Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM

32 posts, read 114,016 times

Advertisements

wow! Thanks for all the responses--good, bad, indifferent. Congrats on the poster who found his accent granted him increased sexual encounters. I was on the ferry to MV last weekend and sat close to a few rugged, handsome men who appeared to be heading over for the weekend and yep--the accent is cute.

I guess I should retract the "music to the ears" comment and insert it with the reality check that there is indeed a distinct accent here...just lay off mine!

As I said before, my husband is a Marine officer and this lifestyle has afforded us friendships with people from many walks of life, and our own lives are forever enriched because of those friendships.

I guess my observations lately have also come from young people. They are most likely getting the best education money can buy--and I think that if I had children I'd be thrilled for them to go to school here--with one caveat: Manners (here and everywhere else, probably) have seemed to take a back seat. And the best of educations can only tak you so far...if you don't know how to treat others and portray an elitist attitude it may be a tough road ahead.

Ignorance is indeed everywhere....not so long ago in California I was told "Well, you dont look like you are from Tennessee!" I guess I have Hollywood to thank for that stereotype?

Anyway, I will remain strong, and take quiet delight in the bizarre looks I get by holding to the golden rule. I'm not perfect....and I did straight up tell the clerk behind Pizzeria Regina in Marlborough that she was really rude.

I did remain quiet at the Black Dog on MV when myself and 4 other friends visiting from Maryland all pulled out 20 dollar bills to pay for our breakfast and got from the waitress
"I hope somebody has lower bills or a credit card cause I'm not going to break all these 20's" Charming!

I really have enjoyed this message board and will continue to seek or give knowledge about the area if I am so qualified. My hair is dark brown and long, my nails real, my lips natural, my clothes fit appropriately and my mother was an English major. I graduated at the top percent of my class in college and I hate nascar. I don't eat meat or pork rhinds.

Just a few (but certainly far from complete) things about me that go against this terrible stereotype of southern women. "Be the change you wish to see" I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 PM

104 posts, read 260,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Marsmary.thank you. It is nice to have someone say something nice about us.
People do love to rip Bostonians apart.

Do they think we're that threatening? What is the deal with that? We're like the people Americans love to hate! If that's how they feel they should kick us out. Then they can be the "friendly 44" and we can be the Republic of New England.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packedandready View Post
wow! Thanks for all the responses--good, bad, indifferent. Congrats on the poster who found his accent granted him increased sexual encounters. I was on the ferry to MV last weekend and sat close to a few rugged, handsome men who appeared to be heading over for the weekend and yep--the accent is cute.

I guess I should retract the "music to the ears" comment and insert it with the reality check that there is indeed a distinct accent here...just lay off mine!

As I said before, my husband is a Marine officer and this lifestyle has afforded us friendships with people from many walks of life, and our own lives are forever enriched because of those friendships.

I guess my observations lately have also come from young people. They are most likely getting the best education money can buy--and I think that if I had children I'd be thrilled for them to go to school here--with one caveat: Manners (here and everywhere else, probably) have seemed to take a back seat. And the best of educations can only tak you so far...if you don't know how to treat others and portray an elitist attitude it may be a tough road ahead.

Ignorance is indeed everywhere....not so long ago in California I was told "Well, you dont look like you are from Tennessee!" I guess I have Hollywood to thank for that stereotype?

Anyway, I will remain strong, and take quiet delight in the bizarre looks I get by holding to the golden rule. I'm not perfect....and I did straight up tell the clerk behind Pizzeria Regina in Marlborough that she was really rude.

I did remain quiet at the Black Dog on MV when myself and 4 other friends visiting from Maryland all pulled out 20 dollar bills to pay for our breakfast and got from the waitress
"I hope somebody has lower bills or a credit card cause I'm not going to break all these 20's" Charming!

I really have enjoyed this message board and will continue to seek or give knowledge about the area if I am so qualified. My hair is dark brown and long, my nails real, my lips natural, my clothes fit appropriately and my mother was an English major. I graduated at the top percent of my class in college and I hate nascar. I don't eat meat or pork rhinds.

Just a few (but certainly far from complete) things about me that go against this terrible stereotype of southern women. "Be the change you wish to see" I suppose.

Hey packed...

As for that waitress in MV. The beauty of New England is you'd be completely in your rights to have told her to "Eat Sxit" and ask for the manager. Feel the power Packed~!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 31,659 times
Smile People in Boston ARE friendly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
People in Boston are no more nor less friendly than people anywhere else. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
I agree! I have been to quite a few places and although I am a native New Englander, through no fault of my own (Dad was career Navy and ex-husband, too), I have been living in the Southeast (principally NE Florida) for 30+ years. I am now trying really hard to move back to my beloved Boston. Everytime I am up there, with my accidental "y'alls" and everything, people chat with me everywhere, from the T to restaurants to shops. I guess maybe my appearance helps me fit in, but I hope it's my friendly smile, because everyone returns a friendly smile and hello to me!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:36 AM

32 posts, read 114,016 times
I just wonder how many people who say that its silly to suggest that New Englanders may be a bit cold in comparison to other places in the US have actually spent more than a week or two in any of those locations? My perspective comes from living literally all over the country.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 PM

Most New Englanders indeed do not spend more than a couple weeks at a time somewhere else. I have friends that have traveled extensively that had they attitude that they knew all about these other people... Nothing gives that intimate knowledge and steeps change into your soul like time. I havent been alot of places, but I am one of the few people I know who went and lived somewhere more than a few miles away for an extensive period of time. I spent 7 years down South and traveled quite a bit in the Southeast for work.

But to TigerBlue.. I think to some degree the South is starting to come north. I currently work in the grocery business and I'm meeting more Southerners here... I see lots of Georgia and North Carolina license plates- granted some are just people visiting home, but we're also seeing more "wings" "biscuits and gravy" and McDonald's even has "Sweet Tea" now... which dont get me wrong. It doesnt compare to a real Southern style fresh brewed sweet tea.

But I think there is some flirtation going oin right now... Boston has a certain, I dunno mystique if you will. Especially with New England sports really raising attention and awareness. People want to visit, some want to like us, but they just cant seem to figure out how.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 AM

119 posts, read 551,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewNewEnglander View Post
Hey packed...

As for that waitress in MV. The beauty of New England is you'd be completely in your rights to have told her to "Eat Sxit" and ask for the manager. Feel the power Packed~!
LOL! I would prefer to exclaim (being the ever so proper Bostonian raised by southern parents), "Why, we have nothing smaller so I guess our meals will have to be free!" Then proceed to get up to walk out... BTW, this happens to be my approach when wait-staff take much too long to bring the check. Gets their attention rather quickly...

Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
I was in Key West last weekend and was surprised to find myself commenting to my wife about our rude waitress at Pepe's on Catherine St. Go figure!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trionetriathlon View Post
LOL! I would prefer to exclaim (being the ever so proper Bostonian raised by southern parents), "Why, we have nothing smaller so I guess our meals will have to be free!" Then proceed to get up to walk out... BTW, this happens to be my approach when wait-staff take much too long to bring the check. Gets their attention rather quickly...

LOL Actually I agree with you! But the beauty of the South is... your meal would be free even for lesser reasons... and deservedly so! I'll go to my grave singing praise for the service skills of the South. I wish we would learn here! But at the same time we have a a class of professional scammers too.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
I'm from Texas, and have lived all over the country, too, and I'm telling you that people in Boston are NOT more rude than people from anywhere else. If I had been your waitress and several people at your table each gave me a $20 bill and expected me to bring change for each one, I might have said something a bit more direct than your waitress did. I'm sorry, but that was very inconsiderate on the part of you and your friends. Pool the money, pay the bill, split the difference among yourselves. Leave the poor waitress out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts