Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 11:08 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,560,775 times

Advertisements

I don’t know that it was politically motivated but i think whoever did it is out to hurt the feelings of catholic people. I mean burning the Virgin Mary? I’m not even that catholic, I don’t go to church but it just seems evil. Kind of like stealing baby Jesus or any figure from a nativity scene. It’s just nasty.

Should get the same contempt that people give to those who deface blm signs. It won’t though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 11:10 AM

23,828 posts, read 18,984,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Wrong. There was a very recent landmark ruling by the U.S. supreme court, pursued by two Catholic entities, which has significant impacts to what were assumed to be basic civil rights.

If you think that in a population of 6+ million, there isn't some small minority of people still angry about the rampant rape and associated cover ups, or the church's political activism (virtue signaling via policy) post rape crisis ... you'd have to be a bit naive. There's pretty deep resent for the church locally, which includes a whole bunch of self-identifying Catholics.

Again, I don't advocate for the vandalism of property, but I also don't think it's all shocking that single actor might be motivated to "stick it" to the church given their recent history.
Without knowing what SJC ruling you are talking about, I doubt if any of the rape victims would be involved in such especially since that was 20+ years ago now. They are all now much older, and likely would have acted by now if ever.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I don’t know that it was politically motivated but i think whoever did it is out to hurt the feelings of catholic people. I mean burning the Virgin Mary? I’m not even that catholic, I don’t go to church but it just seems evil. Kind of like stealing baby Jesus or any figure from a nativity scene. It’s just nasty.

Should get the same contempt that people give to those who deface blm signs. It won’t though.

Hopefully they'll do an investigation and find out. It could have been a mentally ill person, perhaps just kids messing around, or perhaps someone abused by the Church. Or who knows. We don't know yet.

A friend of mine's husband went out for a last smoke on their front stoop in Federal Hill a couple of weeks ago and someone had set a pillar on their front porch on fire. Random luck that he went out then. Why would someone do that? Who knows. Probably they'll never know.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:20 AM

It’s also happened during a time where people are going to lengths to
Change the names of things like Plymouth plantation to be more inclusive to everyone and take down monuments that offend people and paint BLm signs, etc. whoever did it seems to be sending a message mentally ill or not. The statue had been there since world war 2 and was meant to welcome home soldiers.

The Virgin Mary really shouldn’t offend anyone and if it does they have some issues. Either way it was no ones right to set it on fire as it could have caused even more destruction. We just can’t have anything nice these days.

Last edited by Bridge781; 07-13-2020 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: J

Old 07-13-2020, 11:24 AM

A random pillar seems a bit different than a bouquet of flowers held by mother Mary outside an old Catholic Church.

St. Peter’s has actually been featured on Ripleys believe it or not:

https://www.dotnews.com/columns/2011...ling-st-peter-

Last edited by Bridge781; 07-13-2020 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: M

Old 07-13-2020, 11:28 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,425,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Any reason at all to believe there is a political motive behind this and not just vandalism which happens all the time??
Agree. More likely a nutsy teenager. Could not resist lighting the flowers.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:29 AM

15,844 posts, read 20,665,085 times
I didn't see any sort of claim to responsibility or any thought to whom could of done this. Is that correct? It could be just some random kid who thought it would be "funny".

I remember when I was a kid (and this sticks in my mind because of how overblown it was) me and a friend were are a playground playing with a see-saw. It was innocent playing, but we might have been a little bit rough with it and the mechanism that held the contraption together broke. In our defense, it was a very sketchy way the see-saw was being held on, but alas, we broke it by accident. No malicious intent. We were 12 or so, so we ran.

That week in the local paper, a photo of the broken see-saw ON THE FRONT PAGE and an article about hoodlum vandalism! I was shocked. My friend and I kept our mouths shut while things blew over.

I realize this isn't the same thing, but my point was before this blows up into a 5-page thread pointing fingers at various targets, it could be nothing more than some random act of kids being kids. Anyway, carry on

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-13-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-13-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
A random pillar seems a bit different than a bouquet of flowers held by mother Mary outside an old Catholic Church.

St. Peter’s has actually been featured on Ripleys believe it or not:

https://www.dotnews.com/columns/2011...ling-st-peter-

Both are things a kid or mentally ill person would do, so no, not very. Though yeah, different, in that there are a lot more reasons for there to be massive amounts of people with incredible anger toward the Catholic church. Having been raised in a very Catholic family, I've seen plenty of it. Odds are though, it probably some hoodlum kids. Hope they figure it out.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:31 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,825,635 times
It's just another example of how crazy this world is today. They vandalized Plymouth Rock, they're beheading Christopher Columbus--and I don't know who "they" are, but it's not one person, it's an example of what's happening all over. The protests started out peacefully and were well intentioned but they have been hijacked by these kinds of idiots. Probably a bunch of kids.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's just another example of how crazy this world is today. They vandalized Plymouth Rock, they're beheading Christopher Columbus--and I don't know who "they" are, but it's not one person, it's an example of what's happening all over. The protests started out peacefully and were well intentioned but they have been hijacked by these kinds of idiots. Probably a bunch of kids.

Well no. They're beheading a statue of him.

And that is MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer to what he actually did to living humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts