Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 04:43 PM

19 posts, read 46,146 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My family and I (spouse and 2 kids elementary/middle age) are considering leaving Portland Oregon and relocating to Massachusetts. The reason for moving would be for better education and also to be closer to family. We both have lived in the NY/DC area before, so we know what to expect in terms of the east coast generally, but neither of us has spent much time in the Boston area.

I am trying to gather a realistic picture of Boston and the suburbs. It's hard not to get very excited from a distance-- the stellar schools, the big city amenities, the ample job opportunities in our fields, and the walkable towns-- all seems amazing.

However, I am reading a lot on these forums about the cost of living and the low quality of life as a result. Our home budget would likely be in the $750-850 range, but we'd prefer to stay on the lower end of that range. Schools will be most important, and then a strong community (not bedroom community of Boston). For now, we can work remotely, but ultimately my spouse would be commuting into the city.

When we lived in DC, the high cost drove all of our decisions and weighed heavily on our quality of life. We were stressed out and weren't able to spend as much time with the kids because we both had to work full time in jobs that we couldn't easily quit or replace. It was very much a work-to-live environment and we felt trapped. We also were house poor which we wouldn't do again. Our current life in Portland is pretty different in that we have little to no commute and huge flexibility in work schedules. We live in a walkable neighborhood that doesn't break the budget.

I know we cannot replicate this exact life in a major east coast city, but would it be possible to have a high QOL, good schools and a strong community (walkable would be nice but not essential) in the Boston burbs? We realize that if we just become super stressed out parents, that will cancel out the benefits of moving for the schools.

Boston suburbanites with 2 working parents and young kids, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Realistically, tell me about your quality of life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 04:50 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,484,310 times
Well as a non-parent who lived alone and in MetroWest (near rt. 2/495) in a 300-year-old town and drove 20 miles to work (third shift, so no traffic) I'd absolutely say yes, in your budget and the lower end of it, you can have what you want. The burbs are not really bedroom communities. I personally rarely went into Boston but found Cambridge/Brookline/Somerville terrific for city benefits of all kinds. I'd suggest the western suburbs/northwestern (not the top towns but the others) and you should be able to live quite well and have those good schools. Remember, most schools in eastern MA are better than most schools in other states, at least so I've heard. Best wishes on your plans.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:51 PM

23,808 posts, read 18,954,725 times
You can find those things in Greater Boston, especially on that budget. But if you were stressed out in DC, you will be probably be stressed out in Boston. Both are similar in cost, size, traffic, etc.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:55 PM

Thanks so much for the quick positive replies-- that is encouraging!

Any suggestions about which towns to look at?

Old 02-17-2021, 04:57 PM

23,808 posts, read 18,954,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcg79 View Post
Thanks so much for the quick positive replies-- that is encouraging!

Any suggestions about which towns to look at?

Hard to say without knowing where you would be working. Boston area is very difficult to get around.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:58 PM

21,801 posts, read 12,960,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You can find those things in Greater Boston, especially on that budget. But if you were stressed out in DC, you will be probably be stressed out in Boston. Both are similar in cost, size, traffic, etc.
This. You can find what you want but in general, gonna be the same as DC stress-wise but in an older home and significant snowfall.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:04 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,484,310 times
I do think DC is a whole 'other level of stress and lack of community because of career-madness. Towns around Boston (I think of Concord, Littleton, etc.) are a fine place to live with a sense of their own, not just bedroom suburbs. My humble opinion as someone who drove Rt.2 for many years against traffic to work third shift in a great hospital on the Cambridge edge of things.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:10 PM

Just to clarify-- the stress of DC was mostly caused by being house poor and long commutes to childcare-- two things we will be careful to not replicate with this situation. The "good" stress of the east coast cities-- the pace in general-- we love!

Thanks for these recommendations!

Old 02-17-2021, 05:12 PM

21,801 posts, read 12,960,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I do think DC is a whole 'other level of stress and lack of community because of career-madness. Towns around Boston (I think of Concord, Littleton, etc.) are a fine place to live with a sense of their own, not just bedroom suburbs. My humble opinion as someone who drove Rt.2 for many years against traffic to work third shift in a great hospital on the Cambridge edge of things.
The weather, old home issues, and the further distances you must travel for amenities and services in MetroWest cancels this out. The driving is a little better and traffic more predictable in Boston though.

Speaking as someone who has lived and driven in both DC and Boston. Basically, if "stress" is a concern of yours at all Boston isn't a place I would recommend.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 868,881 times
Happy to provide recommendations with a bit more info. Besides good schools what are you looking for in a house/city/town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts