 1630. Not everyone in the Boston area has that accent. Only certain areas. Not trying to pick a fight, it is just such a harsh accent on the ears.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
I've lived here 25 years. Grew up in Texas. Am therefore intimately familiar with the specifically Southern, and often Southern female iron-fist-in-a-velvet-glove approach, as we see in the original post of "packedandready." Oh-so-sweet, and oh-so-cutting.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
It's music to my ears.

It strikes me as potentially a question of style or tone. Given the "quiet reserve" it might help to curb outward enthusiasm. I, and people I know, often tell people to have a great day but in such a low-key way that it doesn't register as strange. I've seen other people (with Southern accents) do the same thing in a manner which is natural to them, but strikes New Englanders as out of the ordinary and, given experience, fake, even though I don't doubt you mean it sincerely.

This can be a tough place to "break in" (particularly if you can't easily "pass" as local) and people can be gruff, but when you're in you're in. While I try to be courteous to everyone, and never affirmatively rude, I think many people here view "the human element" not as unimportant, but as something primarily applicable to one's immediate circle. With some people, like in a store, the contact will be so brief there's not much you can do to get past the gruffness or even rudeness. The question is whether you can shrug that off and think it's worth it here. It's easy for me since I'm used to it and like everything up here so much there's no doubt it's worth it.

People here are busy, live in a fast-paced culture, and the winter has a bad effect on morale and mood for many. There are a lot of people crammed into a small area with Byzantine roads and a spotty public transit system. It doesn't always lead to observance of niceties. Some (many) try to be courteous (I do) while others don't do as well in that department. You either take the bad with the good or move on. It's unfortunately unlikely that the negative aspects of the place will change, only your reaction can.

I have been made to wait for an hour in a restaurant in the south, and had other less than pleasant experiences, because I didn't have the slightest hint of a southern accent. There is some degree of regional hostility that has not yet been eliminated. I know people in the Boston area who, though it's not particularly fair, have come to cringe at a southern accent because of the perception that that is the region that gave us 8 years of Bush. I do think the 2000 and 2004 elections hardened regional antipathy to some degree, and that may improve as time passes.
Thanks for your insights! I get the impression when New Englanders hear "southerner" they think Dolly Parton, big hair and bright red nails. Of course when I return home it feels like someone hit pause in many of the places, but part of a southerner's reasoning for being nice to anyone and everyone they meet is that we (general we) grew up learning that its selfish and "rude" to burden others with your problems...particularly ones they cannot fix. So, we DO put on a smile even when it hurts...but most of the time it simply changes our own disposition. So maybe instead of looking at us as "fake" (and by the way...I dont scream out "Ya'll have a good day, now, ya hear?") look at us as respecting your boundaries to a degree where we refuse to spread our own misery, should that be the case.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I've lived here 25 years. Grew up in Texas. Am therefore intimately familiar with the specifically Southern, and often Southern female iron-fist-in-a-velvet-glove approach, as we see in the original post of "packedandready." Oh-so-sweet, and oh-so-cutting.

We speak quietly, smile and know when to keep our lip buttoned. Keeps men on their toes...

Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Holden, you may have misunderstood. I was born and raised here, my family has been here since 1630. Not everyone in the Boston area has that accent. Only certain areas. Not trying to pick a fight, it is just such a harsh accent on the ears.
I guess you pass muster. Though we Irish types have, at times in history, wished we could send the 1630 crowd packing!!!

I'm not picking a fight, I was just kidding. I do actually like the accent, though, and like Steinbeck in "Travels with Charley" I generally lament the reduced presence of accents and homogonezation of speech. The Boston accent means a lot to me because it's home and because it's unique. It doesn't grate on me at all.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packedandready View Post

We speak quietly, smile and know when to keep our lip buttoned. Keeps men on their toes...
I prefer the honest approach.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 PM

Well, I forgive you.

My husband is an attorney, and for a trial lawyer, it is important that he speak properly (I know you will understand that, being an attorney yourself) and I can't tell you how long I worked with him to get him to ditch any trace of the accent that he had picked up. Good thing he wasn't a native, or it would have been worse. He's from Long Island, but he won't admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts