Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 04:55 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Randolph schools are very likely better than the average American public school district.
Just barely below average (-0.2):

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-compares.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 06:16 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I'd stay east of Worcester. Central Mass is Massachusetts' answer to flyover country, especially western and southern Worcester County. Shrewsbury and towns eastward would be a far better choice. Quality of schools is just as high as Wachusett, and your commute to work ans school would be shorter.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:40 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
a...

Uh....yes there are historical black neighborhoods outside of boston
Springfield, MA - Our Plural History.

DeBerry has a high school named after him. John Brown came from here. Dunbar has a community center down the street from me. There's a long history.

https://valleyadvocate.com/2017/06/0...story-nowhere/
Thank you for correcting my statement. I meant the Boston area, not the whole state. More Boston-centric errors.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Interesting. I would imagine so in the Greendale area of Worcester, or scattered in Vernon Hill, or Clinton, Leominster or Fitchburg...but Shrewsbury that's kind of surprising. Especially most (white) Catholics these days are middle-class. The white trash may have Irish or French surnames, but wouldn't be identified as Catholic by most.
Someone living in a small owner-occupied tract house in Shrewsbury is middle class for greater Worcester, right? They’re not in the bottom 30% for the metro area. There’s this metro Boston affluent skew where middle class is 2,500 sf, granite & stainless, college degrees, 6-figure household income, and a late model compact crossover or two in the driveway. It’s well below the median for Shrewsbury but that’s a 6-figure household income town with north of 60% of adults with college degrees.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:57 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I'd stay east of Worcester. Central Mass is Massachusetts' answer to flyover country, especially western and southern Worcester County. Shrewsbury and towns eastward would be a far better choice. Quality of schools is just as high as Wachusett, and your commute to work ans school would be shorter.
The commute to St V's from Northborough or Hopkinton or even Grafton can be a lot longer than the commute from Rutland

Old 06-09-2020, 06:34 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
The commute to St V's from Northborough or Hopkinton or even Grafton can be a lot longer than the commute from Rutland

Not that I'm advocating Northborough but the drive from Northborough Center at Route 20 & Church Street to UMass Medical or St Vincent is less than 15 minutes.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:11 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Someone living in a small owner-occupied tract house in Shrewsbury is middle class for greater Worcester, right? They’re not in the bottom 30% for the metro area. There’s this metro Boston affluent skew where middle class is 2,500 sf, granite & stainless, college degrees, 6-figure household income, and a late model compact crossover or two in the driveway. It’s well below the median for Shrewsbury but that’s a 6-figure household income town with north of 60% of adults with college degrees.
I think north of the Worcester was historically the wealthy suburbs. Now I think that probably skews east with the tech/bio jobs on 495. Shrewsbury and the 4 borough tows along with Grafton may take the wealthy suburbs of Worcester or even extended Metro west of Boston over Holden, Paxton and Boylston

Old 06-09-2020, 08:05 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not that I'm advocating Northborough but the drive from Northborough Center at Route 20 & Church Street to UMass Medical or St Vincent is less than 15 minutes.
Correct. If you’re off the Crawford/West St area your commute to Worcester won’t be any worse than the desirable Prospect St area of Shrewsbury.

Same for sections of Boylston.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:34 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
It depends on your definition of racism. Most people in exurban and rural towns throughout New England are not accustomed to observing or interacting with non-white people in their local communities. Therefore, townsfolk in Rutland might glare at you simply because you look very different from everybody else in town. For the record, that is normal human behavior, regardless of what culture or place we are discussing, even though the ANTIFA and Black Lives Matter organizations would probably describe glaring as racist behavior. Now that almost all of the first- and second-generation Canadian and European immigrants in southern New England have passed away and the United States becomes increasingly more diverse from a racial standpoint, I suspect central Massachusetts will become increasingly more nativist and, as a result, will reject the liberal ideals of diversity and inclusion.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:26 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
It depends on your definition of racism. Most people in exurban and rural towns throughout New England are not accustomed to observing or interacting with non-white people in their local communities. Therefore, townsfolk in Rutland might glare at you simply because you look very different from everybody else in town. For the record, that is normal human behavior, regardless of what culture or place we are discussing, even though the ANTIFA and Black Lives Matter organizations would probably describe glaring as racist behavior. Now that almost all of the first- and second-generation Canadian and European immigrants in southern New England have passed away and the United States becomes increasingly more diverse from a racial standpoint, I suspect central Massachusetts will become increasingly more nativist and, as a result, will reject the liberal ideals of diversity and inclusion.
ummm..no.

Central MA like any and everywhere else in MA will become more diverse. As it already is. Central MA in particular with Puerto Ricans and Africans and Asians in select areas.

See Marlborough, Fitchburg, Southbridge, Worcester, Leominster, Shrewsbury etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts