Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 02:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No. Not really.

Revere, Natasket, and Hampton Beach are the closest.

Beach is really only usable 4 months a year.
Nantasket? Maybe pre1995. But now? It resembles Long Branch Nj if you are familiar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 06:13 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Is the OP asking for a comparison based on a nostalgic view of Venice Beach or the Skid Row reality that it is today? I'm pretty sure there aren't any large scale homeless encampments in Salisbury, Hampton, Old Orchard Beach, or Revere. I was in OOB recently it looked fairly intact. Anyway, when I hear Venice Beach in 2020, this comes to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzWSowCz_Ow

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-08-2020 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-08-2020, 07:34 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
that's an interesting video but I would add a few things. Mass and NY have a right to shelter law. this means they have to make attempts to house people. Long ago we had that hotel problem and I even heard in NY that some of the mafia was making cheap motels to house theirs.

I'd kinda add this. On beaches in CA you can see a sunset and that's a great selling point for restaurants with dinner. Restaurants make money with dinner, not nearly as much with lunch and breakfast. Try as I might but outside of a few b&b's I can't think of that many that would argue of watching a sunrise with breakfast. Weather in CA is more constant so it's a slower pace of life (for the most part) so people take their time. Northeast it changes constantly so if its a good day we want to take advantage.

BTW yes I am aware that there are sunsets on water on the east coast but that's largely out of Buffalo NY.
https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/...-over-buffalo/

Old 10-08-2020, 07:45 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

BTW yes I am aware that there are sunsets on water on the east coast but that's largely out of Buffalo NY.
Provincetown and Wellfleet with sunsets over Cape Cod Bay are the best I've seen on the east coast. Also sunsets over Lake Champlain from the Burlington, VT waterfront backdropped with the Adirondacks are pretty stellar, probably more impressive that what Buffalo offers.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:52 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Let's not forget that Florida exists.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:56 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
PAlso sunsets over Lake Champlain from the Burlington, VT waterfront backdropped with the Adirondacks are pretty stellar, probably more impressive that what Buffalo offers.
That may be a pretty sunset but it's not really over water.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:00 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Let's not forget that Florida exists.
I am pretty sure you can see them in parts of Long Island and over the Chesapeake and Delaware bays. And the islands off NC, NJ etc.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Provincetown and Wellfleet with sunsets over Cape Cod Bay are the best I've seen on the east coast. Also sunsets over Lake Champlain from the Burlington, VT waterfront backdropped with the Adirondacks are pretty stellar, probably more impressive that what Buffalo offers.
I have friends with a house on Scraggy Neck on the Buzzards Bay side of Bourne near the North Falmouth line. They get the sunset over Buzzards Bay every evening. Sconticut Neck in Fairhaven. Mishaum Point in South Dartmouth. Gooseberry Neck in Westport. Cuttyhunk. The Gay Head Light / Aquinnah part of the Vineyard. There are lots of southwest-facing places to see the sunset over the ocean in Massachusetts.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:26 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
The one I thought of was Ocean Beach in New London CT because it has amusements and a boardwalk. The demographic may or not meet the OP's desires.

It is important to note that swimming season in NE is only 4-5 mos long. If you surf, it might be longer.

https://ocean-beach-park.com/family-activities/

Old 10-08-2020, 12:31 PM

432 posts, read 415,448 times
Another vote for Hampton Beach, but I would add a side trip to Portsmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts