Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 2,842 times

Advertisements

Purchased a property with a 1 car unpermitted garage reno. What's the best way to go about getting it up to code. House is old so maybe grandfathered in ?

Am I looking at inspector making holes in walls to check out reno ?

Last edited by TopCorner; 09-17-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 09:23 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCorner View Post
Purchased a property with a 1 car unpermitted garage reno. What's the best way to go about getting it up to code. House is old so maybe grandfathered in ?

Am I looking at inspector making holes in walls to check out reno ?
Assuming it's been there a while and not a tear down concern, your best course of action is to have a professional (e.g., inspector, licensed electrician, plumber, etc.) review for possible safety issues.

Note: One should not confuse 'up to code' with 'safe' or 'good'. For example: A Square D QO panel without ground fault protected circuits no longer satisfies NEC/MA code, but it's not something (IMO) which is high risk or worth the expense of updating ... particularly if updated to lesser panel/breaker. There are also plenty examples of min code compliance being less than ideal, for example: M copper tubing is often used in heating systems when L or K pipe is a relatively minor up charge is rated for much long life. Long of the short: an inspector stating something is "out of code" should not necessarily be conflated with it being "unsafe".

If there are not any safety issues, I'd advise not touching it. Once you do, you open up the possibility of expensive code compliance updates throughout the structure. If the structure, electrical, and plumbing (if any) were all code compliant at the time of build, don't "go there".

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 09-18-2020 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-18-2020, 09:36 AM

Thank you

The issue I have is that they left the garage door in place. So half the garage was used as storage with the other half being used to extend the living room divided by plaster wall containing insulation etc and a door to enter the storage area

I’d like to remove the garage door and fill up with a wall and insulation etc

But if I go about this I’d need a permit and then the conversion would be flagged ??

Old 09-18-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Thank you

The issue I have is that they left the garage door in place. So half the garage was used as storage with the other half being used to extend the living room divided by plaster wall containing insulation etc and a door to enter the storage area

I’d like to remove the garage door and fill up with a wall and insulation etc

But if I go about this I’d need a permit and then the conversion would be flagged ??
Correct, which is why you should have a qualified professional take a look prior to pulling a permit. It might not be a big deal to bring up compliance, or you might find out you have improper offset and suddenly the neighbor does care.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:44 PM

Thanks, I would have no offset issues but don’t fancy inspector knocking down walls etc

The existing Reno looks good to be fair but afraid of what I can’t see

Old 09-18-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I would have no offset issues but don’t fancy inspector knocking down walls etc

The existing Reno looks good to be fair but afraid of what I can’t see
I assume there's at least electrical. Plumbing too?

If just electrical, you should be able to tell a lot by simply pulling outlets/fixtures and ensuring proper gauge romex (per the breaker amperage it's attached to), correct wire nut connections, etc. You won't see whether the wire was correctly stapled in the walls or if there are hidden junction boxes, but typically you can tell the likely hood of non-compliant work by looking over the work/house ... hacks gon' hack.

Talk to a remodel contractor ... most are experienced in working with older non-compliant non-permitted homes with decades of DIY work. They can advise so long as you're willing to pay them for their time. They are extremely busy right now, however.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:27 PM

Thanks, will do

Yes there are a few electrical wall outlets and baseboard heating connected to oil etc

Looks like they upgraded the electrical panel also without permit and not sure when that was done either. Panel looks ok though

Will the code inspector look at the while house or just the room I’m worried about if he visits etc.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:34 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,557 times
It sounds like it would be worth having someone come by and look first. For the panel, an electrician will be able to tell right away if your panel is in good shape. I've seen people do a 200A service upgrade and not change the service entrance cable from their old 60A fusebox. Other times everything is 100% fine. You will definitely get called out by the inspector for unrelated issues with your panel.

The inspector typically won't bother you for existing work, but it all depends on how glaring it is and how strict they are. In Somerville I used to only allow them in through my garage and walk with them the whole time because the electrical inspector would search for things. I just had something inspected yesterday in my new town and the guy told me my work looked great and was out in 2 minutes.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:04 AM

363 posts, read 513,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
It sounds like it would be worth having someone come by and look first. For the panel, an electrician will be able to tell right away if your panel is in good shape. I've seen people do a 200A service upgrade and not change the service entrance cable from their old 60A fusebox. Other times everything is 100% fine. You will definitely get called out by the inspector for unrelated issues with your panel.

The inspector typically won't bother you for existing work, but it all depends on how glaring it is and how strict they are. In Somerville I used to only allow them in through my garage and walk with them the whole time because the electrical inspector would search for things. I just had something inspected yesterday in my new town and the guy told me my work looked great and was out in 2 minutes.

OP, if you're using the space just for yourself, def the other user's advice to have a private electrician come and have a look might be a good idea. Inspectors can range, as has been noted.

"it all depends on how glaring it is and how strict they are" Exactly so.

If it were an 'illegal' apartment, well, that would be another matter. I wouldn't worry about nosy neighbors, since it's inside your garage, unless there is some concern.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
This is why, IMO, it's a good idea pay a local private contractor, electrician, plumber, etc. (depending on scope) to review the existing structure during the quoting process. They're going to know how torturous a town inspector might be about unpermitted work ... as you state, it varies greatly from town to town.

OP, to be clear: Town inspector is not equal to a private independent inspector. I'd personally forgo the latter and talk to a capable local contractor (GC) who has existing relations with subs (electricians, plumbing, etc.). He or she will know what they're dealing with as they'll have to pull the permits and deal with the town inspector directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts