Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 11:37 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

It’s interesting to me that when a BLM sign is taken down or something having to do with a non white person it’s automatically racism. But lighting the Virgin Mary on fire in front of a Catholic Church in an all black neighborhood is just kids having fun. Okey dokey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 11:38 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Without knowing what SJC ruling you are talking about, I doubt if any of the rape victims would be involved in such especially since that was 20+ years ago now. They are all now much older, and likely would have acted by now if ever.
I'm suggesting that nearly 20 years of negativity regarding the Catholic church renders it a rather 'easy' target of the lone act of vandalism, whether the culprit have direct motivation or it's a random act of petty anarchy.

Destruction of nativity scenes and such has been an issue for as long as I can remember. Teens particularly love targeting the church as they tend to view as it an oppressive force ... whether that be politically or socially. Angsty teens aren't exactly welcoming of morale superiority.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:38 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Without knowing what SJC ruling you are talking about, I doubt if any of the rape victims would be involved in such especially since that was 20+ years ago now. They are all now much older, and likely would have acted by now if ever.
Could be the Supreme Court ruling last week in favor of Little Sisters Of The Poor.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:39 AM

I can see why people hate Columbus. He was disgusting. Can’t say I’d go behead a statue of him or throw blood on it but I’m somewhat level headed.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It’s interesting to me that when a BLM sign is taken down or something having to do with a non white person it’s automatically racism. But lighting the Virgin Mary on fire in front of a Catholic Church in an all black neighborhood is just kids having fun. Okey dokey.

Its interesting to me people can conflate completely unrelated topics and situations grasping for moral equivalency.

Of course, I don't also see anyone saying this is ok. It's just impossible to know if there was a a political or social message behind this at this point. Whereas, when people attack BLM statements they make their political and social stances clear when doing so.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:42 AM

If it is politically motivated I have to say that st Peters of all places seems like a weird neighborhood to target. I’d think they’d want to go to a place where there’s actually a catholic presence. The area of St. Peter’s church is today poor with hardly any church attendance. Vandalizing a Catholic Church in southie, Milton or Quincy would have probably received more attention.

Last edited by Bridge781; 07-13-2020 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: K

Old 07-13-2020, 11:48 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Could be the Supreme Court ruling last week in favor of Little Sisters Of The Poor.
Very easily could have motivated a lone actor, which is why I suggested it. It was a very contentious ruling, particularly for younger secular females who feel this is a continued attempt to control their bodies. Burning the virgin Mary would be a rather poignant message, albeit illegal and unproductive, given secular feminism's rejection of the Virgin Mary.

Not justifying the act, but I do think there are plenty of motivations which entirely separate from BLM ... and probably far more likely.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM

128 posts, read 57,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well no. They're beheading a statue of him.

And that is MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer to what he actually did to living humans.
Yeah but if that's how you feel, you're going to only go back in history to about 1960.

Its like the Dudley Sq to Nubian Sq change. Do you know who had slaves... The Nubians

Old 07-13-2020, 11:56 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Very easily could have motivated a lone actor, which is why I suggested it. It was a very contentious ruling, particularly for younger secular females who feel this is a continued attempt to control their bodies. Burning the virgin Mary would be a rather poignant message, albeit illegal and unproductive, given secular feminism's rejection of the Virgin Mary.

Not justifying the act, but I do think there are plenty of motivations which entirely separate from BLM ... and probably far more likely.
So you think a secular feminist might have done this? Not sure why a secular feminist would want to work for a Catholic organization in the first place, or why this would concern them??? Not sure that neighborhood is crawling with the type, either.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:57 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Vandalizing a Catholic Church in southie, Milton or Quincy would have probably received more attention.
It would also take a lot more cajones, something these types of cowards typically have in short supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts