Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 08:53 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times

Advertisements

Most similar:

Athol/Orange (cook yr meth squirrel stew here / enjoy the 2nd amendment unjudged)
Hatfield/Whately (find yr 130 yo Polish potato / tobacco farmer uncle still at it here)
Peru/Savoy (hide yr bodies here while a banjo plays faster and faster)
Burlington/Wilmington (yr actually in bland suburban NJ, and it never ever ends for the low low price of $850k)
Camberville (have yr poly union blessed by the city / judged by old money here but u can’t tell the boundary too well so use a map)

Last edited by FCMA; 07-26-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 04:08 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Boston/Brookline
Boston/Milton
Waltham/Weston

And I'll get massacred here for saying this, but...

Brockton/Easton
I don't agree at all.

I lived in an apartment on Beacon St. in Brookline years ago and it was hard to tell where the city line was. Sure, southern Brookline is very suburban and country club, but there's enough of the city that looks like Boston.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Add to most dissimilar

Fall River / Westport
I was thinking Lawrence/Andover and Springfield/Longmeadow for the abrupt socioeconomic transition. Fall River/Westport wins on the urban/rural transition.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:51 AM

914 posts, read 562,084 times
Similar:

Wakefield/Melrose. Main difference is slightly larger lot sizes in the core in Wakefield, and that Melrose has fewer infill SF developments from the last generation (it was built out and up earlier) and more recent dense apartment developments along the rail spine.

Dissimilar:

Nahant/Lynn

Old 07-27-2020, 07:08 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was thinking Lawrence/Andover and Springfield/Longmeadow for the abrupt socioeconomic transition. Fall River/Westport wins on the urban/rural transition.
Worcester/Paxton is like this as well, though 122 heading out of Worcester does become more residential prior to crossing the line. The contrast between the two is quite stark.

North Adams/Williamstown is another, though the transition isn't as abrupt.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:22 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Worcester/Paxton is like this as well, though 122 heading out of Worcester does become more residential prior to crossing the line. The contrast between the two is quite stark.
Not really, it's a pretty gradual transition there. A much greater contrast would be coming from Boylston/Shrewsbury into Worcester on Rte. 70. You go right from the woods, to Great Brook Valley.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I don't agree at all.

I lived in an apartment on Beacon St. in Brookline years ago and it was hard to tell where the city line was. Sure, southern Brookline is very suburban and country club, but there's enough of the city that looks like Boston.
Quite different IMO, from the level of upkeep to general atmosphere.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

North Adams/Williamstown is another, though the transition isn't as abrupt.
Does Paxton have a tractor pull at the town fair like Westport? My Worcester experience is zero beyond the airport or west of I-190. The ZZ Top guys at Strands ski shop in West Boylston is the farthest west of 190 I’ve ever been and that’s maybe 1/4 mile. Leif is one of the top 2 or 3 boot fitters in southern New England.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:57 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
I've found frequently that there tends to be some bleed between towns for what an area feels like which makes the transition between towns a bit less noticeable. For example. OP mentioned driving through Medfield/Dover/Needham and I've always thought the area of Needham bordering Dover feels a lot more like Dover than it does the rest of Needham. The area of Newton bordering Waltham feels a lot more like Waltham than it does much of Newton to name another example. Framingham near Wayland feels a lot more like Wayland than it does Framingham. I could go on and on.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I've found frequently that there tends to be some bleed between towns for what an area feels like which makes the transition between towns a bit less noticeable. For example. OP mentioned driving through Medfield/Dover/Needham and I've always thought the area of Needham bordering Dover feels a lot more like Dover than it does the rest of Needham. The area of Newton bordering Waltham feels a lot more like Waltham than it does much of Newton to name another example. Framingham near Wayland feels a lot more like Wayland than it does Framingham. I could go on and on.
All very true. Exceptions to that include coming from Sherborn into South Framingham, and the Waltham to Weston that I already mentioned. Fall River to Westport is another good one (even more than the ever so famous "longest bridge" from Portugal to Somerset), but they don't really share much of a border. The water is kind of a buffer, same thing with Lynn and Nahant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts