Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 02:15 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,776,384 times

Advertisements

God how I hated that commercial when I was young...lol

Anyways Anthony RIP

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...tti-commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ti1hnLiLw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 03:08 PM

7,267 posts, read 4,605,317 times
At 63? Cripes I guess too much pasta.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:57 PM

32,111 posts, read 27,355,908 times
Default Anthony Martignetti, young star of Prince Spaghetti Commercials Dies, aged 63

Boston's North End lost one of their famous sons today!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...rcial-dead-63/

Grew up in an Italian-American neighborhood with tons of guys named "Anthony", needless to say those Prince spaghetti commercials made their lives miserable. Hahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 08-24-2020, 11:32 PM

4,892 posts, read 13,899,042 times
For another C-D thread, with a link that doesn't hit a paywall:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...netti-who.html

Old 08-25-2020, 03:13 PM

2,954 posts, read 5,233,123 times
Sorry to hear.

Was he in a series of Prince commercials over his youth, or just one?

I don't think Prince is a national brand? So maybe he was famous only locally or regionally?

Isn't the Prince building/factory now a condo in the North End? Atlantic Avenue/Commercial Street, I think? I think the original "Prince" letters are on the facade?

Did locals primarily favor Prince products back then, or just the generic store brand if not wealthy?

Old 09-01-2020, 09:57 AM

448 posts, read 285,481 times
If you watched tv then, with the rabbit ears, you knew this commercial. A classic Bostonian one.

Shame indeed.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:36 PM

9,958 posts, read 7,333,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Sorry to hear.

Was he in a series of Prince commercials over his youth, or just one?

I don't think Prince is a national brand? So maybe he was famous only locally or regionally?

Isn't the Prince building/factory now a condo in the North End? Atlantic Avenue/Commercial Street, I think? I think the original "Prince" letters are on the facade?

Did locals primarily favor Prince products back then, or just the generic store brand if not wealthy?
He did just the one commercial although some thought it was him coming through the door in the remake:

https://youtu.be/Jc6aaMQQb40

Prince is a regional brand.

Prince was the preferred brand - I don't recall another brand being available at the time. I had a friend who moved to Texas in the late 80's and would pack Prince in his suitcase in his suitcase to take back to Dallas.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:15 PM

636 posts, read 711,604 times
Prince spaghetti was the best,highly rated by Consumer Reports for years.
About 1999ish something, the Prince spaghetti was sold or something. End of Best.

The commercial and ''Anthony' were famous because back in the 1960s-1970s, people only had 3 television channels to watch and were subject to seeing the same commercials over and over and over again. Thus 'Anthony ' and the commercial became legendary because of over play.

The commercial and ''Anthony', very overrated.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:07 AM

2,954 posts, read 5,233,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
He did just the one commercial although some thought it was him coming through the door in the remake:

https://youtu.be/Jc6aaMQQb40

Prince is a regional brand.

Prince was the preferred brand - I don't recall another brand being available at the time. I had a friend who moved to Texas in the late 80's and would pack Prince in his suitcase in his suitcase to take back to Dallas.
Does anyone on this thread really think Prince is the best local pasta on the supermarket shelves....or is it ok to buy the store brand? Barelli is usually the other brand seen in the region. And whatever happened to Creamette -- was that the name? Or maybe I saw it in other parts of the country only, can't recall. I tend to buy various brands, both generic and name brand, but still not sure after all these years if the supermarket brand truly is inferior, in taste and/or texture.

Yes, supposedly deCecco is superior to all or most available commercial pastas and some will pay the much higher price, though it comes on sale occasionally but is still more expensive. I tried it a few times years ago and at first convinced myself it was better in texture and/or taste or whatever....but now I can't decide if that's true. Maybe people buy deCecco mainly for the snob appeal? Any of you prefer deCecco? Is it pronounced "de Checko"?

Old 09-17-2020, 06:10 AM

9,958 posts, read 7,333,058 times
For dry pasta, I buy the store brand.

Prince is owned by Riviana Foods who also happens to own Creamette as well as a number of other brands. I believe the brands are offered regionally where they originated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: