Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 11:41 AM

23,919 posts, read 19,096,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Umm..you check out the alternatives?

I’d rather be a bit crowded and have amenities and cleanliness as opposed to Waterbury CT, Irvington NJ, Bronx NY, Woonsocket RI, Lawrence MA etc etc? You checked those “cheap” places out? They’re not that cheap and they’re not worth it. That’s why those cities are not growing (except Lawrence).

You are naming all ghetto areas in the generally overpriced NE corridor. There are far more reasonable places elsewhere in the country with more similar weather to where most of them come from, as well as "in between" areas within the Northeast itself that are not super expensive (Boston) or super ghetto (Lawrence).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 11:43 AM

23,919 posts, read 19,096,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I know thres a family in Dorchester who has a 9 bedroom Victorian. They rent out the Victorian to three family (Each 2 bedrooms) and split the rent 3 ways (~1800 for 2 beds each family). If you two working adults in one bedroom and 2 kids in another bedroom.

I think 1800 is manageable for working 45 hours a week at ~15 an hour. Its not ideal especially in a place like the Dot. But its there.

Most Dominicans, Haitians and Cape Verdeans I know work for about 16-20 an hour who are new to the country. Not terrible.

I assume you mean 2 adults working 45 hours a week each? Because one person doing 45 hours at $15/hr can no way afford that $1800/mo.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:59 AM

17,091 posts, read 8,713,628 times
I wouldn't say kids of the same gender sharing a room is abnormal these days, but it seems to be rarer. The average home around here is 3-4 bedrooms and people typically have 2-3 kids. So there's not always a need to have to share a room. Now if someone has a 3 bedroom house and has 3 or 4 kids then I guess they'd have to share a bedroom.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:52 PM

21,836 posts, read 13,052,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I wouldn't say kids of the same gender sharing a room is abnormal these days, but it seems to be rarer. The average home around here is 3-4 bedrooms and people typically have 2-3 kids. So there's not always a need to have to share a room. Now if someone has a 3 bedroom house and has 3 or 4 kids then I guess they'd have to share a bedroom.
Yea but in the city it’s pretty normal.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You are naming all ghetto areas in the generally overpriced NE corridor. There are far more reasonable places elsewhere in the country with more similar weather to where most of them come from, as well as "in between" areas within the Northeast itself that are not super expensive (Boston) or super ghetto (Lawrence).
People arent going to immigrate to the cheaper parts because they don’t have cars or personal connections out there. Also the social safety net isn’t as robust. MA is also appealing because immigrants know there’s tons of ways to access great education and jobs. Little harder to do that in Phoenix or Raleigh.

Obviously immigrant migrate to ghetto areas of the northeast including ghetto Boston neighborhoods because the local governments need them to fill service jobs and housing other people don’t voluntarily want. Despite what we talk about on this board -most normal regular Americans don’t want to live in an area as crowded, and faded looking as inner city Boston.

I’m back in the city right now and am driving around. I’m still surprised how grimy it is despite the grentrification-I totally see why middle class families wouldn’t want to live in Allston or Hyde Park and you need to import people.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:58 PM

17,091 posts, read 8,713,628 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but in the city it’s pretty normal.
Depends on which neighborhood. It’s actually probably not a bad thing for siblings to share a room. Probably gives people certain positive characteristics in life since it involves sharing a space. I always had my own room. I never had a sister, I’m sure nice bonds are formed from sibling room sharing. Too bad many just view it as not providing well for their kids if they don’t have their own room these days.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I know thres a family in Dorchester who has a 9 bedroom Victorian. They rent out the Victorian to three family (Each 2 bedrooms) and split the rent 3 ways (~1800 for 2 beds each family). If you two working adults in one bedroom and 2 kids in another bedroom.

I think 1800 is manageable for working 45 hours a week at ~15 an hour. Its not ideal especially in a place like the Dot. But its there.

Most Dominicans, Haitians and Cape Verdeans I know work for about 16-20 an hour who are new to the country. Not terrible.
1800 is a good price and I think common in a lot of Boston. A lot of people just don’t use those online boards we do. But I think 1900-2000 seems abbot more common for a 2BR. Of course they can be had for less in Quincy, Lynn, Randolph, Everett and Chelsea.

Yea a lotta folks are in a situation with 2 ppl 17/hr jobs working like 40 hours a week each. Sometimes there may be a third person bringing in some income as well. So you might be looking by at 80k for a family of 5 people or whatever. Add to this some other family and friends help, free city programming and perks of residency, and you’ll be alright.

No real savings or assets and attending mediocre schools. But isn’t that how urban life has always been for the working class?

Old 12-24-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Depends on which neighborhood. It’s actually probably not a bad thing for siblings to share a room. Probably gives people certain positive characteristics in life since it involves sharing a space. I always had my own room. I never had a sister, I’m sure nice bonds are formed from sibling room sharing. Too bad many just view it as not providing well for their kids if they don’t have their own room these days.
I’d honestly think regardless of race if you have more than 2 kids in Boston they’re gonna share a room at some point. I just don’t think there that many 4br in Boston that aren’t section 8 or public housing.

But that being said there’s definitely neighborhoods where 2 kids is a lot, let alone 3 or 4. Unheard of.

The vast majority of children in Boston live in Roxbury Dorchester Mattapan Hyde Park Roslindale and West Roxbury. Outside of Westie they’re doubling up.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:52 PM

18,237 posts, read 9,538,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
They’re not living in a Back Bay brownstone or a single family home in Hingham. They’re living in tenement buildings in neighborhoods with lousy schools where the rent is far lower. A family of four living in a, gasp, 2 bedroom apartment where the kids share a bedroom. With the lousy schools, they’re largely trapped there in generational poverty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Isn’t kids sharing a room like totally normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It can be, depends on the ages and sexes and how many to a room.
In Central Falls, RI, you have 3 families living in 3 bedroom apartments. An entire family per bedroom.

I assume it may also be like that in Chelsea and East Boston.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:01 PM

7,948 posts, read 7,883,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
In Central Falls, RI, you have 3 families living in 3 bedroom apartments. An entire family per bedroom.

I assume it may also be like that in Chelsea and East Boston.
Ugh. I'm sorry but there is fire codes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts