Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 05:49 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/07...ond-dangerous/
Cambridge proposal to use unarmed civilians for traffic stops, instead of police, is ‘beyond dangerous’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 06:58 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
That is the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard

Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I'd like real data on the percent of routine traffic stops that actually require armed police. I'll bet it's extremely low. Call for backup on anything that looks sketchy. Transmitting cameras on the meter maids who take over basic traffic detail. A human at the police station can roll backup for anything iffy including people mouthing off at the meter maid.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd like real data on the percent of routine traffic stops that actually require armed police. I'll bet it's extremely low. Call for backup on anything that looks sketchy. Transmitting cameras on the meter maids who take over basic traffic detail. A human at the police station can roll backup for anything iffy including people mouthing off at the meter maid.
The question to ask is how many traffic stops are "potentially" dangerous, in which that number would be 100%. If one pulls a gun on a meter maid, the "ability" to dispatch an actual cop for "backup" who could be 5 minutes away is not exactly an ideal scenario. Same idea as wearing a mask during a pandemic, which you seem very much on board with. You don't gamble with odds when it comes to human life.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:05 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
In theory, it makes sense. Ninety nine percent of the time, police don't need to use their guns to give a speeding ticket to a soccer mom. My only concern is the logistics and training (i.e. how to recognize something "iffy") and what will police response time to those situations be if they're too busy fighting violent crime? If no other towns go ahead with this, will Cambridge become the lone target knowing there is a "middle man" involved?

Old 07-29-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
In theory, it makes sense. Ninety nine percent of the time, police don't need to use their guns to give a speeding ticket to a soccer mom. My only concern is the logistics and training (i.e. how to recognize something "iffy") and what will police response time to those situations be if they're too busy fighting violent crime? If no other towns go ahead with this, will Cambridge become the lone target knowing there is a "middle man" involved?
IDK, but if I'm a drug runner I would certainly feel more comfortable doing my business in a city where I know there's little chance of being pulled over for a burnt out blinker. And no, I don't think too many other towns will follow their lead. Even Cambridge probably won't, I don't see this as much more than a couple of stray loony council members grandstanding to their loony base. Unlikely to gain traction beyond that, although it's "Cambridge" so you never really know.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:29 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
IDK, but if I'm a drug runner I would certainly feel more comfortable doing my business in a city where I know there's little chance of being pulled over for a burnt out blinker.
It's relatively common knowledge in Cambridge that the chances of being pulled over for a traffic violation are slim. The city government has quietly but steadily discouraged the police department against traffic stops due to profiling concerns. The city has lowered the speed limit in well orchestrated PR stunts several times in recent years. City council and committee meeting minutes on public record have the police as much as admitting that enforcement is not a priority and they feel unable to enforce traffic laws effectively.

One has to be driving very erratically or aggressively to get pulled over in Cambridge. All the more reason police need to handle these stops. The thought of meter maids being to give out speeding tickets...LOL.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:42 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Didn't something similar happen years ago with one of the state's police agencies? I don't recall which one off the top of my head.

But somewhere, someone thought it would be good to save a few bucks and hire non-police officers to do some minor tasks. They were civilians. Well, since they were doing some sort of minor police related duties, they went through the same training program as officers. Then, after establishing a program where they go through the same training as cops, and did some tasks that cops were doing, they decided to unionize and try and fight for the same benefits as cops were getting since they were going through the same training program and performing some police duties. Then after that, they said well, since we now get trained and paid like cops, why can't we carry guns? And eventually they were made full police officers.

Now, I can see that just being an old wive's tale, but I can also see it playing out for real here. You can't just pluck Joe 6-pack from the street and give him authority to start pulling over cars. He will need to be trained, and such training can be intensive and take time. Once these pseudo cops hit the street, it's only a matter of time before they pull over the wrong person, and something bad happens. At that point, I can see them saying "why are we risking our lives as cops, when we don't get paid the same, nor carry weapons to defend ourselves". Yes, I realize it's Cambridge and not Blue Hill ave & Morton st.

A stretch maybe.....but the world isn't sunshine and roses like the politicians of Cambridge like to believe.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Didn't something similar happen years ago with one of the state's police agencies? I don't recall which one off the top of my head.

But somewhere, someone thought it would be good to save a few bucks and hire non-police officers to do some minor tasks. They were civilians. Well, since they were doing some sort of minor police related duties, they went through the same training program as officers. Then, after establishing a program where they go through the same training as cops, and did some tasks that cops were doing, they decided to unionize and try and fight for the same benefits as cops were getting since they were going through the same training program and performing some police duties. Then after that, they said well, since we now get trained and paid like cops, why can't we carry guns? And eventually they were made full police officers.

Now, I can see that just being an old wive's tale, but I can also see it playing out for real here. You can't just pluck Joe 6-pack from the street and give him authority to start pulling over cars. He will need to be trained, and such training can be intensive and take time. Once these pseudo cops hit the street, it's only a matter of time before they pull over the wrong person, and something bad happens. At that point, I can see them saying "why are we risking our lives as cops, when we don't get paid the same, nor carry weapons to defend ourselves". Yes, I realize it's Cambridge and not Blue Hill ave & Morton st.

A stretch maybe.....but the world isn't sunshine and roses like the politicians of Cambridge like to believe.

Sounds like how the Registry cops got their start.

Of course, this is all conjecture. I've never seen any real world data on it. The police are the most self-serving union on the planet. Of course they're going to claim that any routine traffic stop is taking their lives in their hands. Same for guarding the hole detail work.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sounds like how the Registry cops got their start.

Of course, this is all conjecture. I've never seen any real world data on it. The police are the most self-serving union on the planet. Of course they're going to claim that any routine traffic stop is taking their lives in their hands. Same for guarding the hole detail work.
Since you are clearly hiding under a rock as well, please do us all a favor and don't run for any kind of office either. And comparing a traffic stop to "guarding a hole" is asinine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts