Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM

10 posts, read 39,389 times

Advertisements

I had heard about Amesbury Squawks not Talks - thanks I'll check it out! I just recently discovered the higher tax rate - it's not as bad as NH though! There seems to be a concerted effort to get the rate down which is somewhat hopeful. Do you live in Amesbury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 11:04 AM

12,392 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evita15 View Post
Yes I've been to Dover a lot recently, it's what initiated all of this. After we visited and saw the adorable downtown we were interested in living near there - then my sister's husband coincidentally got a job offer in Dover and they moved there. However, I've heard from her that the Dover schools system is pretty bad, so we unfortunately took it off our list. Kids are the priority. Do you live in Amesbury?
Yes, I only hear occasion hearsay, but Dover schools don't have an outstanding reputation, and they do have high taxes - if you're going to be paying those higher school taxes and have kids, I can see saying you might as well be in Exeter or Durham and get the benefits.

Newburyport schools have a better rep than Amesbury's, though still not stellar for Massachusetts, and I don't know how Amesbury and Newburyport compare to Exeter and Durham.

Amesbury taxes are still on the high side, but they've actually fallen a few dollars in recent years - in 2014, the rate was $20.97, and in 2019, it was $18.37 per thousand, and I think it's supposed to fall a bit more for 2020.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 PM

P.S. I got curious and did a little googling around standardized tests - Mass has the MCAS tests statewide, and it appears that as expected, Amesbury is a little above the state average, and Newburyport is a little better than Amesbury:
MCAS Tests of Spring 2019 Percent of Students at Each Achievement Level - Amesbury (00070000)
MCAS Tests of Spring 2019 Percent of Students at Each Achievement Level - Newburyport (02040000)

New Hampshire has something analogous to MCAS, and it appears that Oyster River is very good, Exeter is a little bit below Oyster River, and Dover is markedly below the other two.
https://my.doe.nh.gov/profiles/profi...=423&year=2017
https://my.doe.nh.gov/profiles/profi...=173&year=2017
https://my.doe.nh.gov/profiles/profi...=141&year=2017

Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 39,389 times
Wow that's some detailed research! Thank you! I know there's more to schools than test scores but this is helpful!

Old 12-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evita15 View Post
Wow that's some detailed research! Thank you! I know there's more to schools than test scores but this is helpful!
Of course someone can always argue that a test isn't perfect, but talking to one or two people to get anecdotal information isn't perfect by any means either. Their experiences, their attitudes, their outcomes may not be reflective of people on the whole. To me, ideally, you don't rely on just one or the other - you look up the statistically representative test results for objective, quantitative comparison, *and* for selected places of serious interest, you also try to set boots on the ground and talk to people to get some additional color from a few first-person discussions.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:32 AM

55 posts, read 44,201 times
I just wanted to follow up on this to see if there are any new thoughts on Amesbury? Turns out choosing a place to set down roots so to speak is really hard and stressful. Amesbury has made it onto my list to look into. I am young and single with no kids so that is a consideration. I know the Boston / Cambridge area would be best but I don’t work in the immediate Boston area so I don’t want to pay those prices and commute on top of that, especially since I am sort of over roommates at this point.

I am a bit concerned that Amesbury might be a place that says yes to everything on the ballet since it’s taxes are so high. Does anyone have background on that? Is it just because their tax base is small? I’m more of a no, I don’t want to spend money on most of these things that we don’t actually really really need kind of a person, especially since I don’t have kids using the schools.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:30 AM

604 posts, read 561,242 times
I went to college with a kid from Amesbury and he did just fine for himself. It's a middle class Essex County town. There will be a mix of overacheivers and underacheivers. If you're an involved parent I think your child will do just fine up there. If you find a house and neighborhood you like, I'd go for it. You can always sell your house if you don't like it. As earlier posters said, there's a lot to do in driving distance (the beach, Maine, Salem, Portsmouth, Boston etc)

Old 07-22-2020, 02:39 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I had some friends from Newburyport that bought a lovely home on a lake (I forget the name of the lake) in Amesbury. They said they always felt like they were always on vacation.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:50 PM

This area is very competitive on the real estate and unless you have a huge budget, there will be compromises. To me, you need to look at some real basics like:
- Can I afford it?
- Is it safe?
- Can I manage the commute?

For many people of normal means, if the answers to those three questions are yes, the town should be in play, and beyond this one should expect some tradeoffs... what the priorities are is personal, but you won't get everything you want, for a normal human salary, that much one needs to accept.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:21 AM

55 posts, read 44,201 times
The commute is one reason I did not initially look at it. It is expensive, and I’m not thrilled about the high property taxes but it does seem to have that nice quiet balance I am looking for. I feel like a lot of places I have looked just aren’t as relaxing and Amesbury seems very relaxing. I also love the ocean. I also think that with COVID it will probably be a year at least before everyone starts regularly commuting again. Hopefully they don’t go back to 5 days a week. I definitely will probably try and work from home more if I live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts