Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,355 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Hoping to use people's experiences to guide us in making a good decision. My husband and I live in Boston currently and we are not native to the city or state but our jobs keep us here.

We are planning to have kids soon and don't fully understand how to think through our next steps. We are comfortable in Boston and have a good sized apartment in the Back Bay area (significant rent though).

Lot of people I know seem to move out to the suburbs once they have kids. We are wondering if we should do the same right now or wait a few years. We would want to find a house in a good school district and also a neighborhood where we can find a community. Since we are not from Boston or MA, we have very little family/friends here so we would like to be able to grow that.

Currently we have a great commute into Boston downtown which is where we will be commuting to once the WFH period is over.

What are some things we should think about but probably dont even know about?
And if we do make the move to suburbs, which areas should we consider. I think our budget would be around 800-900K.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 02:02 PM

875 posts, read 671,641 times
I wouldn't move out of the city now JUST because you are planning on having kids soon. For the first 18+ months they are immobile and you could live anywhere, and even beyond then. You can still take great advantage of all the city has to offer with young kids. Strollers, cribs etc of course start to eat up free space.

There are certainly other/additional drivers for moving ... want more space, tired of city life, tired of renting etc etc. Have to figure out what are the pros/cons and tipping point for your personal situation.

For what it's worth, we lived in the South End and Back Bay with kids and it was great - especially Back Bay with the esplanade, the common/public garden etc. at our doorstep. We owned in both so I understand how that would impact the decision process too Vs renting.

We moved to the 'burbs and are very happy - wouldn't go back now, but have no regrets and great memories of our time in the city with kids.

IMO no need to run for the 'burbs at the first 'lets make a baby' twinkle in the eye ....... but different strokes and all that.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:12 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,362,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
For the first 18+ months they are immobile

Old 02-18-2021, 02:16 PM

5,998 posts, read 2,929,835 times
My daughter could walk upright under the kitchen table at 9 months ...Not immobile. .her brothers much later.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:32 PM

875 posts, read 671,641 times
Ha, I guess ours were fat and lazy.

OP - adjust your analysis accordingly

Old 02-18-2021, 02:35 PM

21,819 posts, read 13,035,294 times
Odds are you’re going to move out of the city. That’s just the reality. I’d move sooner rather than later while you can still afford something decent in a desirable area. Prices only go up.

Right now you sound like you’re in that truth moment most young upwardly mobile people have a year or two before they move out of the city

Old 02-18-2021, 02:59 PM

17,012 posts, read 8,663,432 times
My kids both walked at 11 months lol. I get what you're saying kind of that it's not like they'll be out and about alone. Having a yard does come in handy.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:00 PM

15,854 posts, read 20,709,220 times
I owned a condo in the city and now a SFH in the suburbs. No way could I do city life with a kid. But that is personal opinion.

If you want to move out of the city, then go for it.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM

309 posts, read 166,526 times
Do you want to move even if you don't have kids? I wouldn't move based on a situation that doesn't exist. You may find that the home you pick isn't suitable once you do have a child. You also don't need to buy all the stuff marketed to new parents because most of it won't be used or will be used only 1-2x.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:29 PM
r_p

230 posts, read 224,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
For what it's worth, we lived in the South End and Back Bay with kids and it was great - especially Back Bay with the esplanade, the common/public garden etc. at our doorstep. We owned in both so I understand how that would impact the decision process too Vs renting.
I agree. Young children need people around them (social skills?) and it is much better to be in areas with easy access to public places/parks where they are exposed to other young children. It is possible in suburbs too but takes more effort. You can move if space and/or schools become an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts