Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 12:09 PM

18 posts, read 36,540 times

Advertisements

I was considering several houses within my budget in Belmont, MA, however, the houses are only in the market for maybe 1 week or so.

I can see Belmont, MA is very close to Cambridge, and Boston. The school is top notch. However, compared to Lexington, Belmont houses are relatively smaller, and closer to neighbors.

I am curious why Belmont is relatively expensive, but highly sought after. Did I miss anything?

Thank you for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 12:16 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Location. Location. Location.

Being in closer to Lexington can save a ton of time, plus, if you're at Harvard or nearby you can just take a bus, or even easily bike or walk down the bike path to Alewife for redline access, or, if going to other places, there are two commuter rail stops.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:07 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxer View Post
I was considering several houses within my budget in Belmont, MA, however, the houses are only in the market for maybe 1 week or so.

I can see Belmont, MA is very close to Cambridge, and Boston. The school is top notch. However, compared to Lexington, Belmont houses are relatively smaller, and closer to neighbors.

I am curious why Belmont is relatively expensive, but highly sought after. Did I miss anything?

Thank you for any comments.
That's how capitalism works. Things that are highly sought after become expensive. As timberline said, Belmont is closer to Boston/Cambridge, so it's price per square foot is going to be higher.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:37 PM

100 posts, read 84,329 times
Will homes in Belmont go higher in price with years? Is it a good investment? The prices are excruciatingly high!

Old 02-06-2020, 02:06 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic2020 View Post
Will homes in Belmont go higher in price with years? Is it a good investment? The prices are excruciatingly high!
Depends on whether banks are willing to continue to give loans out at crazy high DTIs.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:07 PM

18 posts, read 36,540 times
Thank you for all the comments.

My another observation is although Belmont is closer to Cambridge and Boston, it is far from highway 95 and 93 which makes commuting to jobs in the suburbs longer.

Winchester is close to Boston and 93, which seems the houses at Winchester should be at least comparable to Belmont. The reality is the price per square foot is close to 600, while in Winchester, it is around 400+.

Any other comments is there any historical reason why people like Belmont so much?

Old 02-06-2020, 03:15 PM

282 posts, read 575,160 times
I grew up in Belmont. My father worked in Cambridge so it was perfect for him. It was, don't know if it still is, a great place to raise children. The schools were excellent and the part of town where we lived had access to fields and woods to play in. My parents more than tripled their initial investment when they sold the house and I can only imagine that will continue.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:22 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I worked in Belmont most of my working life. Very convenient to Cambridge and with an intellectual vibe, town density but not city. Not suburban closer in to Cambridge. Good public transport. A marvelous town.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:37 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxer View Post

Winchester is close to Boston and 93, which seems the houses at Winchester should be at least comparable to Belmont. The reality is the price per square foot is close to 600, while in Winchester, it is around 400+.

Much harder to get into town on public transit from Winchester.

Not hard to get to route 95 jobs if you're near route 2 in Belmont. My father worked in Bedford when I was young.

Winchester is nice though, but I'd much rather be a teen in Belmont with access to Cambridge and Boston.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:42 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic2020 View Post
Will homes in Belmont go higher in price with years?
Almost certainly. Belmont is a prime, sought after location. Other areas may lose value but gold plated towns like Belmont will not. If anything Belmont is more attractive than ever with the nearly unbearable congestion and traffic that has developed in this region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts