Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 PM

17,745 posts, read 9,202,314 times

Advertisements

Florida looks like a nice place to drive through.

https://goo.gl/maps/xU4HSTLaX3TaZr7TA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 06:47 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Florida is essentially a half-abandoned rural trailer park plopped on a rugged hilltop. Slightly different idea, still isolated but close to services in North Adams if you consider that a place.
Not just Florida, but also its hill neighbors.

Gorgeous country, no doubt about it. If you want to leaf peep, Rte 2 is where it's at.

However, as the saying goes, one cannot eat landscape.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:49 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Ware, Palmer, Orange, Athol, Winchendon, Webster. We’re all peas in an unenviable pod. Small but dense milltowns the economy forgot but the opiates didn’t, and no employment centers nearby.

Florida is essentially a half-abandoned rural trailer park plopped on a rugged hilltop. Slightly different idea, still isolated but close to services in North Adams if you consider that a place.
I would probably put Southbridge on the list before Webster. At least Webster has 395 and you can be in downtown Worcester in 20 minutes (Boston in an hour lol) several supermarkets and shopping nearby. Some beautiful homes along the lake and east of the highway in hidden neighborhoods.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:27 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Are Randy and Lahey running the show?
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ware,_Massachusetts

Ware, The Town that Can't Be Licked. It got that nickname a long time ago when it actually made a comeback. Look at the lovely picture of its "historic district." And if you look around, remember, it's WORSE than it looks. The people, the housing, the lack of education, the drugs. Of course there are some nice people but I think most who move there don't stay too long. Everyone else has been there for generations. Creepy place and there's nothing near it either.
I drove through there once, after a long day and starving. Was happy just to find a Subway. The only thing that really stood out was that it had a very "un-Massachusetts" look and feel to it (like it got lost finding its way back to Appalachia?). Could be just a Western Mass. thing, I suppose.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:17 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Are Randy and Lahey running the show?

I drove through there once, after a long day and starving. Was happy just to find a Subway. The only thing that really stood out was that it had a very "un-Massachusetts" look and feel to it (like it got lost finding its way back to Appalachia?). Could be just a Western Mass. thing, I suppose.
Appalachia, lol. Nope, that is NOT a WMass kind of thing at all! WMass is mostly green and hilly with rivers and valleys, pretty towns, a lot of suburbia, some semi rural, some sort of dead, but mostly running along pretty well. Holyoke is our Lawrence, Springfield used to be our "big" city for working and shopping.

Ware? It must have been a small industrial town like so many other MA towns at one time. Then the state made the Quabbin Reservoir back in the 1930s, which flooded a huge area, leaving Ware on the other side all by itself. You have to drive around the reservoir to get to Ware unless you're getting off the Mass Pike in Palmer--in that case, you have to drive on rte 32 quite a way to get there. But there's usually no reason for anyone to get off in Palmer either--not much there and not much anywhere around there, just run down.

Probably Ware continued to roll along through the 1930s and beyond with its inhabitants working in the mills--but it was essentially shut off from the rest of the world by that huge reservoir. Also, with the neighboring towns flooded no one was going back and forth from those towns to Ware either. No new life, no new people, no one coming to shop, and no one wanting to live there. Ware just sort of suffocated and then when manufacturing ended, it mostly died.

If feels more like central MA to me, not WMass, even though it's in Hampshire County. Maybe part of the feeling is of being stuck in decline from the 1930s to the 1950s. It has a 1930s-1950s vibe. Then when the mills truly died, that was the end of it. High poverty, high crime. Nice to see that they finally have a grocery store and someone said a Walmart. Sad town, though.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:46 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Appalachia, lol. Nope, that is NOT a WMass kind of thing at all! WMass is mostly green and hilly with rivers and valleys, pretty towns, a lot of suburbia, some semi rural, some sort of dead, but mostly running along pretty well. Holyoke is our Lawrence, Springfield used to be our "big" city for working and shopping.
I'm more talking about the appearance (the main street especially), physical layout and how it's kind of tucked right into the hills (as well as the isolation). Central Mass. has its other forgotten industrial towns such as Athol or Winchendon, but I just see them as a MA version of similar towns in NH or ME. Towns I've seen in Western MA have a different look to them, but not quite like Ware. I guess Pittsfield might be kind of the same idea, but that's quite a bit larger and surrounded by touristy areas.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:09 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,530,516 times
Quote:
I can't rep you again, but you it's so true. Was it Orange that had the airport? Those are places I went a long time ago so they've faded from memory. If you go there, you usually don't go back again. I'm sure you know of (gag) Bondsville. I think it's officially a village in Palmer. What a desolate place that is.
Orange sure does have a municipal airport. It’s a skydiving destination, and about the only thing that draws outsiders to our outskirts.

Bondsville is indeed creepy along with the rest of Palmer. The -villes I can think of in Central and Western MA are totally forgotten industrial hamlets where a socioeconomic hand grenade went off decades ago. Add Baldwinville (Templeton sub village) and Gilbertville (Hardwick sub village) to that list. The latter has a great bakery (Rose 32) and new brewery (Lost Towns) worth seeking out in the middle of Massalachia though. Right on the outskirts of Ware!

Warren is another place in that zone with the total banjo vibe.

Last edited by FCMA; 01-25-2020 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-25-2020, 11:15 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There's a Super Walmart in Ware.
Also, of all people UFC President Dana White apparently spent a big part of his young adult life in Ware. The guy is estimated to be worth $500 million so he may be the wealthiest guy alive to have any association with that place.

According to some interviews I’ve read White left Ware when Whitey Bulger’s associate Kevin Weeks threatened him. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was all bullcrap. With the lack of anything there most likely including police force it seems like Ware would be perfect for a mobster like Whitey and his associates to have a prescience there. However Dana lies A LOT. Also in some interviews where he talks about this he uses Ware and Boston as places interchangeably and as anyone from MA knows the two places couldn’t be more different.

Just a weird little Ware factoid anyway

Old 01-25-2020, 02:18 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,991 times
I thought Dana was running some lucrative "Boxing-Exercise" classes in South Boston and Whitey wanted in on it?

Two towns I've lived in and want nothing more to do with are: Mashpee (Trashpee) and Wareham (Wasteham).

A lot of the old mill towns i.e New Bedford, Fall River, Fitchburg, Lowell etc suffer from dense, low income housing. Who wants to live in a 3 family house without parking or a yard?
If Urban renewal meant tearing down every other house so the remaining ones had a driveway and yard I think their value would soar. I would love to own a 3 family like that.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:15 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I thought Dana was running some lucrative "Boxing-Exercise" classes in South Boston and Whitey wanted in on it?

Two towns I've lived in and want nothing more to do with are: Mashpee (Trashpee) and Wareham (Wasteham).

A lot of the old mill towns i.e New Bedford, Fall River, Fitchburg, Lowell etc suffer from dense, low income housing. Who wants to live in a 3 family house without parking or a yard?
If Urban renewal meant tearing down every other house so the remaining ones had a driveway and yard I think their value would soar. I would love to own a 3 family like that.
It’s possible. Every time I read or hear about why Dana left Massachusetts the story seems to be a little different. Surprise. People who move across the country because of some mob involvement aren’t the most reliable sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts