Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 03:19 PM

194 posts, read 408,520 times

Advertisements

New Restaurant in Mercantile Center

GoLocalWorcester | New 500-Seat Restaurant to Open at Mercantile Center in 2021

Daughter works across the street in the Unum Building. I believe a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is going in same building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 09:41 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,414,297 times
Now if only the wages would go up. I applied to an accounting job close to my house, and it paid $38,000. I couldn't believe it. Required bachelor's degree and several years of experience. I can't understand how comparable jobs in Boston pay $80k and in Worcester it's below $40k.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:05 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Now if only the wages would go up. I applied to an accounting job close to my house, and it paid $38,000. I couldn't believe it. Required bachelor's degree and several years of experience. I can't understand how comparable jobs in Boston pay $80k and in Worcester it's below $40k.
Are you serious? Thats absurd. A Joke. Maybe it was the company?

Old 12-07-2019, 03:18 PM

604 posts, read 562,809 times
That’s insane. Did you try negotiating up at all? If they really expect mid career people to live on that in 2019+, then you dodged a bullet by not working there.

It’s probably a backfill for a position that somebody left after making that for 20 years or something like that.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,738,814 times
38k wtf, I'm pretty sure State Street paid more than that when I graduated in 2006. And everyone leaves State St cause they pay so low.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:33 AM

194 posts, read 408,520 times
That seems quite low. Both my children, mid to late 20s, work downtown. As do a few of thier friends and all make in the late 40k to early 60k.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,145,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Are you serious? Thats absurd. A Joke. Maybe it was the company?
Certain institutional employers in Worcester provide below market pay, but total compensation is relatively competitive.

For example, my wife was receiving 26% contributions to her 403b with 2% personal contribution. She also had a top flight Blue Cross HMO at zero cost. In that instance, her wages did not at all reflect her total compensation.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:07 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
For the last five years, the City Council has overwhelmingly voted to raise the tax rate on businesses in the name of easing the financial burden on residents. Over that same period, half a dozen companies have left the city, taking with them hundreds of jobs.

Read the full article here:

Does the heavy tax burden drive businesses out of Worcester?
https://www.telegram.com/news/201912...t-of-worcester

Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,145,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
For the last five years, the City Council has overwhelmingly voted to raise the tax rate on businesses in the name of easing the financial burden on residents. Over that same period, half a dozen companies have left the city, taking with them hundreds of jobs.

Read the full article here:

Does the heavy tax burden drive businesses out of Worcester?
https://www.telegram.com/news/201912...t-of-worcester
The problem is two fold:

The commercial tax base is shrinking because Worcester's colleges and hospitals are buying up RE. This is a good problem to have as these institutions are the city's best employers in terms of wages and stability.This does, however, mean a small share of for-profits are hit with the tax burden.

Real estate taxes are already high in the city and residential landlords are also businessman with lobbying power. As much as commercial RE owners are fighting for lower tax rates, for profit residential RE owners are fighting to limit theirs. I don't see commercial interests winning this battle as largest employers are already paying low effective rates and res landlords are already being hit a large tax bill.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:19 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,957,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The problem is two fold:

The commercial tax base is shrinking because Worcester's colleges and hospitals are buying up RE. This is a good problem to have as these institutions are the city's best employers in terms of wages and stability.This does, however, mean a small share of for-profits are hit with the tax burden.

Real estate taxes are already high in the city and residential landlords are also businessman with lobbying power. As much as commercial RE owners are fighting for lower tax rates, for profit residential RE owners are fighting to limit theirs. I don't see commercial interests winning this battle as largest employers are already paying low effective rates and res landlords are already being hit a large tax bill.
Agreed. Worcester needs to expand out their PILOT program. We need to keep the positive economic momentum going.

https://www.worcestermag.com/news/20...ng-their-share
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts