Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 04:45 PM

5,174 posts, read 2,747,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It must be terrible to be so paranoid.

We can thank our wonderful mass media for this, along with our educational system which has largely abandoned emphasizing critical thinking skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 05:16 PM

15,897 posts, read 21,520,399 times
I have horrible allergies basically year round at this point, but in a particularly sneezy fashion in fall. I feel like I always have to sneeze right when I get in line.

Normally, I can hold it in. If I can't and I'm not in line, I book it down an aisle so I can sneeze away from people. If I'm in line, I turn to face whichever direction has the least people, hold the top of my mask closed with one hand, and bury my face in my elbow.

Masks mitigate, but they don't prevent the spread. Sneezing and coughing into a mask is still higher risk than, well, not sneezing or coughing in the mask.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Bostongymjunkie wants us to apply common sense. How do we do that?

You READ, that's how. Read studies, read articles, read expert opinions, then you synthesize what you read, think critically, and use a common sense approach to living. My reference to common sense was made on this forum among people who allegedly stay informed on certain issues. Obviously it was not made on CNN. I'm sorry you don't have common sense, but if someone is reasonably well-informed and can think critically then one should be able to figure that out. First step toward common sense: stay informed. Second step toward common sense don't panic. If you need a little help on common sense approaches to COVID here you go:

https://www.trustmarkbenefits.com/he...he-coronavirus

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/187...pproach-covid/

https://wellnessmama.com/podcast/coronavirus/

Does it make common sense to hide out in your house in fear if you are not in a high-risk group? The data does not support this, nor does it support looking at everyone in fear as if they are out to infect you. It makes much more sense to protect yourself not to try to control the world around you. The world has to go on. People have been going to work and living their lives to sustain our survival. Hiding out and being paranoid is not a rational option unless you are high-risk. The virus is not going to stop, we can only mitigate the risk.

Quote:
Most people would probably assume it's relatively safe to be around family and close friends...and strangers are the danger. Right?

Let's see, if common sense doesn't exist in any form, how can you somehow discern what "most people" assume? An assumption on the part of "most people" would generally amount to some form of common thinking, would it not? I will be the first to acknowledge that many people don't possess common street sense. But this can be attributed to a number of factors including a society which is being manipulated to essentially cater to people more and more, aided by technology. To answer your question, no, I don't think reasonably informed people believe its safe to be around family and friends who also interact in the world, without practicing BASIC public health guidance.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-14-2020 at 05:38 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 05:51 PM

18,101 posts, read 9,429,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
What about the estimate was off? What should it be instead? How you make it better?
jay, too many unknowns.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:58 PM

18,101 posts, read 9,429,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It must be terrible to be so paranoid.
Paranoia involves believing a threat exists when it actually doesn't.

7.94 million cases, 216k deaths

^ seems pretty real to me.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:22 PM

3,512 posts, read 1,608,190 times
Quote:
Paranoia involves believing a threat exists when it actually doesn't.

7.94 million cases, 216k deaths

^ seems pretty real to me.
numbers are inflated. your chance of death is close to none compared to driving a car.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:28 PM

943 posts, read 414,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
numbers are inflated. your chance of death is close to none compared to driving a car.
That is a pretty ridiculous statement. During the shutdown, car travel was way down, but there were still a huge number of excess deaths.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:31 PM

943 posts, read 414,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It would be decent advice only if common sense was at all "common".
Spot on. At today's press conference in RI, they reported that 60% of workers diagnosed with covid went to work for at least a day while symptomatic. If they go to work, why won't they stop by a grocery store to pick up essentials?

Old 10-14-2020, 07:49 PM

3,512 posts, read 1,608,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
That is a pretty ridiculous statement. During the shutdown, car travel was way down, but there were still a huge number of excess deaths.
you have more of a chance of a car accident. the lockdowns cause alcoholism domestic violence and suicides to go up. The lockdowns caused more death than the actual virus.

the numbers are inflated but I won't argue that with you. people want to believe what they want to believe.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Spot on. At today's press conference in RI, they reported that 60% of workers diagnosed with covid went to work for at least a day while symptomatic. If they go to work, why won't they stop by a grocery store to pick up essentials?

Which is why you should be focusing on protecting yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts