Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 07:08 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times

Advertisements

The Market Basket requirement makes this a bit tricky as there are only so many of them around and they tend to locate them in towns that don't have high performing public schools.

Have you thought about Westwood or Canton at all? This would put you closer to Waltham so that part of your commute wouldn't be as bad. Plus, you could ride the commuter rail in and switch to the Red Line for your Cambridge commute. There's a fantastic Costco in Dedham. I say it's fantastic because it has both a Costco gas station and a Costco liquor store which is pretty rare around here. You could do your shopping at Wegman's in Westwood. Your money goes surprisingly far there although not as far as Market Basket. However, IMO the meat and produce at Wegmans tends to be higher quality than what I was getting at MB. I tend to buy my non-poultry meats at Costco though because it's the best combination of quality and value there IMO. If you're insistent on MB though there is one in Stoughton. The schools in Westwood are more highly regarded of course but I would think you could get a nice new construction house in your budget in either town.

If it were me, I'd put more priority on getting to Waltham than I would getting to New Bedford. I imagine you mostly see your family on weekends when there is less traffic to deal with. So, you can stretch that distance more without adding significant time to the drive. Whereas you would be battling some pretty brutal rush hour traffic getting to Waltham and every mile you add to that drive would add much more time to the drive because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 16,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The Market Basket requirement makes this a bit tricky as there are only so many of them around and they tend to locate them in towns that don't have high performing public schools.

Have you thought about Westwood or Canton at all? This would put you closer to Waltham so that part of your commute wouldn't be as bad. Plus, you could ride the commuter rail in and switch to the Red Line for your Cambridge commute. There's a fantastic Costco in Dedham. I say it's fantastic because it has both a Costco gas station and a Costco liquor store which is pretty rare around here. You could do your shopping at Wegman's in Westwood. Your money goes surprisingly far there although not as far as Market Basket. However, IMO the meat and produce at Wegmans tends to be higher quality than what I was getting at MB. I tend to buy my non-poultry meats at Costco though because it's the best combination of quality and value there IMO. If you're insistent on MB though there is one in Stoughton. The schools in Westwood are more highly regarded of course but I would think you could get a nice new construction house in your budget in either town.

If it were me, I'd put more priority on getting to Waltham than I would getting to New Bedford. I imagine you mostly see your family on weekends when there is less traffic to deal with. So, you can stretch that distance more without adding significant time to the drive. Whereas you would be battling some pretty brutal rush hour traffic getting to Waltham and every mile you add to that drive would add much more time to the drive because of it.

Definitely not a high priority for New Bedford, we only visit our family down there a couple of times a month just nicer to not have to have them (or us) drive through city traffic if possible.

Understood with MB, Wegmans could work as an alternative. I've heard a lot of positive things about Westwood so will have to try to swing by there this weekend to take a look. We have other family in Canton and know the area, but wasn't a huge fan of majority of homes on septic. It is very close to Avon Costco though! We haven't rule that out either.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:52 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Already some horrible advice being given on this thread. For one, Sharon should be the last place you look if you want walkable/family friendly neighborhoods. And a Hingham to Waltham commute??? That is like a death wish. I honestly can't think of anywhere meeting all 4 requirements. Maybe put them in order of priority and cross off the lowest one or two?
"If OP likes the coast" was the only reason Hingham came up. And, commute to Waltham would be once a week. This might be a total shock, but some people will eat a one day a week commute to live on the ocean.

Leading considerations at that price point should be Needham and Milton, as I said.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:54 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttah View Post
Definitely not a high priority for New Bedford, we only visit our family down there a couple of times a month just nicer to not have to have them (or us) drive through city traffic if possible.

Understood with MB, Wegmans could work as an alternative. I've heard a lot of positive things about Westwood so will have to try to swing by there this weekend to take a look. We have other family in Canton and know the area, but wasn't a huge fan of majority of homes on septic. It is very close to Avon Costco though! We haven't rule that out either.
Westwood is fairly sprawled, no town center/downtown area. Doesn't sound like a great fit.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:56 AM

15 posts, read 16,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
"If OP likes the coast" was the only reason Hingham came up. And, commute to Waltham would be once a week. This might be a total shock, but some people will eat a one day a week commute to live on the ocean.

Leading considerations at that price point should be Needham and Milton, as I said.
My wife really likes the coast (or at least wants to be near it), but we'd need a slamdunk house for Hingham. The Waltham commute is once a week and can be made at off hours so it isn't an absolute deal break. I really appreciate the thought you gave it.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:08 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Milton (Diverse)
Hingham (My goal town to live in)
Canton (Nice, traditional)

I think the best part of MA is living within good distance to the sea/ocean/shore. jI would personally chose Milton or Hingham with that budget.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:19 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No Market Basket and Costco, either.
There are both in a 20 min drive

Old 08-01-2020, 08:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,433,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Say what?

Old 08-01-2020, 08:23 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Say what?
South of Boston (where the OP is looking), that's mostly the case.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,126 times
If you are looking south of Boston with these requirements, I’d say Milton. The Columbines and Milton Hill neighborhoods are family friendly with nice houses in that price range and walking distance to the 4 or 5 MBTA trolley stops in Milton to Ashmont, where you catch the Red Line to Central. The public schools are very good and you are right next to Boston (Dorchester Lower Mills, which has a bunch of good new stores and restaurants). An Uber to dinner in Boston is about $25. The challenge, noted by others, is proximity to Market Basket, as they aren’t as common south of Boston. I think the nearest one is Brockton, but not sure. Star Market and 2 Stop n Shops are close by, but the Wegmans in Westwood is pretty popular and a short ride too.

FWIW, given the need to go to Central and Waltham, I’d be looking at Arlington or Belmont with your budget (with Arlington being more likely) but get that you want to be south of Boston for other reasons. Assuming south of Boston is essential, Milton seems to be your best bet. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts