Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 09:18 AM

1,069 posts, read 751,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Elizabeth Warren is throwing her name into the Biden bowl in hopes that he will pick her out for a spot on his cabinet. Why does she keep turning away from us?

I remember when she was running for her seat the last time. Her challenger Geoff Diehl was campaigning like a mad man and where was Warren? She was out of state campaigning for other Democrats? She told us her number one concern was the People of Mass but she really does have her eyes on DC. Despite Diehl telling us what Warren was really up to the voters handed her an easy victory.

I think it is wrong that Warren is so eager to leave us behind for her DC ambitions.

There's talk of appointing her the Secretary of Treasury. Ironically, her legal expertise is in bankruptcy law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 11:39 AM

9,935 posts, read 7,303,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't follow. Republican governor. 48-ish Democrat Senators with a slight chance of winning two Georgia runoff elections in January. There is 0% chance Elizabeth Warren leaves the Senate for something like Treasury Secretary.
And if the Senate stays red, there is no way she would be confirmed. She's too far to the left to be heading the Treasury. The Biden administration doesn't want to waste time or political capital on someone like Warren.

She'll be far more useful in the Senate than in the Cabinet.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:55 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
And if the Senate stays red, there is no way she would be confirmed.
The left is already starting to put pressure on Biden but the GOP isn't going to confirm anyone from the left and this is going to increase tensions inside the democratic party insanely...

Old 11-09-2020, 12:00 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,863,802 times
I know this isn't the politics area but there was this over the weekend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...a91_story.html

I don't care what job you have or where you work. A three hour conference call with yelling and interrupting is not a good sign. Yes Trump lost but at what cost? congress apparently. Reminds me of the 90's and how many republicans raised funds just by mentioning Clinton.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:27 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,337,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't follow. Republican governor. 48-ish Democrat Senators with a slight chance of winning two Georgia runoff elections in January. There is 0% chance Elizabeth Warren leaves the Senate for something like Treasury Secretary.
Scott Brown also won his special election only because Martha Coakley phoned it in so poorly it made Hillary look like she had to give in 2016. A reasonable Democrat opponent will sweep that seat in a hurry, so we'd be looking at a very temporary shift if Baker tempted fate and picked a Republican.

I do agree the chances are near 0%, but if the right position came along that let her do what she does best - reel in financial and banking sleazeballs - it may prove too tempting an opportunity to miss.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-09-2020 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: language

Old 11-09-2020, 05:20 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,252,766 times
I agree with previous posters that there is no way in Heck that Warren gets a cabinet seat if it means giving up a senate seat. On the local news tonight (Channel 5) they were talking about this and said the legislature is actually considering passing a bill that would "fix" this. They can't change it to provide the legislature would fill the vacancy but they could make other chnages like requiring their approval. https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign...izabeth-warren

I certainly hope they don't do this....this kind of purely partisan gamesmanship is ugly regardless of the party perpetuating it.

I also thing that Biden will have at least some pause because right now he needs to send a message. Of course both the moderate and the left wings of the party are watching for that message to break in their direction. But I would handicap it at 90% chance the Senate stays in Republican control regardless of the Warren seat so I think they will be more interestedin showing the tendency toward moderate.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:22 PM

3,979 posts, read 5,810,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Elizabeth Warren is throwing her name into the Biden bowl in hopes that he will pick her out for a spot on his cabinet. Why does she keep turning away from us?

I remember when she was running for her seat the last time. Her challenger Geoff Diehl was campaigning like a mad man and where was Warren? She was out of state campaigning for other Democrats? She told us her number one concern was the People of Mass but she really does have her eyes on DC. Despite Diehl telling us what Warren was really up to the voters handed her an easy victory.

I think it is wrong that Warren is so eager to leave us behind for her DC ambitions.
I don't know how else to obtain a position in a president's cabinet. I suppose Warren can send in her cover letter and resume like the rest of us and hope that she gets a position based on her qualifications on the job. Maybe we as a society ought to do away with appointed positions in government and have only elected positions and cold hire positions. That though would cut down on favoritism for sure and cut down on ill-qualified office holders but it would also contribute to government disunity. Imagine if you were newly elected Mayor, Governor, or President needing to "hire" a cabinet, a former colleague from a previous job whom you know very well and worked very closely with you in the past wants a position but you tell him or her "nope, sorry you have to go through the hiring process just like everyone else". You might end up 1)losing a close confidant who might stick with you through bad times and 2) hire someone who knows how to do the job but has no real interest in helping you, acting kind of like a mercenary. How confident are you that you will govern efficiently with such a cabinet?

When Mitt Romney declined to run again as governor, I felt the same way. He was arguably a decent governor, not stellar but good enough to win again if he so chooses but nope he set his eyes at the Federal level and that was that. Now come to think of it, what Romney did was not immoral because he too had the right to be ambitious and set his hopes high just like anyone else. There is no loyalty to anyone until you are content and that is usually until you reached your highest achievement.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:09 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,352,920 times
Warren is no less or more of a politician we have seen lately. To say a Republican would stay in the senate and decline a federal position is pure partisan conjecture.
I have some respect for her because she was not shy about confronting the sleazy banking industry, especially the CEO of Wells Fargo when she told him he should resign.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:17 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,062,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Unless he runs again in 2024.
He won’t run again.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:47 PM

15,844 posts, read 20,665,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
He won’t run again.
Would anything surprise you these days when it comes to what Trump does?

https://www.axios.com/trump-2024-pre...source=twitter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts