Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 11:35 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,750,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I've come across a few older houses with electric furnaces which are pretty unusual. The most common older electrical heating system though seems to be electric baseboard which I hate. I have hot water baseboard in my house now and I hate that too. I'm quite sure my next house will have some form of forced hot air heating or I probably will not buy it.
Best HVAC is forced air gas heat and do not forget the AC part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 12:10 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Maybe in a temperate climate and/or a strapped budget.

I'd rather have hydronic radiant flooring (if NG is available) and ducted Mitsu/Diakin heat pumps for the hot/humid weather. Heat pumps if in oil/propane country.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:49 PM

13 posts, read 8,649 times
I'm not a fan of split level homes, like at all. I won't even look at the listing.

also, don't want a home with a pool. If it has a pool it's a turn off for me. don't want the added liability and maintenance. If priced right maybe there's room in budget to remove it but then I've heard is not worth it to do that so it's usually a pass...

Old 11-17-2020, 01:57 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,360,241 times
Location.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Off street parking

Old 11-24-2020, 12:13 PM

137 posts, read 149,940 times
No main road - I never can understand why anyone would want to live on a main road!

Also a flood zone- would not want the extra insurance costs with it.

A very pricey repair you need to do ASAP - like a roof, septic tank, etc.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
Also a flood zone- would not want the extra insurance costs with it.
You can often get the flood insurance transferred from the previous owner, grandfathered at the same rate. If so, flood insurance can be surprisingly reasonable (10% the cost of a new policy in some cases).

Old 11-25-2020, 07:30 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
You can often get the flood insurance transferred from the previous owner, grandfathered at the same rate. If so, flood insurance can be surprisingly reasonable (10% the cost of a new policy in some cases).
Depends on the risk assessment. When in the RE market, I toured a home which abutted Nashua river watershed. The floodplain had been listed as either a 50 or 100yr event, however two events within the last 20 years proved the original floodplain map was not conservative enough.

Insurance was 6.5x that of homes just outside the new floodplain mapping. Big 'oof' for the sellers who ended up selling for well below market sqft/$.

Unless one has the capital to avoid requiring flood insurance, it's probably best to avoid it in MA. Outside of the coastal areas and a few pockets scattered throughout the state, there's plenty of low risk land available within markets.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:05 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My personal favorite HVAC system is Hydro-air. The heating happens in a boiler and then in the air mover there is a coil of hot water. It's less dry than traditional forced hot air plus you can have an indirect hot water tank which is something that I like vs. a traditional hot water heater (I'm still not sold on the "on demand" hot water heaters).

In terms of A/C, I would never buy a house that didn't already have central air unless I planned on installing C/A right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Maybe in a temperate climate and/or a strapped budget.

I'd rather have hydronic radiant flooring (if NG is available) and ducted Mitsu/Diakin heat pumps for the hot/humid weather. Heat pumps if in oil/propane country.
The thing I really hate about my hot water baseboard is that it takes FOREVER for the heating system to noticeably warm the house. I do have plenty of insulation and while my windows are double pane they are older. So, my thought is that the house is decently insulated and if there is a problem is just with the physics of hot water baseboard. Maybe hydronic radiant flooring would be better as it's a larger surface area though.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:12 AM

875 posts, read 664,957 times
We have hydronic radiant heating in the floor of our main level - highly recommend and would never go back. Not that difficult or expensive to add if you have access to the joist bays in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts