Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

Looking for input from people who live in Norwell and Scituate. We are looking to put in an offer on a home in Norwell but also have a home in Scituate that is in contention as well. We have kids in middle school or almost entering. Both school districts seem to rate well with good after school activities/clubs. Any recent newcomers have insight on moving into either of these towns with older kids? I like the space that Norwell affords and it’s closeness to Hanover resources/shopping but also like the easy access to the beach that Scituate has as well as the harbor. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 07:54 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Honestly, it's been years since I've been in Scituate and I'm far from an expert on Norwell. However, I have a very good friend who moved to Norwell a few years back. He over analyzes ever decision he makes from what kind of cereal to buy to what kind of car to drive. He loves living in Norwell. So, I have to imagine there are a lot of pluses to living there.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:12 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Hanover for shopping? The mall is nearly empty. Norwell is great for jobs but it doesn't really have a town center.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:20 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Hanover for shopping? The mall is nearly empty. Norwell is great for jobs but it doesn't really have a town center.
I was in there about a year ago and the Hanover Mall is so empty it's depressing. I was told that was intentional as they're not renewing leases so that they can redevelop the site.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM

188 posts, read 283,899 times
Within 15 minutes, one can go to Derby street and within 30 minutes to Braintree malls...Plymouth has also a ton of malls too.
Both Norwell and Scituate are nice. Generally, if one wants to be closer to the sea and commuter rail, they would choose Scituate. If they want to be closer to highway, Norwell is a better option.
Norwell has no defined center.
For whatever reason, Norwell is considered as a more high end suburb compared to Scituate (which I guess is relfected on the per capita income stats etc). Realistically, all these towns are pretty similar and homogeneous, which some people do not like, because they lack diversity etc.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:38 AM

779 posts, read 877,739 times
We rented in Scituate for a year and ultimately bought in Norwell about 10 years ago.

While we loved living in Scituate (and we still love Scituate), we decided we liked the privacy of Norwell coupled with the convenience of Norwell in relation to the activities we anticipated with future kids. We also took into account the convenience to day-to-day things like grocery stores, restaurants, Target, etc. We still go to the beach pretty often year-round. Not always in Scituate, though.

For us, the commute was a big factor as well. At the time, my husband and I were both commuting to the city via the commuter rail. Scituate added about 15 minutes to our commute and while 15 minutes each way doesn't sound like much, we knew that once we had kids, it would. (Note: we live pretty close the Hingham line--if we lived further south in Norwell, I don't think it would have saved any commuting time).

I think we would have been very happy in either city, but I'm really happy we chose Norwell. Now that we have kids, the proximity to everything has been a huge factor for us. And we are loving the schools. But I have many friends with kids in Scituate and they love it there, too!

Old 09-19-2019, 06:38 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,308 times
Norwell for proximity to amenities. It's right off Rte. 3 and therefore close to shopping, etc.

Scituate for atmosphere. Not that you can't get anywhere from there but you'll have more of a hike.

It depends which is more important for both you and your family.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,287 times
Thanks to everyone who replied! We ultimately dedcided on a home in Norwell...the commute time although just 15 minutes less than Scituaute, coupled with the right home, at the right price, on the right street all won out.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:49 PM

779 posts, read 877,739 times
Congrats and welcome to Norwell! I hope you love it--we have been very happy here!

Old 09-24-2019, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Yeah Hanover Mall is so depressing. But I guess it's close to Derby Street, South Shore Plaza, even the Kingston Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts