Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 05:02 PM

21,836 posts, read 13,052,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Sure, but how do they afford it? By shoving 10 working family members in one space?
Idk but clearly they afford it somehow. Maybe 3 working adults 2 kids in an apartment?

By vetted selection they are entrepreneurial, determined and resourceful folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 07:52 PM

14,118 posts, read 15,175,073 times
Quote:
I’m not sure why so many immigrants come to Boston. Unless they are educated and will make a high salary they aren’t going to have a very good life here. Seems like immigrants are attracted to cities but they’d be just as well out by Worcester or Springfield. The cost of living in the Boston area is just so high.

I noticed people leaving Boston more often around 2014. People realized they could move to lower cost of living cities and still make a good salary. Plus a lot of people hate winter.
Beyond culture (eg Cape Verdians seeking out Cape Verdians) since the unskilled get in basically through family reunification if you’re moving from Cape Verde you’re probably going to end up wherever you Aunt or cousin is. Especially if they’re the only people who you know in North America. In that case it’s Boston. Which is also why Boston doesn’t really have a growing Mexican population.

The US immigration system really incentivizes clustering.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:40 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,460,509 times
Quote:
Sure, but how do they afford it? By shoving 10 working family members in one space?
They’re not living in a Back Bay brownstone or a single family home in Hingham. They’re living in tenement buildings in neighborhoods with lousy schools where the rent is far lower. A family of four living in a, gasp, 2 bedroom apartment where the kids share a bedroom. With the lousy schools, they’re largely trapped there in generational poverty.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:57 AM

17,090 posts, read 8,713,628 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
They’re not living in a Back Bay brownstone or a single family home in Hingham. They’re living in tenement buildings in neighborhoods with lousy schools where the rent is far lower. A family of four living in a, gasp, 2 bedroom apartment where the kids share a bedroom. With the lousy schools, they’re largely trapped there in generational poverty.
I know a lot of Haitians live in Hyde Park, Cape Verdeans in Dorchester in these types of situations. It doesn't seem like the best quality of life which brings me back to my question of why do so many keep coming here. I guess it's better than Haiti or Cape Verde but not sure they are helping make Boston a better place.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:58 AM

7,948 posts, read 7,883,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The US immigration system really incentivizes clustering.
Sort of but it can get deeper than that. In western mass many immigrants differed except in religion. Many Catholics so the churches were fuller longer. In Eastern mass to be frank no one really cared about what the churches said or did when I was growing up. Western mass still has sway. They still own buildings and land. It's like going back in time 45 years.

Generational poverty has to be broken.
https://ips-dc.org/report-the-road-to-zero-wealth/

It isn't that people aren't buying assets technically but they buy things that drop in value. You can flip a house but you can't exactly flip a car. They drop in value, require maintenance and you finance them. Constant instant immediate gratification leads to short term thinking and survival.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:57 AM

21,836 posts, read 13,052,800 times
Quote:
I know a lot of Haitians live in Hyde Park, Cape Verdeans in Dorchester in these types of situations. It doesn't seem like the best quality of life which brings me back to my question of why do so many keep coming here. I guess it's better than Haiti or Cape Verde but not sure they are helping make Boston a better place.
Umm..you check out the alternatives?

I’d rather be a bit crowded and have amenities and cleanliness as opposed to Waterbury CT, Irvington NJ, Bronx NY, Woonsocket RI, Lawrence MA etc etc? You checked those “cheap” places out? They’re not that cheap and they’re not worth it. That’s why those cities are not growing (except Lawrence).

Old 12-24-2020, 08:12 AM

17,090 posts, read 8,713,628 times
Right it seems like Lawrence does have a large immigration population as well. I am not familiar with the other places. There is life in other states though.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:36 AM

14,118 posts, read 15,175,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Isn’t kids sharing a room like totally normal?

Old 12-24-2020, 11:21 AM

12,263 posts, read 8,205,118 times
I know thres a family in Dorchester who has a 9 bedroom Victorian. They rent out the Victorian to three family (Each 2 bedrooms) and split the rent 3 ways (~1800 for 2 beds each family). If you two working adults in one bedroom and 2 kids in another bedroom.

I think 1800 is manageable for working 45 hours a week at ~15 an hour. Its not ideal especially in a place like the Dot. But its there.

Most Dominicans, Haitians and Cape Verdeans I know work for about 16-20 an hour who are new to the country. Not terrible.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:34 AM

10,077 posts, read 15,793,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Isn’t kids sharing a room like totally normal?
It can be, depends on the ages and sexes and how many to a room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts