Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 05:49 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,899,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And I have no idea what "licensed" means, but there is no license needed for a hunting shotgun. Minors can't buy one, but they can be given one as a gift and own it.
NOPE https://www.mass.gov/info-details/gu...while-hunting- and there is no GunShow Loophole unless ypu want to do twenty years. No such thing as a "" hunting shotgun "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 05:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,054,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
NOPE https://www.mass.gov/info-details/gu...while-hunting- and there is no GunShow Loophole unless ypu want to do twenty years.
Again. Read it again. I never mentioned buying a gun..

Jesus christ people. You can own and carry a gun and have a FID card at 15 in Mass. I mentor several youths during youth seasons in Mass every year.

Stop trying to contradict people for thrills and learn from someone that knows wtf they are talking about.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:56 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,540,981 times
Quote:
Your link supports my claim. FID cards can be applied for at 14, issued at 15. You can't buy a shotgun under 18, you can be given one as a gift, and traditionally this is your first weapon in hunting families. There is nothing restricting 15 yos in Mass from having FID cards ( w/ parents permission,) a shotgun, and hunting at 15. In your link, the "firearms license" does not mean a license for a specific firearm, but a FID card. Which means a person can own and have a firearm. A hunting license is not synonymous with a FID card. Owning a shotgun to hunt, and being licensed to hunt are very different things. I never mentioned not needing a license to hunt, I said owning a hunting shotgun.

Please people. If you need to look up your positions on google, you don't have enough knowledge to make a position.
You can split hairs over what term they call it but the FID in MA is a licensing scheme plain and simple. A person in MA has to have a license (FID) to own a shotgun. A nonresident hunting with a nonresident hunting license can have a hunting gun without an FID for that limited purpose and time they hunt. Not much of an exception.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Again. Read it again. I never mentioned buying a gun.
Read the very top of the link I provided. it states: "Massachusetts residents 15 years and older who wish to possess, carry, and transport firearms, ammunition, and feeding devices are required to have a firearms license. Firearms licenses are issued by municipal police departments."

The word I bolded. Possess-is key here. You can't possess a shotgun in MA without a license.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Read the very top of the link I provided. it states: "Massachusetts residents 15 years and older who wish to possess, carry, and transport firearms, ammunition, and feeding devices are required to have a firearms license. Firearms licenses are issued by municipal police departments."

The word I bolded. Possess-is key here. You can't possess a shotgun in MA without a license.

A Firearm Identification Card is not a license for a specific gun, or guns. And you do not have to be 18 for it.

Again, this you choose to read, makes clear my response was correct

Old 12-01-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
A Firearm Identification Card is not a license for a specific gun, or guns. And you do not have to be 18 for it.

Again, this you choose to read, makes clear my response was correct
No, you stated: "And I have no idea what "licensed" means, but there is no license needed for a hunting shotgun. Minors can't buy one, but they can be given one as a gift and own it."

Which is not true at all.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, you stated: "And I have no idea what "licensed" means, but there is no license needed for a hunting shotgun. Minors can't buy one, but they can be given one as a gift and own it."

Which is not true at all.
It actually is. There is no license needed. A Firearms identification Card is NOT a license.

You may want to call it a license. Sometimes the loony GOAL NRA freaks may refer it as one, but that is not reality.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:18 PM

23,756 posts, read 18,872,156 times
FOLKS. While timberline certainly needs to get his temper under control, he is very much correct. It's all in the cited regulations. Read it.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Sigh. Sometimes I think I am just dealing with dumb, then amI realize I am dealing with next level misinformed aka libertarians. Never met a libertarian in grad school for public affairs or public policy. For good reason.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,844,495 times
Quote:
Sigh. Sometimes I think I am just dealing with dumb, then amI realize I am dealing with next level misinformed aka libertarians. Never met a libertarian in grad school for public affairs or public policy. For good reason.
Author Nassim Talib recently had a piece about libertarians. Basically if you replace authority it recent to bs. I'm not saying I agree with all policies but if there are disputes between parties you need a third and usually that's government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts