Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 11:25 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times

Advertisements

I miss having the choice to abruptly decide to jump on a bus from South Station to Manhattan.

But I feel it may be too risky to have 43 passengers crammed in with no windows available to open, and just the front door which only gets opened four hours later if the bus doesn't stop for a quick break. I recall a Chinatown bus I was on several years ago which had a small roof opening near the back third of the bus, but it annoyingly kept vibrating or flapping.

Amtrak, I believe, mentions in their occasional radio ads that
their cars are monitored well for sanitation...and I think they've even installed upgraded ventilation now? Or maybe it's just been better ventilated only for their expensive Acela business-class cars?

Yes, and I realize airlines do nowadays claim their ventilation has been upgraded (in fact, I think they've always seemed to claim so, at least in recent years.) But it seems to me there's always been most passengers who think it's stale and trapped air, leading to possible illness. But I've never felt I'll when coming off a flight or even days later. Not sure if all airlines can legitimately claim excellent circulation systems nowadays, or just the major respected ones. Maybe it's all false advertising.

Yet, regarding the packed buses, I don't recall any reports of any kind in the news about the virus transmitting through a bus. Hard to believe. And I'd hate for passengers to be chatting or on the phone, even wth masks. Plus, I hate to see people on the phone or chatting just on a short subway ride nowadays!

Would most of you be reluctant to ride on a bus to New York City or similar distances, or even feel comfortable in welcoming holiday family and friends who've just been on a packed bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 11:36 PM

943 posts, read 410,776 times
STILL too risky? It's now riskier than ever...There is a famous study from Asia where they traced who got infected on a bus https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/h...bus-china.html
I have also seen quite a few reports on bus drivers being infected (and dying from covid, both in the US and Asia). The first domestic case in Japan was linked to bus tours of touristshttps://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japanese-driver-of-Chinese-tourist-bus-contracts-coronavirus
So yes, not safe.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
STILL too risky? It's now riskier than ever...There is a famous study from Asia where they traced who got infected on a bus https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/h...bus-china.html
I have also seen quite a few reports on bus drivers being infected (and dying from covid, both in the US and Asia). The first domestic case in Japan was linked to bus tours of touristshttps://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japanese-driver-of-Chinese-tourist-bus-contracts-coronavirus
So yes, not safe.
You're right, riskier than ever.

And even some taxi and Uber drivers in the spring died worldwide, but I haven't heard much of that lately, thankfully. Or of as much illness anymore from grocery store workers or warehouse workers. A friend pushes carriages at Market Basket, is over 60, and somehow doesn't mention being worried. I assume he does get ample fresh air pushing carriages.

I'd rather fly than take a bus currently.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:24 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'd rather fly than take a bus currently.
Given my olfactory memories of the #39 bus, I don't imagine buses are exchanging air at nearly the same rate as your standard-issue 737 or A320.

I'm with you on this assessment.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Given my olfactory memories of the #39 bus, I don't imagine buses are exchanging air at nearly the same rate as your standard-issue 737 or A320.

I'm with you on this assessment.
Yes, I somehow seem to trust the airlines about upgraded sanitation and ventilation.

But MBTA, office vans, school buses, Peter Pan, Trailways, Greyhound and Plymouth & Brockton buses? Not so sure.

But....in the past few weeks, I have still seen at times contractors at JFK and N. Quincy stations on the platform and/or escalator areas, spraying and wiping down surfaces. Hmmm...but have never seen it at Park Street station now in my dozen or two dozen travels thru there since spring.

Remember how New York City back in the spring shut down the subway overnights for sanitation in favor of buses only? Not sure if they're still doing that, as we now believe the air is more of the issue than surfaces. But if it's only in the air, shouldn't transit be sprayed anyway, unless it doesn't last as long in the air from all-day riders. I don't recall the MBTA ever shuttting down the subways and trolleys late night or anytime then for deep cleaning, even though we don't operate overnight here, anyway. But I guess it was never as bad here as in NYC and NJ in March and April.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
I’m not taking any form of public transportation at this point. The airlines have spent $$$ on PR. Prior to last a February I was in planes several times a month (don’t miss it at all) and I was sick quite frequently.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I’m not taking any form of public transportation at this point. The airlines have spent $$$ on PR. Prior to last a February I was in planes several times a month (don’t miss it at all) and I was sick quite frequently.
I was a career road warrior. When I started doing hand washing OCD and showering/changing clothes after flights, I stopped getting sick all the time. There’s a lot more surface transmission with the common cold which is why the initial CDC recommendation for COVID-19 was a heavy emphasis on hand hygiene. Most other diseases don’t have the level of aerosol transmission of COVID-19. Droplet transmission.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 AM

448 posts, read 282,616 times
I wouldnt take one of those buses from Boston to Ny prior to Covid, and I sure wouldnt take them now.

Just <WAY> too risky for me.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:38 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
at least with a plane they take things a bit seriously. I was on a bus in Florida once and somehow some rainwater got between some security glass and the windshield. It was orange and nasty. I was expecting to see 1970s sea monkeys floating around when I got off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts