Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 05:12 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,534,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Really.. back in March of 2010 when Obama was President, the U.S. centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated then that about 60 million Americans had contracted the H1N1 virus. Did our leaders shut down the economy or mandate that we all wear masks “NO” the panic level was: total chill!
H1N1 caused about 12,500 deaths in the U.S. over a year versus 130,000 by Covid19 over five months with shutdown precautions. 8,000 have died so far just in Massachusetts.

But let’s chill here and get RINO King Charlie Faker out of the way! He believes in an approach informed by data, science, and the swamp of deep state so-called “experts”, and therefore must be stopped in the name of our glorious FREEDOM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 09:42 AM

6,298 posts, read 5,168,779 times
Quote:
Really.. back in March of 2010 when Obama was President, the U.S. centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated then that about 60 million Americans had contracted the H1N1 virus. Did our leaders shut down the economy or mandate that we all wear masks “NO” the panic level was: total chill!
Short memories? First of all, H1N1 was not as contagious nor as fatal as COVID-19. Second, a vaccine was available very quickly...on a rationed basis at first for high risk and school-age kids, if I'm not mistaken. My spouse and child both received it through their physicians. But even someone like myself who was not in a risk group was able to get the vaccine later in the season (I remember having to queue up at a fire station in Avon, CT where I was residing at the time).

Old 07-01-2020, 09:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:

Wasn't it great how efficiently and quickly the Feds responded back then?

Wonderful.

To have a relatively competent leader was truly a quality time.

Now we have a nut job that calls Merkel stupid (yeah, the leader with a Phd in Quantum Chemistry) and botches everything...

Old 07-01-2020, 05:43 PM

12,607 posts, read 9,735,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Short memories? First of all, H1N1 was not as contagious nor as fatal as COVID-19. Second, a vaccine was available very quickly...on a rationed basis at first for high risk and school-age kids, if I'm not mistaken. My spouse and child both received it through their physicians. But even someone like myself who was not in a risk group was able to get the vaccine later in the season (I remember having to queue up at a fire station in Avon, CT where I was residing at the time).
Yes, Covid-19 is much more easily transmitted and it's fatality rate is much higher, compared to H1N1. That's why we need to take stronger mitigation measures. And yes, the federal response was swifter and smoother during H1N1.
https://www.livescience.com/covid-19...swine-flu.html

Old 07-01-2020, 10:33 PM

139 posts, read 68,737 times
I found it amusing when someone complained about school children having to wear a mask for six hours, constantly all day at school. And they have to eat in their rooms! Well, that means they get at least 20-30 minutes mid-day without their masks to eat! (Nurses and doctors are often not so fortunate!) I would also remind parents that masks with elastics that go around the head are far more comfortable than ones that go around the ears. And you can let the outside of the mask rest against your shirt while hanging around your neck. This will help prevent kids from loosing as many masks. They can put a napkin over the mask to keep it clean during lunch...a bib!

There are ways, we can all adjust!

Old 07-01-2020, 10:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 8,107,261 times
Did someone just compare H1N1 to COVID.... are you f***n joking?

Please Right Wingers, just let Science take this one. Please for the love of god.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:09 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,243,266 times
Charlie Baker is one of the best governors out there on this. National leadership has been absent. I for one am glad to be in a state that takes this three seriously and that is culturally seemingly more willing than some to take the very minimal efforts the health experts recommend to keep the community safe. I returned lived in MA for 7 years and then moved to Florida for 15 years. I've been back for just less than 2 years. I grew up in Michigan and also lived in a couple of other states along the way. The friends I have that have been found to be COVID 19 positive are in Florida. Coincidence? I will take Baker over Desantis evry day of the week and twice on Sunday, as they say,

Old 07-02-2020, 05:13 AM

73 posts, read 62,343 times
Baker vs Cuomo 2024 for president?

Old 07-02-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Did someone just compare H1N1 to COVID.... are you f***n joking?

Please Right Wingers, just let Science take this one. Please for the love of god.
You should check out the main thread here. There are people on there comparing this to the common cold also.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airunxc View Post
Baker vs Cuomo 2024 for president?
That's intriguing...but to the much of the country, keep in mind, Baker smells like a Democrat so this would not represent enough of a contrast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts