Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 01:06 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,553,240 times

Advertisements

You really think there are feminists living in the bowdoin st area of Dorchester? Have you been there lately? The are is mostly African American and people from Cape Verde. It is one of the worst neighborhoods in Dorchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 01:14 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
You really think there are feminists living in the bowdoin st area of Dorchester? Have you been there lately? The are is mostly African American and people from Cape Verde. It is one of the worst neighborhoods in Dorchester.

Yes, I have zero doubt there are women there that think they are equal citizens (or should be) under the law and should have every opportunity in society as men have (aka feminists). Zero. Actually, a fair number of the female DAP associated activists artists I've seen display seem to be from that neighborhood.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:19 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,148,440 times
Quote:
Possible? Yes, white woman are not the sole purveyors.

Regardless, the list of why someone might deface Catholic property in Boston is rather long. Much longer than the list of reasons why someone identifying as a part BLM might deface the ‘Virgin’ Mary.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:20 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Wrong. There was a very recent landmark ruling by the U.S. supreme court, pursued by two Catholic entities, which has significant impacts to what were assumed to be basic civil rights.

If you think that in a population of 6+ million, there isn't some small minority of people still angry about the rampant rape and associated cover ups, or the church's political activism (virtue signaling via policy) post rape crisis ... you'd have to be a bit naive. There's pretty deep resent for the church locally, which includes a whole bunch of self-identifying Catholics.

Again, I don't advocate for the vandalism of property, but I also don't think it's all shocking that single actor might be motivated to "stick it" to the church given their recent history.
I agree. The work of one person with issus.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:31 PM

So now a theory is that a female set the statue on fire over women’s rights ?

Old 07-13-2020, 01:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,346,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, he was pardoned by those he was making filthy rich as they received the vast majority (90% believe) of what he.... collected.

No conflict of interest there.

And I dispute using little girls as sexual slaves and hacking up little boys for joy, as was done by him and his crew, was mainstream for the time.
True, as it was also true that he was accused by Spaniards that hated him because he was Italian working for the crown and they though they should have his role instead of a foreigner. The guy that investigated Columbus became governor right after him.
It's hard to interpret ancient trials. Especially when everyone has an interest.

Anyway, I already said that I don't really believe in saints. What I am saying is that Columbus played a major role in changing the world and in the creation of any american country and that is why there is a country named after him.
It's totally right to put things in perspective but it just doesn't make much sense to reduce his figure to relatively minor part of his life as governor.
It's kind of the same of people that reduce Gandhi to the fact that he was kind of a racist. Was he? yes, but that isn't really what defines him and it shouldn't be.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:50 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,346,388 times
Quote:
The most likely things is a random act of vandalism.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Pause and reread my comment above. I.e., possible but not limited to.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:56 PM

I doubt they will ever find who did this. Pretty sure the church is so poor that there weren’t any security cameras on the church itself or rectory. Maybe if someone witnessed it they would turn the person in but I highly doubt this. No one wants to help the cops or priests.

I guess it makes me sad since that was my grandmothers church her whole life after moving here from Ireland. She went there several days a week up to age 95, she never left that neighborhood. She even was knocked down and had her purse stolen from someone at 75 as she walked to church. She still didn’t move and kept going to that church. Her husband, my grandfather who died when I was 2 had a heart attack in the yard after attending mass there. My kids were christened there. Poor Mary.

Last edited by Bridge781; 07-13-2020 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: K

Old 07-13-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I doubt they will ever find who did this. Pretty sure the church is so poor that there weren’t any security cameras on the church itself or rectory. Maybe if someone witnessed it they would turn the person in but I highly doubt this. No one wants to help the cops or priests.

I guess it makes me sad since that was my grandmothers church her whole life after moving here from Ireland. She went there several days a week up to age 95. Her husband at 65 had a heart attack in the yard after attending mass there. My kids were christened there.
Ah yes, the poor Boston Archdiocese. “Broke” after an 85 million dollar lawsuit after covering up rampant sexual assault. Your warm and fuzzies do not undermine the valid resent many in Boston hold against the church. I know many life long Catholics who abandoned the church circa ‘03.

It’s okay to have positive associations with the church, but do understand the relationship for many is, at best, “complex”. At least in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts